It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry flight attendant uses emergency inflatable slide for dramatic exit

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Figurative star & flag for this man as a human being. ANYONE who's had to work in Customer Service should be well acquainted with that feeling of "I need to walk away before I hurt this individual physically".

I happen to deal with this on a day-to-day basis...right now, in fact. Granted, most of mine is over the phone, but it can get to this point.

I often leave the office at the end of the day ready to weep, not out of frustration, out of sheer sadness and defeat that the people in my little town are so freakin ignorant that they ask the questions that they do...or think the things they think (and then voice said thoughts). It can be truly mind-numbing.

Then there are one's co-workers: whole new level of ignorance & frustration here. Case in point: I have a coworker (part-time) who happens to be the best friend of my Office Manager (this Office Manager is the wife of the Owner) and gets paid to pretty much sit there and be the Best Friend of the Wife of the Owner.
Being as there are only the three of us in the office, when there are injustices from the previous night's Bachelor or Idol, I will inevitably be the only one who can hear the phone ringing. I learned this job in less than three days (was praised for this) and have now been doing it for over a year without so much as a whisper of a pay-raise. With my entire chain of command being either Blood, Married, or Bestest Friends....I feel our Ex-Flight Attendant's pain.

*sigh*

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Star, Miss 'D'! ( ...didn't know you were once a sky goddess!!
)

LOL! Say what you want...(and yes, he didn't 'think' before acting, and he will suffer the repercussions)...still, it is now yet another airline legend to tell! And, laugh over, since it wasn't any of us!!

'Blowing' a slide, though...IS a big deal, when done intentionally, and without cause (safety). (Hopefully he 'assessed the conditions' outside the door, first!)

People outside, if they were in the way, could get hurt...and if nothing else, the authorities can nail him for being 'airside' with an AOA badge...company ID is insufficient (except for pilots) nowadays for ramp access, especially in New York area!

~~~~~

(Some day I should tell you the [true] "bad potato" story....senior F/A, and she got away with it...got away with a LOT of things, smart aleck she was...!)

[edit on 10 August 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Some day I should tell you the [true] "bad potato" story....senior F/A, and she got away with it...got away with a LOT of things, smart aleck she was...!

If you're referring to Judy Blair, I think I'll die.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

OT...but YES!!!

???? She's more legendary than I knew, huh?

I think she was able to keep her job for so long because she had the "dirt" on so many people in management....smart cookie! And a hot ---(freudian slip...meant to type 'hoot', but there ya go!...) on layovers!

( No...NOT like that! She could drink most men under the table, though....and, NO! Not like that. Not me, anyway...
)

[edit on 10 August 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I can't understand defending this guy.

Don't get me wrong, I like a cold beer just as much as the next guy, but this FA's a moron. He got pissed and thew a little fit. He's got the emotional intelligence of a 9 year old, and now he's gonna do time for his juvenile tantrum.

This isn't a case of the stressful conditions of customer service work, this is a case of some man/boy non-hacker being a whiney little bitch and causing a scene so everyone would know just how put out he was for someone not submitting to is tiny little will. Like anyone cares...

I seriously doubt they do psych evals for FAs, and I'm pretty sure you're going to get laughed out of town every time you ask for confidential employee records, should they even exist.

I would like to drink some beers and go down an inflatable slide a couple of times, though.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Holy Heck! The woman was a true legend! LMAO!

That is hysterical we would both know of her.

From what I understand, what happened was is back in the 70's, a plane had difficulty on landing and had a mini crash. She pulled the pilots out of the cockpit and saved them. After that, she was allowed to get away with murder.

We were all terrified of her.
I would feel faint if I looked at the crew sheet for my next assignment and saw her name on there. Us newbie attendants even had a running joke. If any of the senior attendants would act demeaning towards us, we'd mouth off, 'Leave me alone! I'm Judy Blair's love child.'

Seriously, though. The woman was like Cruella De Ville but she WAS a hoot to work with once you understood her and she understood you.

One of the things that always made me laugh is that she would constantly pick up the C position on the MD-80. Then she'd gripe about how horrible it was. I was like, 'Judy. You can have the pick of ANY assignment. Why on earth do you keep picking up this?'

So she was terrifying but part of the urban legends for sure. One of those memories you will never forget!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by starsyren
ANYONE who's had to work in Customer Service should be well acquainted with that feeling of "I need to walk away before I hurt this individual physically".

I've worked customer service. A lot. Fast food, fine dining, room service, front desk, phone work... I don't recall ever the thought of actually causing anyone physical harm entering my head.

Those who hate their jobs will defend those who hate their jobs. If you hate your job, don't be a child. Grow up and learn how to do something you do like, eliminating the need to blame the problems of your job and your life on the customers who make the job possible in the first place.

If you're antisocial to this extent, you need to go ahead and find something where you can be alone in a small room all day making money doing whatever. I suspect most people like this indulge in such self-loathing that these same thoughts may eventually be turned onto themselves.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

Originally posted by starsyren
ANYONE who's had to work in Customer Service should be well acquainted with that feeling of "I need to walk away before I hurt this individual physically".

I've worked customer service. A lot. Fast food, fine dining, room service, front desk, phone work... I don't recall ever the thought of actually causing anyone physical harm entering my head.

Those who hate their jobs will defend those who hate their jobs. If you hate your job, don't be a child. Grow up and learn how to do something you do like, eliminating the need to blame the problems of your job and your life on the customers who make the job possible in the first place.

If you're antisocial to this extent, you need to go ahead and find something where you can be alone in a small room all day making money doing whatever. I suspect most people like this indulge in such self-loathing that these same thoughts may eventually be turned onto themselves.

I've also worked in customer service for a long time and I think you are just arguing for the sake of arguing on this one buddy. If you have ever really worked in customer service, on the bottom rung of the ladder, then you are lying if you say you have never had to get up and walk away from a situation where a customer was being rude. Maybe you don't actually think about smacking them or something, but every single person I know in customer service has had to at least get away so they didn't say something rude in response. And for the record, I don't hate my job. I love customer service, but once in a while you get the customer who has had a bad day and wants to take their frusturation out on you, or a customer who cannot be made happy. Maybe your higher on the ladder and thus have forgotten what its like to be in the trenches?

Once I had a lady shove her stuff forward on the counter as I was reaching to ring it up, and she scratched me! Not a light scratch, but actually tearing skin and making me bleed. As I gripped my hand in shock and inspected the scratch, she shoved her stuff closer and asked me to hurry. I wish I could have had a beer and parachuted away!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

Unfortunately, the area of the country I live in not only suffered greatly during the recession but also (regardless of what anyone says publically) doesn't hold us little women in the same regard as men, in terms of employment. What all of this means for lil ol' me is that I basically have to take what I can get. I spent a year without work in 2008, this job was the only one to call back.

For those of you fortunate enough to be so enlightened as to find rewarding and gainful employment, I do applaud you....but it is by no means a simple thing that anyone can do. If it were, there wouldn't be some of us ready to bail out of airplanes before it had a chance to taxi.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind

I've also worked in customer service for a long time and I think you are just arguing for the sake of arguing on this one buddy. If you have ever really worked in customer service, on the bottom rung of the ladder, then you are lying if you say you have never had to get up and walk away from a situation where a customer was being rude.

No, I just have never been that frustrated by someone. Maybe I'm just someone who is naturally good at service type jobs. Maybe I know how to not piss people off. I understand that some people just want to be angry and bitter, but I've always considered it a challenge to make them smile. I've been a food server, and ended up managing restaurants eventually, and now I'm a poker dealer in Vegas.

Let me tell you. Dealing the big games where there's anywhere from $50K to $250K on the table at any given time, and the slightest mistake, miscalculation, miscount, flipped card, whatever.... these people are the most childish, selfish, egotistical people you will ever find in any customer service situation on earth. Some of them are filthy rich, which leads to high deuchebaggery, but most are actually counting on winning at poker to make a living, and when things don't go their way, who do you think they go off on?

I don't mind. Sure it's my fault. I'm the ones putting the cards out there. Sure I put that third heart on the river on purpose... just to watch you throw a tantrum. Throw the cards at me, it's OK. They're not heavy. What's more, is they're not bullets coming at my head, and since I left the service, that's how I relate to everything. My skin's not on fire and there aren't bullets coming at me. Made me a better person maybe. Maybe not.

Probably not.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
why did this guy get arrested? So in this greate police state of ours, its a criminal offence to say "f this job, you suck, you suck, your cool, you suck, f you im out." So if any of us blow up at work and tell customer and coworkers off, were going to jail.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03
why did this guy get arrested? So in this greate police state of ours, its a criminal offence to say "f this job, you suck, you suck, your cool, you suck, f you im out." So if any of us blow up at work and tell customer and coworkers off, were going to jail.

Its one thing to be abusive, its a completely different thing if you inflate a device that is STRICTLY used in cases of an emergency. Its identical to pulling the break switch on an train were the train will come to a halt. If you do that and its not an "emergency" then your simply going to pay the cost of your actions and obviously sent on your way to a 3x3 cell block.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Its one thing to be abusive, its a completely different thing if you inflate a device that is STRICTLY used in cases of an emergency. Its identical to pulling the break switch on an train were the train will come to a halt. If you do that and its not an "emergency" then your simply going to pay the cost of your actions and obviously sent on your way to a 3x3 cell block.

So did someone get hurt? No. Could someone have gotten hurt? Probably. So what. people could get hurt getting out of bed. So the time my wife and I had an argument in the car while I war driving, I got pissed pulled the e-break got out and walked down the road. I should be arrested?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
He stole a beer. I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

I forgot about that. However stealing a beer is not going to get you locked up, unless you have a history of stealing things.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03

So did someone get hurt? No. Could someone have gotten hurt? Probably. So what. people could get hurt getting out of bed. So the time my wife and I had an argument in the car while I war driving, I got pissed pulled the e-break got out and walked down the road. I should be arrested?

Not sure if you have traveled across Europe by train for example, but if you pull the break, trust me, apart from the euros your going to be paying for all delay's and emergency units mobilized then you will certainly be in front of a judge. Again, you cannot compare your personal belongings to that which directly affect that of the public interests and what hysteria it may cause.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by tristar]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaChaos

THANK YOU!!!
That is way, way up there as one of the best, and funniest one-liners I've seen in a wile!!

Sorry, it had to be mentioned --- I really mean it, it's going in the vault!!

Deadpan delivery too!! Brilliant.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Not a good example for the people against "Don't ask, Don't tell."

Openly gay people have a hard time controlling their emotions, and are prone to these type of outbursts.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

....and....BOOM! goes the dynamite....in record time!!!

Didn't take long for a completely off-base, vile broad-brush attack on entire 'perceived' (and totally in the writer's mind) stereotype.

[sarcasm] What a surprise. [/sarcasm]

Let's replace the phrase "openly Gay" with any other phrase of your choosing, shall we?

Select an attribute that can be used to describe you, or someone close to you....OK...ready, go!!!

(Feel free to use your imaginations.....)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I understand it may be a tough job, but what would he have done if a passenger angered him while in the air? Strap on a parachute, grab a beer, and jump? This guy is clearly unstable and should not be in this job.

That said, I am puzzled by being charged with criminal trespass

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join