It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'John Doe' Who Fought FBI Spying Freed From Gag Order After 6 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

'John Doe' Who Fought FBI Spying Freed From Gag Order After 6 Years

Online ‘John Doe’ Who Fought FBI Spying Freed From Gag Order After 6 Years

The owner of an internet service provider who mounted a high-profile court challenge to a secret FBI records demand has finally been partially released from a 6-year-old gag order that forced him to keep his role in the case a secret from even his closest friends and family. He can now identify himself and discuss the case, although he still can’t reveal what information the FBI sought.

Read More www.wired.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-8-2010 by brill]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Quite a story from Mr. Nicholas Merrill. I would encourage you to read the entire article because there are many points and concerns raised. ATS has many articles about government abuse of power and suppression of peoples fundamental rights. NSL's are not new but certainly a powerful and easily abused form of government control. Just another example of your eroding constitutional rights.

brill

Online ‘John Doe’ Who Fought FBI Spying Freed From Gag Order After 6 Years

[edit on 10-8-2010 by brill]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
What really struck me about this article is that these "National Security Letters" forbid those who receive them from contacting their lawyers:

In Merrill’s case, although the letter’s gag order “was totally clear that they were saying that I couldn’t speak to a lawyer” about it, he immediately contacted his personal attorney, and together they went to the ACLU in New York, which agreed to represent him.

“My gut feeling is I’m an American,” Merrill said, in an interview with Threat Level on Tuesday. “I always have a right to an attorney. There’s no such thing as you can’t talk to your attorney.

They're forbidden from mentioning them to anyone.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Its gag orders that make me see red, there is no court, government anyone on earth that would ever succeed in gagging me. I would grab a bullhorn and let it rip. And they would know this most definitely before they ever tried, and walk out of the room if they even spoke. I am soveriegn I dont give away my power, and they would have to kill to take it. Why has anyone allowed this? Stand up for not only yourself, but next time, you hear of this, everyone else. Do it. Write in. Phone and let them all know, you cant be gagged.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
What really struck me about this article is that these "National Security Letters" forbid those who receive them from contacting their lawyers:
They're forbidden from mentioning them to anyone.

Precisely. This is a clear violation of the 6th amendment I believe and spits in the face of the constitution. No matter what the issue is, you have the right to counsel. How can any impartial judgment be set forward when one side can't even have representation. Problem is, who do you vent to because admission invites a jail sentence. Mind boggling.

brill

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Could this be why they don't want people bringing these letters to their attorneys' attention?

About 60 percent of a sample of the FBI’s NSLs did not conform to Justice Department rules, and another 22 percent possibly violated the statute because they made improper requests of businesses or involved unauthorized collections of information.

(from the Wired article)

new topics

top topics

join