It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gibbs - Some ‘crazy’ liberal critics of Obama ‘need to be drug tested’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Hey - don't get upset at me - Robert Gibbs said it - I'm just passing it along.

White House: Some ‘crazy’ liberal critics of Obama ‘need to be drug tested’

In an interview with Sam Youngman of The Hill published Tuesday morning, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs unleashed a series of forceful attacks on some unnamed progressive critics of President Barack Obama.

"I hear these people saying he’s like George Bush. Those people ought to be drug tested," Gibbs said. "I mean, it’s crazy."

The paper described the president's spokesman as "simmering with anger" and "in furious disbelief" over some of Obama's liberal detractors, from whom he has faced regular criticism for not pushing a progressive agenda more authoritatively.

“They will be satisfied when we have Canadian health care and we’ve eliminated the Pentagon," Gibbs retorted. "That’s not reality.

Not a good sign. Obama seems too far right for the far left and too far left for the far right.

The White House is pushing back - but do they risk a war of political words on all fronts in doing so?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
There are days it seems the entire nation might need to be drug tested. But just remember this...the fringes, left and right, are nowhere close to the majority, nor are they fair representatives of the nation as a whole.

They just get all the attention, by the media and by the pols. Maybe if we starve them of it, or even ridicule them with sarcasm like this, they'll take their rhetoric and punditry and take it to a more sane level.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well yes - that is a good point. One thing that seems to have happened is that more and more the fringe of both sides are starting to become the "spokespersons" of the party.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Forget drug testing, I say we need full psychological workups for both extremes haha!

The Obama Administration has not been timid in wars-of-words so far and I don't think that they will change that. I think it's a good move for them to take on the far-left, especially since the far-right has tried so hard to lump Obama in with them.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I would like to be more 'middle of the road' and drug test all three branches of government in their entirety. All at the same time, one Monday morning after a hard weekend of partying on our dollar.

Lawdy, Lawdy what we might see!

[edit on 10-8-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Critic = Terrorist these days

Freedom of speech is the new Santa Claus

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'll agree, he is to far right for the leftists, but he is too far left for the majority of Americans, not just the right wing.

How many White House staff, including advisers, would pass that drug test; Bobby?

Obama will go even further right after November elections and he has to work with... GASP... the republicans.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

So Gibbs is saying that "liberal critics", in other words, democrats need to be drug tested for their comments? I bet the conservatives are glad to read that one!!!

"I hear these people saying he’s like George Bush. Those people ought to be drug tested," Gibbs said. "I mean, it’s crazy."
Obama is "like" George Bush???? Obama is WORSE than George Bush! He extends the patriot act when he claimed he was going to get rid of it, he claims to want to be transparent, yet so far his own presidency has been more opaque than any presidency in the past.

[edit on 8/10/2010 by rangersdad]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I wonder if he suspects people of smoking some of the opium his troops are guarding in A-stan.
Oh wait, opium smokers don't say much. Chasing the Dragon is quiet work.
Must be those teleprompter haters...darn states righters,
They have been gettin' high on the drugs comin' cross the border in Az.

How is Obama doing with Larry Sinclair?
Larry accused Barry of the reverend Ted Haggard like crimes of smoking meth with male hookers.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Glenn Greenwald has written an astute comment on Gibbs outburst.

Robert Gibbs attacks the fringe losers of the left
www.salon.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Boy oh boy. This Gibbs fellow sure don't like liberals anymore. If he chases off all the liberals, who's he gong to answer questions for?

Oh, that's right. Fox News got themselves a front row seat in the White House press corp.

Better watch out, Mr. Gibbs. Without liberals around, Fox News might start asking you some tough questions.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Why are drugs getting all the blame, maybe a little smoke is what all sides of the Government need.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Wouldn't that put him somewhere in the middle?

Holy CRAP a Centrist POTUS!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

now we know who all smokes weed now dont we
yeah the other side does too but they are outnumbered

hell some even shout at the top of their lungs..... i didnt inhale...

agreed tho most lefts problems are hes not left enough

if in the midterms and if republicans win that could be in itself do more harm than good

simple fact there is too much partisanship going on now and he does continue to blame bush and republicans for everything.

that can have the effect that can solidfy his base and get him elected for another 4 years...........

maybe it will be best to let things foster for another 2 years and maybe all that accumulated animosity toward obama/dems right now push for a republican victory in 2012 like all the animosity and hatred for bush/republicans got mr obama elected

[edit on 10-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Frogs

You know, given the way things are going - I think that is what he is shooting for now - to be seen as a centrist.

I'd like to think positioning yourself in the middle would allow everyone to find something to like.

Instead it seems to have allowed everyone to find something to hate.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Frogs

You know, given the way things are going - I think that is what he is shooting for now - to be seen as a centrist.

I'd like to think positioning yourself in the middle would allow everyone to find something to like.

Instead it seems to have allowed everyone to find something to hate.

Painting Obama as a centrist makes the center cover all but the very outer fringe of the left.

Obama is stealing the an idea from Bill Clinton, in making himself appear to be a centrist.

top topics

join