It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House gives needy states $26 billion for Medicaid, teachers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Cash-strapped states are one signature away from getting $26 billion in federal funds to shore up their budgets.

The House voted 247-161 Tuesday, with support from the Democrats and overwhelming rejection from the Republicans, to send $16.1 billion in additional Medicaid money and $10 billion to prevent layoffs of teachers and first responders. In an unusual move, representatives returned from their August recess to approve the measure.

President Obama, who urged lawmakers to pass the bill, is expected to sign it later Tuesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
money.cnn.com...

If this prevents layoffs of teachers and first responders...all for it. Way more for it that the $33 billion dollar money for war bill that passed a couple of weeks ago.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
WOWOWOW, lets spend more money!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Rather print it and spend it for a good reason and in our country than send more overseas.

What would you prefer? Unemployed teachers, law enforcement, and fire fighters?

Or perhaps to keep funneling it by the hundreds of billions into private pockets of the already filthy via wars of choice?

[edit on 8/10/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Just git this from The Guardian www.guardian.co.uk...

The US Federal Reserve tonight took a cautious step towards pumping extra liquidity into the financial system through an operation described as a "light" version of quantitative easing in response to a slowdown in the pace of America's economic recovery.

keep printing those $$'s

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Pretty much, yeah.

If the government wasn't managing the craptastic effort, it would be better off. We have public schools asking for money for teachers' supplies while they send their administration to the nicest hotels in vacation spots for overnight "bonding sessions" overhere. No one said anything until they got called out by a local paper.

Why? 'Cause their state schools.

And do we really need more police? I see plenty when I'm out and about, and getting stopped in some places where I live leads to about 3 cop cars showing up.

How about we just give the money back to the taxpayers? That would include teachers, cops, and firemen.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Haha...see? Thanks. I put that in my other thread too. But hey...if it keeps more people employed and our kids taught and streets safer...I guess the money will keep working for a bit longer.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Yea right. As it goes it would be cool to see how much of this ends up with teachers, law, fire. We should all know by now they just use these key words to throw the view. Much of this cash will be directed to other areas.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Rather print it and spend it for a good reason and in our country than send more overseas.

What would you prefer? Unemployed teachers, law enforcement, and fire fighters?

Or perhaps to keep funneling it by the hundreds of billions into private pockets of the already filthy via wars of choice?

[edit on 8/10/2010 by ~Lucidity]

Its always the teachers, law enforcement, and fire fighters. why not the use less DMV or EPA or any other ABC goverment agentcy i can come up with. Always ALWAYS is the teachers, law enforcement and fire fighter. They do it this way to make you aprove. why not cut the other agentceys first before we get to the main ones. come on people think and stop rubber stamping your approvels on these spending bills. what about the cutting bills?

[edit on 10-8-2010 by camaro68ss]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

You forgot healthcare! That's in here too.

I think what it's more about is priorities in keeping things running right now.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
spend spend spend without a thought as to where the cash comes from

a successful government whether its local,state,federal has to be self sustaining and a major portion of this fact is size. when it gets to big and does not have enough income to sustain itself theses issues arise it will be a given.

man there are so many things that can be done before it ever gets to this point.

hours cut,making full times jobs part becoming part time , salary caps,pension caps, restructuring and redistricting etc

yeah those things do suck but in tough economic times some things have to be done before the whole thing is lost.

maybe its just the over all bloatware of state governments in general

how many jobs are need in general since we are talking about state governments its most likely there are redundant jobs or jobs that are even needed.

another thing that can be done is shrinking the entilement programs. i can tell you right now anyone living on government assistance is living in poverty
and that is no life to have at all.

and lowering taxes is another part of the equation i know people will scoff at the idea but the simple fact the more moeny staying in your pockets the more you can spend on this that and the other.

simple fact when you make more money you do go out and spend more money.....

this bill solves nothing in the end because the conditions that have led to this situation still have not been addressed and wont be.

simply why address it when you can always pass a bill and print more cash.

my thoughts feel free to disagree.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinalTruth14

And do we really need more police? I see plenty when I'm out and about, and getting stopped in some places where I live leads to about 3 cop cars showing up.

I have to agree with you there, it's happened to me.

And I also think that they should stop having "police departments" in a lot of towns, there are a lot of places, like where I live, in a small "city", where there is no huge crime problem, the county Sheriff Department could take care of everything, but NO!

In the city limits of this town there still has to be a "Police Department", it is redundant and just costs the taxpayers more money because the Sheriff's Department already covers the area.

And back on topic, when is our government going to realize that this is not the "Good Times" anymore and start reigning in their spending?

We can't keep sending BILLIONS, which adds up to TRILLIONS oversees anymore, we can't afford it without "printing more money" which is just going to hurt our economy!

Sooner or later the rest of the world is going to have to realize that their "Sugar Daddy" (the US) just can't afford to give them money all the time and they have to earn their own "living".

Kinda like when it's time for your kid to start fending for themselves.

I think what the biggest problem is, is the career politicians that have been sitting their asses in Congress for 20 30 or more years just don't understand or grasp what is actually happening to the economy in the US!

I think they are too sheltered from it and just don't understand.

Kinda like trying to teach a 2nd grade student algebra, they can't comprehend what the average person is going thru!

They need to realize that, at least right now, the pot is running dry, taxpayers are earning less money and can't afford more taxes (or costs like mandated health care)!

They need to cut THEIR spending back so the American taxpayer can get back on their feet again, especially the middle class which is starting to become "endangered".

I for one won't vote for anybody who has been in Congress for more than 3 terms anymore.

I think they start making too many "FRIENDS" by then.

[edit on 8/10/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Of course the liberals want to bail out teachers, they are the ones who preach brainless drivel to American children and brain washes them in to the liberal ideology. This once again proves the government fails at every thing it attempts to run. Public government run schools are a failure, in educating the youth of America how ever they are a shining success in indoctrinating our youth.

I am willing to bet that a large portion of this money will be going to the now bankrupt state of California which the liberal agenda as run in to the ground!

Hey Washington here is an idea STOP SPENDING money you don’t have!!!! If the people of these states allowed there representatives to run rampant and bankrupt them then let them face the consequences. We do not learn from mistakes if there are no consequences!

Maybe after a few years of homes burning down and crime rates skyrocketing, the people who allowed there representatives to run these states in the ground will wake up and lay the blame at there own feet. Maybe just maybe they will be the example by which themselves and others learn from our mistakes!

Who am I kidding in the era of government bail outs and big spending the majority of America only wants hand outs? The sad part is what are we going to do when there is no money to bail out who is going to bail America out? GM, Fannie may, Bp none of them are too big to fail, however America is too big to fail! Yet we continue to allow our government to spend us in to oblivion.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Interesting message from Washington on this one. "Yes, yes... we will happily put the taxpayers deeper into debt to make sure our beloved union workers do not suffer like the average American worker has." I thank the good Lord daily that He saw fit to provide me with both a left and a right middle finger to present to these scum suckers in DC.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I was waiting until someone just went out and said it, you didn't read the article did you? "(It) is fully paid for, in part by closing tax loopholes that encourage corporations to ship American jobs overseas."

You know that tax free Cayman Islands account that some of these major corporations have? Yeah, the taxes on that pays for it.

Oh, and the 90% tax on bonuses paid to TARP recipients who recieved more than $5 billion and are making over $250,000/year. That probably helps pay for it too.

All in all I'd rather see teachers, firefighters and medicaid recipients 'bailed out' than any major corporation.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
It's just another payout to the unions. At this rate, the unions will have their war chests fully filled in time for the next elections...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Who cares where the money is comming from if its not beig set aside and saved or used to pay off the damn debt its waistfull spending! go take all your money out of your savings and spend it then try and explain to your wife or husband well honey that new speed boat or wardrobe was allready paid for!

just because you have the money availible does'nt mean you need to spend it on things are pointles. yes bailouts are pointless even for teachers, police and firemen. let these states learn there damn lesson and pay the price for there own failures!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I like how it says the "House" gives it. BULL&*$%. You know who's giving it and all the rest of the money being doled out? Current and future American Citizens.

SM2

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234

Originally posted by neo96

I was waiting until someone just went out and said it, you didn't read the article did you? "(It) is fully paid for, in part by closing tax loopholes that encourage corporations to ship American jobs overseas."

You know that tax free Cayman Islands account that some of these major corporations have? Yeah, the taxes on that pays for it.

Oh, and the 90% tax on bonuses paid to TARP recipients who recieved more than $5 billion and are making over $250,000/year. That probably helps pay for it too.

All in all I'd rather see teachers, firefighters and medicaid recipients 'bailed out' than any major corporation.

Its also paid for by cutting funding for food stamps and reducing the earned income credit on American families. Now it might not seem so drastic on the surface, but the earned income credit would be a help to millions when they file their taxes. Ya know, the people that REALLY need the help, the very same people that may need the food stamps they cut. Now, i am not a strong supporter of social programs, but I do see the basic need of them, especially now when economy is so down, a family who was doing great a few years ago, now the income is cut down to 40% of what they were making (less in a large portion), now you take away the EIC and food stamps that may have sustained them, just so you can gain some support from the teacher's unions and public workers unions . This whole thing is a political move to buy some support for the midterms and to keep union bosses pacified until the elections. what ever happened to the "if you make less then $250000 a year, i will not raise your taxes by one dime" well, this is yet another hidden tax increase on those people, as EIC is used by the millions that make an income below the poverty level.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

First of all, most of the money that is "allocated to teachers" is actually to protect only the teachers that are union workers in certain states, Obama is big on unions as anybody knows they have priority.

Second, the Medicaid is something that should make anybody afraid of what is yet to come with the new and expanded version to hit every state when the HRC takes hold, States do not have money right now to finance the cost of Medicaid now wait when more millions of Americans will start to qualify for it.

Is not going to be many private hospitals and doctors that will take them, because the record the government have on payments.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm big on unions too. Just take a look around you and see what happens without them. When they began dismantling this countryr in the Reagan years, unions are the first thing they started killing because unions would have prevented began a lot of this mess we face today.

As for Medicaid, I'm worrying about that when and if the troubles happen. Lots of doctors and hospitals don't take Medicaid now. Where's the difference there? One way or another WE pay for healthcare.

Sucks that we can't please everyone...Democrats, Advocacy Groups Blast Cuts to Food Stamps to Fund $26B Aid Bill

[edit on 8/11/2010 by ~Lucidity]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join