It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students at Lincoln Memorial Told to Stop Singing National Anthem

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Well, as long as the site is content neutral.

WTH is THAT supposed to mean?

I mean really, does that mean that you cannot say anything? You have to walk through and not discuss anything.

How bout this, the writings on the Washington Memorial? Are you allowed to say the things written?

Here is a picture, I cannot seem to find a text of the inscriptions on it.

If you can find anywhere the text, that would be nice.

Anyway, if I wanted to sing the battle hymn of the Republic, the security guards can arrest me.

I still do not understand the supposed quiet we are supposed to observe. This is OUR country and not the government's.

Let me see, what does the Constitution say again?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Let us break that down shall we.

Congress shall make NO law abridging the freedom of speech.

SEEMS PRETTY DAMN STRAIGHT FORWARD TO ME.

Any law that abrogates or derogates this amendment, IS UNLAWFUL!

End of discussion!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I hate to break your "hate" for fox news, but hate sells. All news networks do this. This is why sometimes I wonder if MSM is the devil.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Well, regardless, they would still be able to sing it...25 steps away from the monument.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The Glass Mask

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
wait wait, you dont watch TV but you have an automatic response to anything brought up by FOX news......a conditioned response as it were??

I read the article, and commented on it. As I mentioned, I don't watch TV. The article is on their website, not TV. Please make a note of it.

If you dont mind me saying, how every UNMODERATOR like of you, and how very "anti" deny ignorance........

Actually, I do mind you saying so, since I'm commenting as a member, just like any member can. Trying to switch the topic to me being a mod is poor form and potentially disruptive, so please don't.

And how can we as a website trust your judgment as a moderator if this is how you go about things?

If you disagree with anything I do as a moderator, you are welcome to report it. However, attempting to hassle me with off-topic commentary for posting my personal opinions in this or any other thread is no more appropriate than hassling anyone else, and runs afoul of the T&C.

We don't moderate threads in which we participate, but like any other member, we can ALERT inappropriate posts for other mods to investigate and take action on.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter in this thread, since baiting is always off topic, and as a fellow member -- not as a mod -- I ask that you refrain from commentary of this kind in the future.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Wait a minute, are you even old enough to have that avatar?
Were you able to watch the originals, or just replays?

And yes, bringing a mod situation into the dicussion is bad form.

Even though I disagree with the mod on his stance in the thread, just because he or she has a mod label, do not place the mod in the box Mask.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

It was a simple question. I was not implying anything. I know we could not do it in their country. Another poster brought up the muslim angle. And we also all agree that 25 feet away, anyone could have sang what ever they wanted. I guess in a nut shell, I was pointing out how fair and just America is, even with all of our flaws and problems.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This is beyond ridiculous i didn't know the Lincoln Memorial was behind the iron curtain -.-, those of you old enough get the idea. Did we all forgot Dr. Martin Luther king Jr. ? His speech was given on the steps of the memorial. What kind of fascist scum made a law against our constitution for our countries capital? Whoever it was should be hung from the gallows on the Washington mall for high crimes, treason and abuse of office. After due process of course, even if they wouldn't oblige the same to us.

Seriously though our capital, above all other places, should be the last place our freedoms are infringed upon and the last place we should ever allow then an inch to do so.

Anyone supporting these fascist rules just because "oh they are rules we must obey", Should really take a look at what your life means and what you truly believe in because those rules don't represent me or my America. They represent a fascist, boot on your throat, regimes rules.

So they only have to move 25 steps away. first it will be 25 then it will be 100 then it will be till they take your very rights away all together. Never let anyone tell you you do not have the right's listed in the bill of rights no one can take them away, they can only oppress you or infringe upon them.

edit for grammar

[edit on 10-8-2010 by LurkingSleipner]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
SCREW THE RULE BOOK

this is the lincoln memorial we are talking about here, did anyone stop and think how Lincoln would have felt about this?

en.wikipedia.org... - A memorial is an object which serves as a focus for memory of something, usually a person (who has died) or an event. Popular forms of memorials include landmark objects or art objects such as sculptures, statues or fountains (and even entire parks).

3 pages into this thread and no one has thought of lincoln, i guess the memorial is a failure.

i think he would have allowed people to dance and puck there.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
awwww

another group of "POOR CONSERVATIVES" and a sob story.

Give me a freaking break. Nobody is allowed to sing there. Or didn't they read the freaking rules ahead of time?

"Keep Quiet in this Area"

So...if I loved the Marine Corp, would it be okay for me to sing Marines Hymn, on my own, in Silent Drill Team perfomances?

So, since they're conservative....they don't have the follow the rules, right?

By singing, and breaking the rules, these children, and the idiot parents with them, were being disrespectful and rude. Bottom Line.

You people sicken me. Grow up and stop making # up in order to have an argument.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
SCREW THE RULE BOOK

YEAH!!!!! SCREW THE RULE BOOK!

These people were CONSERVATIVES FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

They're above the law!

Wait, wait, what? One of them may have been liberal at heart? TAKE HIS ASS TO JAIL!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

I would venture to guess that Mr. Lincoln would want them to be quite in a "be quite" zone...

Thought about this little episode a bit last night whilst away from the computer...

...and the conclusion I came to was, it was indeed very rude for these kids to decide to belt out the national anthem in that spot. Since they look like a bunch of fairly intelligent kids (though I could be wrong), I venture to guess they knew exactly what they were doing, and where...

So... The cop did exactly the right thing.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo Arigato Mr Novato

Indeed they can. ...and for all of me? Let 'em...it's not going to hurt me any at all.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Patriotic songs are probably not taught to kids
anymore.Why?Because these songs are not
politically correct.
One day our children will be singing songs to
the NWO.That will be acceptible,not the national
anthem.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It didn't matter what they were singing. Why harp on the fact that it was a patriotic song? That does not make it OK. Should we allow a murder if the murderer is singing God Bless America? I am really hating on how people like to try and trick me with their titles. It is always the conservatives doing this. Damm con artists.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

The difference being "YOUR IN A DRILL TEAM" this means you have chosen to be in a silent drill team, if your speaking out of personal experience. If not anyone who signs up , I'm assuming this is a military drill team then you sign a contract which basically states uncle Sam tells you when to jump and how high.

But that doesn't mean you sign away your rights, you just need permission to do certain things. Now for American citizens we have a rule book that trumps all others. It's called the constitution, more specifically the first part of the amendments as the bill of rights.

It doesn't matter whether someone is conservative or not all humans are given those rights by god and they are held to be self evident. So we really don't need to be bringing part lines into this debate nor do we need to continue speaking them if they have already been brought up.

I'm more sickened by those with a disregard for our constitution, the prime rule book, and simply obeys anything someone tells them for fear of authority. You would rather follow some obtuse rule then to fight to have it changed, whether it be in the court of law, through protest, or through the legislature. All those routes and more have been used in the past by true patriotic people. Few of which we see anymore out of the citizenry.

P.s.- keep obeying sheep, those who follow rules for the sake of being a good little citizen who wants to live a comfy life without working for their freedoms or to protect them. You don't have to join the service to be a patriot but you do have to work for your freedoms or they will be taken away either through your apathy and disregard, or through force. go back to history class and learn a thing or two rather then being talked to do some good research.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by LurkingSleipner]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loutty
reply to post by Majic

Actually I watched Fox news cover this story last night, and this wasn't conservative propaganda. Fox's side was, and I agree, that the kids were clearly breaking a rule of that establishment to not sing.

I've noticed that FOX has taken a "personal responsibility" stance on quite a few issues lately - and have been suitably impressed, which is rare for me and FOX.

The other day they were running a story about some parents that were suing a school district for suspending kids that went and got drunk while being chapperroned on a school sponsored trip to China - the kids escaped their chaperrones for an evening and went drinking. FOX news' position was basically "teach your kids some personal responsibility and that their actions will have consequences - don't blame the chapperrones which the kids purposfully avoided".

When I was a teenager (16) we had a school trip to Spain. Our chapperone took us to the bar and even bought the first round. I guess times have changed. lol.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by Domo Arigato Mr Novato

Indeed they can. ...and for all of me? Let 'em...it's not going to hurt me any at all.

So we're teaching kids that just because they are at a memorial to a President that gave more people freedom than any other President in history, it's okay for them to flaunt the rules, despite the fact that they were offered an alternate option?

Instead of taking the very simple alternate option, they go running to the national media, and you're okay that these are the values being instailled in the youth of today?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
all these stupid strawmen arguements, 'well what if they were singing this diferent song in this different place,'...etc

why is it everyone who trys to say they shoulda followed some rules has to compare this act to something else,

because they are trying to explain to us how futile they see this issue.
they are telling us of fictitous yet supposedly comparable sittuations to help us understand their opinion, id say one specificly but aparantly many of you in this thread have pretty much done this same thing.

stop trying to make comparisions and look at it for what it is,

i shouldnt have to say what it is but id like to.

some students were looking up at a statue of abraham lincoln inside his memorial, surely they were honoring him and the freedom he fought for,
they decided to sing the anthum, no one should argue whether this was well intended or not, yet some in this thread are.

then a security cop told them not to sing.

he didnt say step 25 feet over then sing NO he said DONT SING, the students feeling dejected and denied were of course hurt and confused,

the only arguement against that is if the kids knew of the rule before the act, such speculation is biased without some reasoning or indicator to think that.

and again how where the students supposed to know they were allowed to sing just across the boundary, the security cop didnt tell them.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
SCREW THE RULE BOOK

YEAH!!!!! SCREW THE RULE BOOK!

These people were CONSERVATIVES FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

They're above the law!

Wait, wait, what? One of them may have been liberal at heart? TAKE HIS ASS TO JAIL!

"Oh, judge, your damn laws: the good people don't need them and the bad people don't follow them, so what good are they?" -Ammon Hennacy

Snarf you should calm down, your not doing yourself anygood replying like that,

i have to try to figure out what you meant through the anger,

i think perhaps it was law is important or something is that it?

or is it that they were conservative and this would have been worse for a liberal? or something like that?

i dont know where your getting the idea of discrimination between the parties in this sittuation from, care to define? without having an anuerism.

Originally posted by babybunnies

So we're teaching kids that just because they are at a memorial to a President that gave more people freedom than any other President in history, it's okay for them to flaunt the rules, despite the fact that they were offered an alternate option?

Instead of taking the very simple alternate option, they go running to the national media, and you're okay that these are the values being instailled in the youth of today?

were they offered an alterative option? what were they offered? i didnt see this in the video that was linked.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It's a MEMORIAL, not a concert hall.

You are supposed to be respectful and quiet at these memorials. Anyone who has ever been there should know the atmosphere, and how serious it is there. It's not just another statue in a park, it's a highly guarded place.

Also, there are writtings on the walls that people like to read, and when a bunch of kids are singing off key, it's hard to concentrate, and disruptive.

Anyone crying foul here probably cries when a librarian tells them to shut up in the library.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join