It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

its about time to start eating natural

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
all the big companyes are screwing you because you keep making them stronger.
dont you think its about time you stopped eating meat with 80% soy inside? i like soy in my soy sauce please,not in my meat.
everything for us will be alot easyer if we simple start buying fruits from a local bazaar,thats right wake up int he morning and go to the bazaar to the friendly people with tables full of fresh fruits competing who to sell you the best fruit and start shopping like don corleone. i dont see don corleone eating from mcdonalds?! don corleone bough fruits from a stand before they shot him okey?
go to the local farm or little store and get REAL MILK,and stew it to kill any bacteria.
go tot he local salamy store and get real meat from there.
the fruits in supermarkets are some imported cheap garbage/geneticaly modified and grown in laboratory with no taste. i actualy support gene manipulation as long as they make positive effects,but they dont make that. they make garbage.
i for one am starting to shop natural,and if you wont join enjoy your healthy trendy life

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I agree. I hate when people try to use the excuse that real food or healthy food is too expensive. Sure it costs more, but would you drink poisoned water if it was cheaper? If your going to cut back, you should cut back on everything else, way before you cut back on food. If healthy food is too expensive, think how much money you could save by eliminating your cable bill or daily $5 USD starbucks coffee. That's my take on it anyway.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
5$ for a starbuck cofee?woooow one BIG duner freshly made with real meat costs less.
no im sure people can find cheap normal priced fruits in the market.non of that expensive couse its real with worms in it apple cr*p in canada....guh
i will be angry if real fruit was expensive too,but im sure there are alot of places to search for normal priced natural stuff.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Get it while you can. Natural that is. There are articles out that recently genetic modified plants have escpaped the labs and are taking root in the outside world. Mingling with what was there originally and creating something altogether new. Not to mention that food from the offspring of cloned animals has now entered the market, without label. Isn't there some information about genetic modified seeds, as well? Won't be long before one cannot even grow their own, food as it was supposed to be.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
i woudlnt mind so much,if the modified fruits were better and healthier in everyway,not getting rotten quicker,theyll probably want to put fluoride in them too damn it!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Paleolithic Diets FTW!!

I may cost more (in volume), but you don't need to eat as much to feel full, less medical expenses etc - so its more than cheaper.

[edit on 10/8/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

It doesn't have to cost more, if you can buy in bulk, have a garden, access to hunting, and fishing areas. Rice, whole wheat pastas, bought in bulk, half a cow from a farmer, grow your own herbs, fruits, and vegies.

A little meal planning and it can work out to be cheaper to eat real food. The hard part is the GMO foods aren't labeled and organic is overpriced, so that part is hard to do. But if you stay away from packaged foods, and fake pies and such, it helps keep the price down.

Preparation is time consuming but it's worth it. Take a look at the label on a store packaged pumpkin pie and you won't even recognize the ingredients. Make your own. Grow your own.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

I feel one of the bigger problems is people have become dependent on the "easy" fix of food from a box. A lot of the younger generation has no idea how to cook something unless it comes out of a box, or goes straight to the microwave. I am a HUGE supporter of my local farmers market, and you would be surprised at the prices. I find better deals there buying my produce than I do at the local grocery store.

One of the reasons buying fruit and vegies from a grocery store instead of a local farmers market is that when their produce is picked, it is not ripe. It is usually packed in potassium permanganate and then ripened at the store with Ethylene gas. Hence the lack of nutrition and flavor.

As to the genetic altering of food. I think that is one of the main causes of children maturing at younger ages, and also growing so darned large these days.

You may also want to look in to a company called Monsanto and how they alter their foods. They also will sue you if you grow their "strain" of crop, even if its something you had no control over, like a storm blowing their seeds in to your garden.

There are quite a few really good documentaries out there about the food industry in the U.S. I would suggest you watch them to open your eyes on what you are putting in to your body.

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Not sure how possible it is to eat all natural.

Here's a list I found on the web and pasted it into my Notepad for future reference.

All of these foods below are using GMO ingredients.

* Frito-Lay Fritos Corn Chips
* Bravos Tortilla Chips
* Kellogg's Corn Flakes
* General Mills Total Corn Flakes Cereal
* Post Blueberry Morning Cereal
* Heinz 2 Baby Food
* Enfamil ProSobee Soy Formula
* Similac Isomil Soy Formula
* Nestle Carnation Alsoy Infant Formula
* Quaker Chewy Granola Bars
* Nabisco Snackwell's Granola Bars
* Ball Park Franks
* Duncan Hines Cake Mix
* Quick Loaf Bread Mix
* Ultra Slim Fast
* Quaker Yellow Corn Meal
* Light Life Gimme Lean
* Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix
* Alpo Dry Pet Food
* Gardenburger
* Boca Burger Chef Max's Favorite
* Morning Star Farms Better'n Burgers
* Green Giant Harvest Burgers (now called Morningstar Farms)
* McDonald's McVeggie Burgers
* Ovaltine Malt Powdered Beverage Mix
* Betty Crocker Bac-O's Bacon Flavor Bits
* Old El Paso Taco Shells
* Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

"Additionally, the following whole foods have been genetically engineered and approved for commercial sales. No labeling or long term safety tests were required. According to the New York Times, about one half of all soybeans and a third of all corn planted in 1999 were genetically modified."

* Canola Oil (rapeseed oil)
* Chicory, red hearted (Radicchio)
* Corn
* Cotton
* Papaya
* Potato
* Soybean
* Squash
* Tomato

So if the items above are base ingredients in all foods. What is left to eat?

Sorry, I did a search and cannot find the website I found this list on.

But here's some information on the Greenpeace website.

True Food Shopping List

When buying packaged food, be sure to keep a lookout for common genetically engineered ingredients such as: corn oil, corn syrup, corn starch, soy protein, soy oil, soy sauce, lecithin, cottonseed and canola oil. If your package lists one or more of these ingredients, chances are these are GE foods, unless it is otherwise labeled organic or non-GE.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
i try to eat healthy, and if possible organic.
my problem is when i'm not near a big urban area there is no trader joes.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Natural Food is food you are allowed to chew in the minds of
Corporate America.
I hear they plan on bypassing the natural process of chewing and all you have to do is drink it with a straw or iv in arm.
Once they get past that problem, then they can sew our mouths shut and
Free Speech has been dealt with.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I don't think the issue is food versus itself, such as natural meat to processed meat, though that can have big price differences too. Rather, it's the price of a McDonalds hamburger versus the price of an apple. For people who live in the "burbs", it is much easier and cheaper to run through a "drive-thru" and spend a dollar on a cheeseburger, as opposed to taking the time to walk into a super-market and purchase an apple for about the same price. While a cheeseburger can fill a child, an apple can't. Sadly, fast-food has become far cheaper than even processed foods at the supermarket, let alone natural foods. I remember when that wasn't the case, though it certainly is now. This is just fast-food versus groceries.

When you get into processed foods versus natural foods, you have the same price gaps. Why is that? Because it is cheaper to make and store processed foods, as opposed to natural foods. Add on to this the fact that corn is subsidized by the government and can be stored as a commodity, and you have cheap and unhealthy ingredients that flood the food supply chain.

Most Americans are only trying to satisfy their hunger and while fast-food will certainly do it for cheap, people aren't caring enough to eat healthy or eat real food. Other countries, even other industrialized countries aren't even close to being as bad as Americans with processed foods. I believe that the only country to even come close to the US and Canada with processed foods, is the UK and I don't even think they are quite as bad.

For instance, when I lived in Germany, I noticed that most people in that country stop by the market on their way home from work or school and buy the day's food. They purchase groceries to last maybe a day or two, which reduces the need for all of those preservatives. Americans will shop for at least a couple weeks in one market trip and then stock up on mostly processed foods. In fact, it has gotten to the point where it is hard to find *real food at most American super-markets.

If I didn't know any better, I would think there is a good case for a conspiracy to endanger the American population through fake food.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gmoneycricket

Interesting take, would make an interesting plot device in a Dystopian Film.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I completely agree, and you will find some others out there that also agree. However, the majority is completely ignorant on such topics, yet they directly affect each and every one of us. I am disgusted by the many people I meet that consume (sometimes literally) crap on a daily basis. Everyone is addicted to refined carbohydrates, sugar and unhealthy fats that, if consumed enough of, alters one's life with a serious health condition and most likely will pass on future generations of sick human beings. I do not see how people say that they just want to enjoy their lives as an excuse for damaging their bodies. This is just my opinion, but I believe that enjoying life is about improving yourself and not degrading yourself. The rewards of good health need to be understood.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Great thread! Star and flag from me

I have rediscovered over the last 2 years what food is meant to taste like. Sounds crazy right?

I grew up with garden food...fresh tomatoes, greenbeans, corn, fruit trees, eggs, ect. When I moved out on my own, I didnt pay much attention to how all the store bought foods tasted and adapted to it I guess. But when I would go home for dinner, and grandma had that fresh corn, tomatoes ect...I would be reminded how awesome my grandparents garden was...but still, I was young, just thought it was just that, that my grandparents had the good food.

A couple years ago my friend brought me some of her eggs from her chickens. I had gotten to the point of not carrying much for eggs anymore, didnt make them for breakfast anymore, didnt eat them just as 'eggs' because they just werent like what I remembered eggs being. Since my friend turned me on again to how a real egg should taste....I have not bought any more eggs from the store. I find me farmers markets, I have even driven 45 mins to a festival that occurs down south here....JUST FOR EGGS. Im not kidding one bit. I forgot what eggs were supposed to taste like and I guess I had to be in my 30's for it all to dawn on me.

This year I started my own garden. Once I planted everything, I stopped buying the PINK tomatoes at the store, for I knew....I had the real thing to wait for. Now, I am having tomatoes coming out of my ears and they are just the best damn tomatoes you will ever eat. Taste just like grandpa's tomatoes. Red as red could be. I forgot what tomatoes were supposed to taste like.

I only was able to get one good batch of my corn out of my garden this year...but it was the best darn corn you have ever ate I swear. It was so full of taste, nice thick texture to it....so unlike the rubber corn we buy in stores.

Some things dont taste too different in the stores...but tomatoes and eggs are at the top of my list for fresh foods now.

Next year Im doing a garden 3 times the size of the one I did this year...and Im canning next year too.

Go buy some store bought eggs and store bought tomatoes....then go to a farm and get you some fresh eggs and true tomatoes. I know I really freaked out at the difference and couldnt believe that I really didnt notice it all that much when I moved away from the family garden. I think some of it is because the foods were still somewhat fresh back then in the stores.

Ive become a bit of a freak now for fresh food.

Dont know anything about the soy, except for soy sauce, never made that transfer in my diet.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
thanks,i cant wait to get a garden so i can plant too,and make a river xD
as a young boy i didnt like all those fresh vegetables and fruits,i liked the store chemical stuff like snacks or "KETCHUP" instead of real tommato homemade sause.
lately ive been making pizza,and using heinz ketchup as sause,its taste and all,but i was SHOCKED! SHOCKED! when i made my own tomato juice with garlic instead of heinz,the pizza was just great O_o
there was such a big difference.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

start shopping like don corleone. i dont see don corleone eating from mcdonalds?! don corleone bough fruits from a stand before they shot him okey?

That is no way to advertise fruit.

'BUY FRUIT, GET SHOT'

But yes, your basic points are right, we should all eat healthier foods and more natural foods. Before they all become illegal.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
yes its unfortunate that he got shot right after buying fruit from a stand but well,it was very cool.
as they say the mafia family was all about whats real and whats natural.
and well maybe they didnt have markets back then but im still sure don corleone would buy from bazaar,its what every smart person is doing,go to the bazaar, shop large quantiyes of real fruits/vegiies at more cheap prices

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I grew up in the deep south in an area that straddled the truly rural and the urban. We had, in our way, the best of both worlds. I recall that, as a child, it was a rare thing to go to a fast food place. We ate what we had at home 95% of the time. My aunts and uncles all had gardens like we did and the family would get together sometime in the late winter/early spring and talk about who was going to grow what. We would all pitch in over a couple of weeks, traveling to each-other's homes to till and plant these gardens. When it was time to pick, we all pitched in as well so well all got some of what was there. We canned quite a bit back then.

Now, I miss that good food that we had then. I live in a much more urban setting these days and it's much harder to find good food. The local grocery store isn't anymore. They are all part of large chains and get their produce from south america or california. The only local farmer's market that I found sold more arts and crafts than fruits and veggies and the few that they had there weren't much to write home about. I tried to check out the local "organic market" and found that it was nothing more than a scam, the veggies were all either hot-house or hydroponic. No flavor at all worth mentioning.

I can't grow my own garden as I don't have enough land to really grow more than a couple of plants. I've tried tomatoes and done pretty well there, but I really would like to eat more than that.

The thing is that I'm not alone. Many people who live in mid-sized cities are in the same boat as myself. The city isn't big enough to attract the local farmers who find better prices selling to vendors in the metropolises and we don't have anywhere to grow our own. I am going to look a bit further afield, browsing the smaller towns outside of the immediate area, but it gets expensive when you have to drive half an hour, minimum, to get decent food.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
the fruits in supermarkets are some imported cheap garbage/geneticaly modified and grown in laboratory with no taste.

S&F just for that.

I bought some organic green apples and now I can't eat the ones from the supermarket. They just taste so watered down.

Now I know what Christopher McCandless was on about!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join