It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My chance to ask physics genius a question

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic
reply to post by davespanners

Ask him why using warm water for ice cubes tends to give solid ice cubes faster than when using cold water.

It's because the warm water evaporates more rapidly in the cold environment than the cold water does combined with the fact that hot water placed in a cold environment will experience a more rapid loss of temperature than cold water placed in a cold environment.

Once the hot water gets as cold as the cold water container was when you first put it in the freezer, if they still had the same amount of water, the originally hot water would never be able to win.

Since the hot water evaporated a bunch of its water out of the container, less water is required to cool and it overtakes the originally cold water and freezes first.

Without the evaporation effect the hot/warm water would always lose the cold water, since once by the time it reached the originally cold waters cold temp, the originally cold water would already be colder than it and it wouldn't have any way to catch up, being in the same place that the originally cold water started.

That's what I was told years ago by a physics teacher anyway

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Ask him why people in Australia don't fall off the earth. If his answer involves the word "gravity", just politely side step it and ask the question again

XL5

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Ask if spinning particles (plasma) in the sun are already entangled and if we could "untangle" some low energy plasma on earth and make it becone of a higher energy plasma like whats in the sun.

I figure that so much happens in the sun that we are unsure about that it may have entangled plasmas. If it does maybe we can make a direct energy teleporter or at least see what the plasma inside the sun is doing.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Lots of interesting suggestions here, although I'm not sure that bringing a tape recorder would be appropriate

Originally posted by icepack

i personally would ask about this "dove-incident" where the experiment got halted and the theory about it, that god sabotaged his/her/its disclosure.

Do you have a link that explains more about this? a quick google search didn't turn up anything, but I guess that I am searching the wrong words

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm going to be giving back the wallet on Monday, after having to move some meetings around, so if any body else has any ideas you have the weekend to think of them

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

Yes evaporation is one if the more likely explanations but my own crude experiments with water in water balloons go against this.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Well with you being the genius I would ask. DO YOU feel bad at all?

2ND

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by IllMannered
Any physics genius would probably love to explain some of the projects being worked on, especially to an honestly interested civilian. It's your only chance so don't waste it.
I think this is the best approach, let him tell you about what he knows best, his work.

Just because he's a physics genius doesn't mean he'll be an expert on some random question you come up with from the suggestions here. There's a lot of specialization in physics.

Originally posted by sremmos
Since the hot water evaporated a bunch of its water out of the container, less water is required to cool and it overtakes the originally cold water and freezes first.

That's what I was told years ago by a physics teacher anyway
That may be part of it but there's more going on than that. It's called the Mpemba effect and you can read more about it at the link.

At first sight, the behaviour seems contrary to thermodynamics. Many standard physical theory effects contribute to the phenomenon, although no single explanation is conclusive. Several effects may contribute to the observation, depending on the experimental set-up:...

I don't know why a guy working at CERN would know any more about the Mpemba effect than a guy running an ice cream shop, he might know less about it unless he's researched it for some reason..

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
you should ask him if you can meet him again for lunch when youll have more time...befriend him.

these questions and answers could go on very entertainingly for a long time if will permits it.

btw it very inspiring to see so many in this thread with an interest in quantum physics/mechanics.

the OPs post is perfect for bringing out in you what aspects of the subject you obviously want to know more about.

dont let the answer he recieves for you if he even does, be the only thing to answer your questions...research,

as for the question, i suppose the first thing you should do is just look him in the face and say one word. Quantum, you probly wont have to say much more for him to get what you want to know about

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Here's the ATS link about the bird that stopped CERN-

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-8-2010 by geo1066]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Instead of asking him questions, you could just ask your questions to one of the ATS members that work for CERN such as BhuddaSystem.

If he doesnt know I'm sure he knows someone who will.

[edit on 12/8/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Any reason you're not sharing the name?

[edit on 12-8-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
tell him you are going to the store, ask him if he wants anything. then ask him for the time. then ask him for directions. also, i might try asking him for some money. if he has a job like that he could probably lend you a little something something.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by 2weird2live2rare2die]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

Ask him why using warm water for ice cubes tends to give solid ice cubes faster than when using cold water.

because warm water evaporates more in the freezer, and it ends up condensing on the walls of the freezer. the lower amount of water remaining in the ice cubes freeze faster.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

The effect still occurs when evaporation is prevented and also when the liquid is suspended so it isnt sat on the freezer shelf.

Also see the link given by arbitrageur above.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Well, OP, what did you ask him and what did he say?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Not meeting him until Monday,

As to what I will ask, well from this thread it looks like the most burning issue in physics today is ice cubes.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Tell him that terminator birds sent from the future have stolen his wallet in a desperate bid to stop him from working on whatever it is he's working on (just say the terminator birds were non-specific in their answers)

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
In reply to the person that asked why I didn't post the scientists name, I just feel that it would be rude to post someones name without their permission, it's no big secret.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Ask him whether the Gravitation constant, G in the high school physics equation F = Gmm'/d^2 increases with an expanding universe. And if it does how are we ever going to relate it to the Coulomb constant, K given in another High School Equaion F = Kqq'/r^2.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join