It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's short affair with the West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Russia's short affair with the West

www.china.org.cn

Russia recently changed its stance on Iran's nuclear policies. As an ally of Iran with many strategic and economic interests in the country, Russia's pro-Western stance is unlikely to last.

Historically, Russia has opposed sanctions against Iran but it slowly began to shift its position following Iran's rejection of a U.N.-brokered uranium enrichment plan late last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.china.org.cn
www.china.org.cn
www.china.org.cn

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Russia has always had a contradictory attitude toward Iran's nuclear program. As one of Iran's important partners, Russia has not only supported Iran's peaceful use of nuclear energy, but also cooperated closely with Iran to develop nuclear energy to make a big profit. But Moscow never expected Iran to master nuclear technology or create nuclear weapons, which Russian leaders now fear could happen.

Iran not only represents an important regional ally for Russia but also a useful bargaining tool in diplomatic relations with the West, especially the U.S. For now, Russia has decided its relations with the U.S. are more important than its relations with Iran. So, its support for sanctions is a sign that Russia is trying to strengthen cooperation with the West.

Russia is a strong business partner with Iran:

Russia has done business in Iran for many years. It has many interests in arms, trade and nuclear development markets in Iran.

More importantly, as Russia is increasing its power, it has sped up pace to return to the Middle East. Iran, the only Middle Eastern country connecting the two big oil deposits of the Caspian Sea and Persian Gulf, is an important stronghold and geopolitical partner for Russia to increase its clout in the Middle East and Persian Gulf.

Russia has seen few positive results by favoring the west:

Russia's pandering to Western countries has brought more negative rather than positive results. Russia is going to lose Iran's trust if it leans too much toward the U.S. Iran ordered all Russian pilots to leave within two months in April. In May, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad criticized Russia over its support for the UN sanctions. And in July, after Medvedev's critical remarks, Ahmadinejad retaliated by saying that Russia had become the spokesman of the West and listed it as an enemy of Iran.

Obama isn't a great statesman for US policy:

Russia's cooperation with the U.S. on Iran's nuclear program has not improved relations, either. The U.S. continues to deploy its missile defense system in Poland. And just after Medvedev held a hearty meeting with Obama, the U.S. announced its arrest of 11 Russian spies.

But Russia will probably continue its support of Iran:

Russia cannot afford to lose Iran. Therefore, in the near future Russia is very likely to soften its tone towards Iran.

www.china.org.cn
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/8/10 by plumranch]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
this is how world war 1 started a buch of countries having ties with one another that it becomes impossible to attack without created the platform for a bigger war, iran supports syria and lebanon which i can imagine that if israel attacks iran will support said countries then then iran gets sucked in then russia, china to assert its power on the world will also join in and now we have the begining of ww3 just that easy and it could be yours for the easy 3 payments of $19.95 sorry i couldn't resist

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Same with Korea and Pakistan - India and Taiwan - China and Iran - Saudi Arabia/UAE and UK - Argentina... The world is full of conflicts but somehow thinks remain peaceful, for now or till Obama trashes the US military so badly rendering it incapable of defending us good guys in this hostile yet currently peace full world.

US is the worlds police officer and if we lose that... get ready for WW3. with out the US we would be on WW6 by now...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedomrus

i doubt since alot of the reasons why the u.s is disliked it because it plays world police because we stick our noses where it does not belong

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Someone "in the know" told me that he once saw plans for a war in either 2020 or 2025 (I forget) - this was described as being a WWIII scenario - but he said there were plans readily laid out detailing a war waged between US and its European allies, against Russia, China and Venezuela. Yeah, Venezuela. It's what he said.

So whenever I hear of US-Russia relations, I think of that. I wouldn't put money on it but it makes me think. China basically owns the United States economy, and Russia is, well, Russia. Both countries are rapidly evolving and anything could happen.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

im confused i dont understand what you are trying to say we are in 2010 if you didnt know

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
Someone "in the know" told me that he once saw plans for a war in either 2020 or 2025 (I forget) - this was described as being a WWIII scenario - but he said there were plans readily laid out detailing a war waged between US and its European allies, against Russia, China and Venezuela. Yeah, Venezuela. It's what he said.

So whenever I hear of US-Russia relations, I think of that. I wouldn't put money on it but it makes me think. China basically owns the United States economy, and Russia is, well, Russia. Both countries are rapidly evolving and anything could happen.

How can someone "in the know" have world war plans for ten years in the future? You can control society but you can't predict people and I doubt the current powers that be will have much influence in ten years to do much of anything.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by Son of Will

How can someone "in the know" have world war plans for ten years in the future? You can control society but you can't predict people and I doubt the current powers that be will have much influence in ten years to do much of anything.

Dimitri, you would be dumb founded at the level of which society can be manipulated to do what it does not want to do.

Remember this statement ?

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

- Hermann Goering : Nuremburg Trial.

So true, but as always its forgotten in heart beat, humans are so predictable.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by tristar]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Russia makes plenty of money, either directly [Arms sales to Iran] or indirectly by supporting Iran's stance against the west. Which has sanctions in place to prevent Iran from selling it's fuel to most European countries. Russia likes that. They do not want more competition, the Russian economy needs the fuel profits from it's European sales. So When I hear a supposed shift in Russian policy towards Iran I think politics, nothing more. They support Iran's stance against the west to insure the sanction stay in place and their fuel profits will remain unaffected.

With regards to WWIII war plans. Yes, there are probably a couple of dozen or more scenarios already worked out. That's exactly what military 'think tanks" do. They try to anticipate the next major conflict. They also try to anticipate ways to prevent Major conflicts by "Policing" certain regions to prevent them from escalating. [Putting out brush fires]

I always get a chuckle when I hear people make statements about how Russia will fight for Iran or join a major conflict against the US/West over an Iranian/Israel conflict. The USSR didn't want to fight the US/West, what makes people think that Russia which is drastically less powerful than the [older more powerful Soviets] would want to fight the US/West anymore than their fathers?

Interesting read OP S & F

Thanks PEACE

Slay

[edit on 10-8-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
The USSR didn't want to fight the US/West, what makes people think that Russia which is drastically less powerful than the [older more powerful Soviets] would want to fight the US/West anymore than their fathers?

Interesting read OP S & F

Thanks PEACE

Slay[edit on 10-8-2010 by SLAYER69]

Do you really believe that modern Russia is less capable than the Soviet Union? The only difference between the two, militarily, is that the Soviets prepared for conquering continents and total war while the Russians have prepared for surgical strikes against vital targets in order to disrupt the bloodflow of its enemies/rivals.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So When I hear a supposed shift in Russian policy towards Iran I think politics, nothing more. They support Iran's stance against the west to insure the sanction stay in place and their fuel profits will remain unaffected.

Exactly.

The article was written for the Chinese mouthpiece china.org so is sure to reflect current China policy position. China also maintains a close and cozy relationship with Iran as trading partners and is willing to tolerate a nuclear Iran.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Are you really that daft? I would prefer that we DON'T police the world.

My tax dollars are not to be used like monopoly money in the Middle East.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I feel very confident in saying that without the US playing world police, we would have a much safer planet.

top topics

join