It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random lightning without any clouds or storms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The past few nights ive been sky watching and noticed the sky flashing as if a lightning storm was occuring someplace but there were no clouds and its been constant, I dont know what to make of it, perhaps its because of that recent solar flare?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Often lightning will travel horizontally across many miles, meaning it could be heat lightning or a storm could be on the horizon.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enf0rc3r
Often lightning will travel horizontally across many miles, meaning it could be heat lightning or a storm could be on the horizon.
But why does it happen every night?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

I'm not a weather expert, but heat lightning is a common summer occurance and, as I understand it, it happens because the hot air of the daytime is interacting with the cooler, nighttime air, causing static electricity to build up.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I notice you are from the midwest, reesie. You have been experiencing a bit of humidity as of late, haven't you? I have been seeing heat lighting a lot around here.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Heat lightning is most often seen at night because it's dim compared to conventional stroke lightning — if anything about lightning can be called "conventional" — and "heat lightning" is typically observed during the heat of summer.

Basically, all you're seeing are flashes of light diffused through the dense atmosphere across hundreds of miles, from very distant thunderstorms in-progress.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior

I notice you are from the midwest, reesie. You have been experiencing a bit of humidity as of late, haven't you? I have been seeing heat lighting a lot around here.
Oh yeah lots of it. your probably seeing the same thing i am, I just never saw anything like it is all, thanks for your responses!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Maybe it's the sun that is burping plasma.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdmmade
Maybe it's the sun that is burping plasma.
Yep thats the first thought that came to mind.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Maybe it is simply due to meteors?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
In this case you are lucky. I tried to spot one last night but failed.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Maybe it is simply due to meteors?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
In this case you are lucky. I tried to spot one last night but failed.

hmm possibly! But the whole sky lights up, i have seen a few shooting stars but i doubt thats it.

top topics

join