It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseid meteor shower 2010: Nasa says stargazers to enjoy dazzling space show

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

British stargazers are this week set for one of the most spectacular views of a meteor shower in recent memory, Nasa scientists say.

Space agency researchers say near perfect viewing conditions will produce dazzling sights from this year’s finest, and most impressive, natural fireworks show.

The show, due to peak later this week, is created from the earth travelling through a river of debris from an ancient comet, which is producing a display of shooting stars called the Perseids.

Full article here;

www.telegraph.co.uk...

hello to ATS in the UK this will be my first meteor shower experience and I'm really looking forward to it. Previous attempts to view meteor showers have been hindered by both city lights and the poor British weather. But this time I will be near a few fields and well out of the city, this coupled with apparent perfect conditions, should proved to be quite a display!

Anyone have any reliable information about when this extravaganza is going to kick off?

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10/8/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It would appear that Thursday night will be the time to see these bad boys. I'll be taking a drive out somewhere quiet to see them.

The Perseids are visible between mid-July and the end of August, but the shower will be at its best on Thursday with a new moon and dark sky.

“We’re going to get them all through the night and if you lay on your back in the garden, you should be able to see the best of them between 1am and 2am. It will be well worth getting out if the weather stays fine.”

www.walesonline.co.uk...

So Thursday night between 1 and 2 in the morning.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Now I see what's going on, thanks. I was outside last night and I saw 6 meteorites within 5 minutes.(Oregon) These things are cool and worth staying up for. I am going to try some extended open shutter photography of the event. There will be no light from the moon either so if your around any light sources, head to the countryside where you can get full darkness and a better view.
Thanks for the head's up!

spec

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I heard there was an excellent display from North Wales at the weekend. Not seen any myself yet - been too cloudy!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Yeah I heard that too, I am in the North West so quite close. I'll have a look out tonight, but I think Thursday is gonna be the night if any to see them.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Cloud over me in south Brum

The weather is looking better for Thursday though...shame ill be in London

[edit on 10/8/2010 by spolvil]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by spolvil

That's too bad, it's probably the worst place for stargazing in the UK. Good fun for everything else though

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Cool im in north devon and will be working til 1am, ill have a pint in the beer garden and watch the show

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by packinhit

That literally sounds ideal. Good luck!

There are few street lamps round here plus the motorway, so I'll have to head to nearby field.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It is never the weather that keeps me from viewing the night sky, it is the blood-thirsty mosquitoes.

We rained for the first time I can remember in over 6 months and now there are swarms everywhere. I am just a walking shish kabob.

I have access to some big sky and often see the MilkyWay, I just wish I didn't have to drench myself in pesticides to enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Not sure which is worse the mossies or those horrible chemicals
It's getting dark here so I'm gonna have a look out in a few minutes.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
reply to post by Greensage

Not sure which is worse the mossies or those horrible chemicals
It's getting dark here so I'm gonna have a look out in a few minutes.

Did you have any joy? I took a look out but had no luck seeing anything

[edit on 11/8/2010 by spolvil]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I let the Dog out last night about 1.33am...... as he was pestering me and I saw 2 'shooting stars' one after the other heading in a southerly direction. The second one was obviously much larger as it lasted for several seconds and was a great sight to see.. I know last night the night sky was really picture perfect.. You could see the milky way and there were no clouds.... I shall be out tonight as well now I know this..

Thanks for the info..

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spolvil

I had a look out between 11.30 and 2.00 but no joy. There was patchy cloud all around here coupled with the lights from the motorway it was poor visibility. Thursday night I will be taking a little trip in the car a little further into the countryside to see them!

PurpleDog sounds like you had perfect conditions there. I am determined to see them this week as I have never seen a meteor shower!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Big Raging Loner

I live in Derbyshire, few miles north of the City in a rural location... hence no street lighting..

If you know where Carsington Reservoir that's probably as good a place to minimize lighting and get a good full view of the sky...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

That does look like a good spot. Your beside the peak district too!

I'm unfortunately near the M62 (I say unfortunately but it is pretty damn good if you need to go somewhere) it's strange here there is fields and farmland all around but plenty of street lights.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Big Raging Loner

Tried to star gaze last night approx 12 -1 am but cloud cover was almost complete across the sky....

I shall try again this evening but it is raining and cloudy currently...

Also, I keep reading in odd posts about a star in the Eastern sky which is new? and behaving strangely?... Is this genuine or is someone making this up ???

I did notice an extremely bright star in the East last night quite low down in the sky... is this what some posters are on about ?? I took it to be a planet or something ??

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

poo.. wish I was there, happy viewing you lucky buggers! wonder if anything will been seen downunder?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I was out myself last night but a similar situation I'm afraid, and to top it off I woke up to rain this morning and plenty of cloud cover. It has stopped now and there is some sunshine peaking through, but I'm not getting my hopes up!

Here's the weather for the UK tonight. This is supposed to be the best night to see them...

www.metcheck.com...

news.bbc.co.uk...

CX

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I was out on my camp bed in the garden from 1-2am, a gorgeous clear night but only saw a few shooting stars. Great night for it though.

I didn't realise it was on tonight too, i'll let the kids have a sleep then get them up for it in the early hours.

I did see what i thought to be a satellite go past high above.....then stop dead. Do they do that? It stayed still until a bit of cloud came over and i lost sight of it.

Thanks for the heads up on this, much appreciated. When i'm led there on my back looking up, i always ask myself why i don't do it more often.

CX.

[edit on 12/8/10 by CX]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join