It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

japan look into First space elevator

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

First space elevator

www.thenews.com.pk

TOKYO: Engineering students aimed for the stars on the outskirts of Tokyo on Sunday (August 8) as they competed to create what many hope may eventually lead to the world's first space elevator.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-8-2010 by omega.13]

[edit on 10-8-2010 by omega.13]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
When one tries to go to space, it's inherently very dangerous, and it's a world where only a select few are allowed to go after completing training. A space elevator on the other hand would allow anyone to go in complete safety. The goal to be able to go to space and have a 100% chance of returning safely," said Japan Space Elevator Association vice-chairman Yoshio Aoki

www.thenews.com.pk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
news.cnet.com...

also this link

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
As interesting as I find the concept of a "Space Elevator" to be and eagerly look forward to the day that it becomes a practical reality, I'm somewhat confused after reading the linked articles that I find no mention whatsoever of Japan designing the 1st space elevator ... could you please point me to that section please ? Thanks ....

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hi there, just thought I'd post this link -

en.wikipedia.org...

It explains in great depth the ideas for a space elevator, and why - for the time being at least - they will remain as ideas.

I have to agree with the above post though, the article doesn't mention china trying to be the first to build one.

Anyways, thanks for the thread
I'll be watching this one.

Kyle

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
i hope this eventually gives us the results we want, a cheap and greatly more reliable means for a way to space. with this, space vehicle construction and even large habitable platforms are more possible.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kai22

I have to agree with the above post though, the article doesn't mention china trying to be the first to build one.

Kyle

Um... no one said anything about China building a space elevator... the post is about Japan looking into it. Quite a different prospect I'd say. I'd rate Japan with a chance of doing it... I'd rate China as having zero chance.
But just to also agree... true ... the article doesn't mention either country as trying to build a space elevator.
Stay safe...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
i think china does have a chance to build the elevator.
instead of seperate space agencies with seperate funding there needs to be a united international effort to achieve our space goals, the space race is over and its about time for the space cooperation, especially since resources are starting to run low and the economy struggles.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by listerofsmeg]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Had to!

I always thought a space tether would be a good way of getting rid of our nuclear waste. Get it up to a platform and fire it towards the sun. Then you don't have the worry of a launch platform nuclear disaster from sending it off the ground.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
the Japanese watch way to much scifi .
this idea is right up there with building a dysonspher .
even if it is possible it is not practical . And this idea isnt even possable.
a umm call it rope over 100 miles long would weigh thousands of tons and that weight alone would pull any sat right out or orbit .
Of corse everyone just igges this we do love to dream

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
it wouldn't just be a rope or cable with a top platform,
there would have to be a massive support structure.
this is impossible for any country to build but not if it is a collective effort.
when built, space will become much cheaper.
where could this be built though, whatever country the elevator is would have to be turned into international ground with worldwide security efforts and the most advanced security systems.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
really? this would be an incredible undertaking. the amount of money poured into this idea would seem to be a little staggering don't you think? as a collective...maybe possible, but like what was already said, the structure would have to be massive. Stability would be an issue. containment and sustainability would be big "what if's". I would hope that there is much better things to spend this worlds time, thought and monetary denominations on.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragon33

Ah, yeah my bad
God knows where I got China from. I seem to be making a few mistakes today, not just on here either haha.

But no, there wasn't any mention of Japan trying for it either.

And to be fair, I think it is entirely possible. If you disagree, then check the link in my last post. The page on wikipedia details different conceptual ideas, and the theories behind them.

They did last time I checked.... I think... after the day I'm having I can't be too sure...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
There are a number of problems in creating a space elevator and although it is scientifically possible, we do not have the technology to implement it, namely the high tensile strength, light weight polymer strands that would be needed for the material to create the tether.

After that tech is created though, it's a matter of getting a satellite into geo-synchronous orbit at the equator of the planet and then lowering the tether until it can be connected to the earth. Obviously not easy, but certainly possible, just not yet (or probably for many years to come).

I believe that's the basic principles behind them anyway.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
i wonder if a carbon nano tube would work in thi situation? Take them and weave them into ropes or cables of some sort. Just something to chew on, enjoy!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I dont know if it would be possible;
For an object to stay in orbit around the Earth, the velocity of the object has to travel at a speed where gravity doesnt pull it down,

The object has to travel fast enough to where it falls around the earth;
Think of a satellite traveling really fast in an octagon shape around the earth,
it goes in a straight line before gravity pulls it down, by the time gravity pulls it down it is already over the horizon of earths curvature,
only to be pulled down by gravity again, and this happens over and over in a circular shape,

If this tether that is holding the elevator in place is anchored to the earth,
Then how is the entire length of the tether going to achieve orbital velocity?
Unless maybe it was pointed horizontally off into the horizon and then off into space,
Like maybe if 50% of the the structure is underground, like a bullet train tunnel and then elongates off into the horizon and into outerspace horizontally...

But I imagine the base of the structure would be traveling at a faster velocity than the top of the structure,
So when the Earth spins, it MIGHT fall over,
Like when you pull a rug out from under someone's feet

I guess the main question here is can the structure achieve orbital velocity even when tethered to earth?

If you look at satellites and the space station and the space shuttle they travel thousands of times faster than earths rotation, just to stay in orbit

They could also install Rocket engines to the top of the structure to keep it traveling at the proper speed;
That is even if my theory is correct; I could be wrong...

Who knows;
Maybe it could just be like a simple giant skyscraper...
It would probably be like the size of Mount Everest or something...
A huge metallic Mount Everest in the middle of the desert....
This gigantic structure could even double as a global antenna for super high-speed wireless internet

[edit on 10-8-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SupremeKnowledge

it'll be more than just a tether.
the elevator will have to be solid

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
And it is worth all the riches, and all the risk.

This would truly revolutionize not just travel to space, but our society as a whole.

But I agree, it is a daunting tasks. The engineering for such a feat is hard to comprehend. And the cooperation between the governments needed is, sadly, unimaginable today.

But just imagine the possibilities this would open up, making Human Inner Solar travel possible for governments. And low earth orbit affordable for everyone, probably at a 400% markup for the inevitable corporation setup to administer the Elevator, of course.

I believe it will be done one day, but I don't think I will last the 50 years it would take to even begin serious talk of such a project.

But we can dream.....

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
And it is worth all the riches, and all the risk.

But I agree, it is a daunting tasks. The engineering for such a feat is hard to comprehend. And the cooperation between the governments needed is, sadly, unimaginable today.

not all will be needed though.
all nations capable of space flight should be involved along with contributions of all g20 members.
it will be best to set this in a more neutral country.
armouring the thing will be an issue as it will be frequently hit by objects in our system.
re-entry may also be an issue.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Illustration for a Space Elevator concept taken from the geo-stationary transfer station looking down the length of the elevator structure towards Earth. Electromagnetic vehicles travel the length of the elevator to transfer passengers and cargo between Earth and space. Large reels with high strength cables work back and forth to provide adjustments to the position of the geo station and an asteroid counter weight above (not shown) to maintain the center of mass for the entire structure at a geo-stationary point above the Earth

top topics

<<   2 >>

join