It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Joys of Candlelight and No Electricity.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I love power cuts.

I have always been well prepared for them, so they are not an issue here, but the kids and i always enjoy them.

I am most productive during a power cut, this reminds me to limit the amount of time i spend on the computer and in front of the tv.

The quiet is the best thing, and for some reason i do not get so tired so quickly when i have the electrics off.

CX.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Hey, Nice thread.

A while ago, our power also went out and we were having a get together with some friends. Luckily, we always stock up on about a truck load of wood- so we made a fire (in the house) and one of our friends was just jamming on his guitar. It was awesome...really nice to just be with people.

With all our electricity hikes where I live- I'm seriously considering getting a gas stove. Also, those beautiful storm lanterns (those ones that look like a bird-cage) to house some large candles... that way, you can have as many as you want and it's safer than a freestanding candle. Plus they look great.

Also thinking of getting a solar powered geyser.
That way, we are pretty independent from conventional electricity, plus- it's way cheaper!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Back in 93 we had an ice storm knock out our power for 12 days. At the time my family lived way up in the blue ridge mountains at the end of the power lines. My wife had the flu and we'd run out of firewood to boot. Fortunately we had a woodstove that we could heat with and cook on.
Well, the ice was so thick that you could stand on it, but we lived on the top of a hill and the nearest woods were 50 yards DOWN the hill

I also had no chainsaw at the time!
it was our fist winter up in the mountains). Fortunately, the ice knocked down many branches that I could saw up and use for firewood. So me and my two young sons hacked a path through the ice down the hill to get our wood.
Meantime my sick wife was in bad shape and we had also run out of medicine. Knowing wild medicinal plants was a lifesaver and I also had to remember where to find these plants underneath the ice (it pays to pay attention). I gathered Gaultheria procumbens, Achillea millefolium, rose hips and a few other herbs after hacking through the ice to get them.
Turned out the wild medicinal plants worked better than the store-bought drugs and my wife was better in just 1 day.
Our freezer was loaded with venison, turkey and squirrells as I enjoyed hunting at the time but it was all starting to thaw. We took all the meat out and cooked it over the woodstove. I then dug a pit in the snow, put all the meat in it and covered it over.
I woke the next morning to find a black bear had dug up all meat and left bits strewn all over the yard. There must have been 30 crows having a feast along with a plethora of smaller birds grabbing little scraps.
We played cards and monopoly by the light of candles and oil lamps. We sang songs and played guitar and piano, we read each other books and played charades. We skidded down our hill on big pieces of cardboard and generally had a grand time of it.
We were glad when the electricity came back on but mostly because we were tired of cutting, hauling and splitting wood constantly.
We were almost sad to have the electricity back, we grew closer as a family because we lost it for a while.
This was a taste of how life was for everyone not so very long ago. A great reminder of just how fortunate we are to have all the things we do today.
Thanks for the opportunity to share this story, I hadn't thought about it for quite a while.

I almost forgot to mention how beautiful the night sky was with no artificial lights anywhere, and the deep silence was so profound - all you could hear were birds, the wind, and branches creaking. Fantastic!

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Asktheanimals]

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
my mother has candels all around the house but she'd go crazy if you lit them as their there to look pretty? also allot of random twigs for some reason so if we had a power cut we'd be walking around in the dark but the place would look nice
women confuse the crap out of me

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies. It reminds me of 2 friends of mine who live in a cabin together with no electricity. I went out there a couple of times and one time in particular really stands out to me.

We all sipped on hot tea as we sat around a bonfire and talked stories. We were all so at ease, and we all felt so close, since sitting around a fire is seriously what our ancestors did for hundreds upon thousands of years. I can't describe the feeling, but it feels so natural and right....

Great times.

-Sol

[edit on 10-8-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Back to the candle thing...

I definitely do notice some candles are super nice, and yeah, my mom doesn't use the nice ones.... what's the point?

Candles are such a cool idea though. For some reason I have an image of a man wearing a sleeping hat thing, dozily walking around with a candle in his hand when I think of old cartoons.

yeah.

-Sol

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
We live fairly near a transformer that goes out quite often. It is about 1.5 miles away.

At night when we see the blue pop of light from the north, it is like "ahhhh" time. Just really relaxing ... sort of a relief. I feel physically better.
When it comes back on I feel a bit more on edge (very subtle).

The area power going off happens so often we do look forward to it... that same state of "ahh" , we cannot replicate by turning items off on in the house or even flipping the circuit breaker off.

There is just so much around us that is electrified.

Now, I do not know where I read this, but I did read somewhere of a type III of diabetes caused by electronics. Sounded odd.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by catlantis]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I definitely believe that all that manmade electrical energy flying around us couldn't be too good. Sometimes if I watch TV for too long or am on the computer for too long, I start to get irritable and fatigued, and I really believe it has something to do with being subject to all that manmade electricity that is generated from tvs and computers.

Very interesting how others seem to feel better as well when the electricity goes out.

-Sol

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
Back to the candle thing...

I definitely do notice some candles are super nice, and yeah, my mom doesn't use the nice ones.... what's the point?

Candles are such a cool idea though. For some reason I have an image of a man wearing a sleeping hat thing, dozily walking around with a candle in his hand when I think of old cartoons.

yeah.

-Sol

LOL don't ask for an explanation they are simply there to look pretty and candles get pretty pricey so we don't want to pay to replace it (I do the same thing). I used to burn them, back when I thought all candles were for burning lol, but then when company comes you simply can't have an ugly partially burnt up candle on the center of the table, in the entryway, etc. what will the guests think
lol.

I am in recovery though, some of the larger mid priced ones I have duplicates of, the ugly burnt ones sit in the closet for when I feel like burning one, and the pretty still sealed one stays just that way, pristine.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by searching4truth]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

hehehe... even though I share your enthousiasm for silence and a fire to light your lvivingspace, I dont know if this is worthy of ATS material..

I see the relevance to ATS quite quickly, as soon as I read the opener! We are speaking about a society hooked on power, and every day spent with such a luxury is a day spent not honing the skills needed to survive without it. Then again, why bother with practicing survival skills unless you need to, since it's such a misery to adapt to that lifestyle?

I've been camping for a month and a half this year (& seven months last year hehe), and I think the key is preparation and making the experience an enjoyable one. My tent is a mosquito-netted anti-insect dome with the fly off, and waking up with the morning sun reflecting through a vast forest is always a worthwhile experience. A hundred tealights keep the nights usefully extended past dark, and with a folding chair in the tent, the forest and it's creatures make a perfect muse. Two storm tarps keep off the worst of the rain, and I find, after last years time investment, I can walk for hours in the rain and it won't bother me at all. There's no stove this time around, all my food is uncooked, or occasionally canned. The spot is remote enough to ensure that only good friends visit who know where I'm at.

Showering, shaving, etc takes place at the gym, in the lake, or friends places in town. Rent and utility bills are zero; I can devote the money I earn to debts and direct benefits in this life I've chosen to lead! Instead of dwelling on games, tv, and a thousand other worries, my surroundings enstill the madnesses of culture to a distant drone, and leave me free to concentrate on what is most productive for the day. Instead, my mind is inspired to plan gardens, build shelters, consider wildlife, pollution, and health issues. What society has become is highlighted against this most sensible backdrop, and what was hard to see and decipher while embroiled in its midst is now more properly seen as the misguided alternate lifestyle which many on ATS take good pains to describe.

I believe the candles flickering flame teaches us the universal secrets of Compensation. To that point, I can't think of anyone who has described this phenomenon better than Emerson.

The wings of Time are black and white,
Pied with morning and with night.
Mountain tall and ocean deep
Trembling balance duly keep.
In changing moon, in tidal wave,
Glows the feud of Want and Have.
Gauge of more and less through space
Electric star and pencil plays.
The lonely Earth amid the balls
That hurry through the eternal halls,
A makeweight flying to the void,
Supplemental asteroid,
Or compensatory spark,
Shoots across the neutral Dark.

Man's the elm, and Wealth the vine;
Stanch and strong the tendrils twine:
Though the frail ringlets thee deceive,
None from its stock that vine can reave.
Fear not, then, thou child infirm,
There's no god dare wrong a worm.
Laurel crowns cleave to deserts,
And power to him who power exerts;
Hast not thy share? On winged feet,
Lo! it rushes thee to meet;
And all that Nature made thy own,
Floating in air or pent in stone,
Will rive the hills and swim the sea,
And, like thy shadow, follow thee.

Essay: Compensation, Ralph Waldo Emerson
www.rwe.org...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Great post. The poem was a little long winded. but still cool.

Good to hear you live a lot of your time out in nature. I too feel most in my element with just nature and I. I love to go explore the natural world. So much better than any video game or TV program.

Thanks for sharing NorthWarden.

-Sol

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

The poem was Emerson's, not mine ... I hope that was clear. (Anyone checking out the essay will realize that much, so no big).

Thank you for your words and inspiration too; this topic touched close to home for me.

The only game better than a forest paradise is Oblivion, Elder Scrolls IV lol

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
ON THE FLIP SIDE..

I currently live in a place where black outs and brown outs are quite common.
I will tell you this much IT SUCKS!

In American it was ok and cozy I guess you could say; however reality bites.
When the electricity goes out here, it is still 90 degrees even at night, and the only thing keeping blood sucking disease carrying mosquito's off you is the fan blowing in your face 24 hours day.

No electricity here means a long crappy night spent sweating your sack off while being literally eaten alive. So yeah, no thanks ill take electricity.
Ill tell you this much. I have been privileged as an American to enjoy a lot of great things, but nothing compares to the silence suddenly being broken by my fan kicking back on and cool air hitting my body.

PS: It is something OFF repellent can't fix. The little bastards will bite through your clothes even, you have to cover your whole head and body in a sheet and smother the whole night. Easy enough for the locals, sucks if your from a cooler environment like the states. I have literally counted over 100 bites in years past.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Ouch, can you find mosquito-netting anyplace? I can't imagine sleeping at all if there's more than say two in the tent!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

HEHE, With A net GOD help you if you have to get up and tinkle in the middle of the night. What starts off with 6 vampires inside will quickly turn into 30 vampires and a large spindly legged spider with an ego complex.

Did I mention I hate spiders larger than my hand? Well........I do.

Besides I'm allays afraid I'm going to lock them in with me, turning one hellish night into MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDER DOME.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Was in an auto accident about three years ago that banged me up pretty good but not quite enough to be hospitalized. The following day the power went out for 2.5 days. Long story short, it was very peaceful. Had plenty of food and it was in Jan. so things stayed plenty cool. Got into warm clothes, had some good candles and a walkman with enough batteries. Couldn't move very much anyway so just sat around listening to tunes and thinking, it was nice.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Jeez that sounds miserable!!!

I am definitely not completely denouncing electricity; I just don't like the idea of a house being charged up with the manmade electrical energy of an HD TV, lights, computers... etc

I think just the basics would be good. But in this day and age, many things emit all kinds of stuff.

-Sol

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I agree.
I think electricity for all its benefits deprives us the wonders of a good day in nature.
Electricity is great but it makes people too comfortable with their modern day caves and huts. A wonderful tool to have but I believe that people have made it so commonplace that the tool has become a toy.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85

Nobody can deny the near euphoric effects one receives from engufing themselves completely into "nature". It does something with the human psyche.

Living next to a traintrack can be very uncomfortable, but when one lives next to a creek wich makes noise ALL day long it will be experienced as pleasant. Its like we are programmed to enjoy nature.

So does anyone have any idea as to what exactly it is that is supressed by our daily use of electronics? When I'm home I feel like my evening will go to sh*t if I dont have my laptop or TV but when I'm out in the woods, its surprising every time again, how much one can enjoy simply being outside around a campfire...

Good points I completely agree with you. I just went through cadet basic training and I can attest to the fact that being in the woods is rejuvenating... when we are sleeping in the barracks we sleep about 6.5 hours and we are dead tired when we wake up, but when we are out in the field we sleep out in bedrolls for 4-5 hours and when I wake up I feel completely rejuvenated.

As for what it is that is surpressed by electronics, you're right it is mysterious, I feel like when I'm on the computer or watching TV time just flies by and when I try to get up a sense of tiredness holds me down. So maybe its our sense of reality that is being surpressed, that would be my best guess, but good question. Very good question.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Have you tried Citronella candles? They would help with both the lack of light and the mosquitoes

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join