It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Race-hate words found not illegal

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I don't see why you care about being called a so called 'race hate' name. In 50-100 years there won't be any more 'White Devils' so you can all rejoice.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

The problem is not the origin of the word, it's the meaning people give to that word that matters.

Although, like that explanation from Wikipedia that you posted, we use the word "negro" in Portuguese, that word does not have a bad connotation, in Portuguese that happens with the word "preto", that also means black, so while in the US one word may be considered offensive and the other not, in Portugal its exactly the opposite, with "negro" being the politically correct word, but we do not use an altered word like the n-word.

It's all in the meaning, if someone calls you intelligent in a sarcastic manner you will interpret that in a different way of being called intelligent in a normal manner.

That's why I said that I think that offensive words must be seen case by case.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by fapython
I don't see why you care about being called a so called 'race hate' name. In 50-100 years there won't be any more 'White Devils' so you can all rejoice.

These are troubling times. White people need to wake up from their deep slumbers and smell the coffee before it is too late. Stand up in defiance to Political Correctness. Educate yourself on "White Guilt" and how it is used to manipulate and suppress the rights and opportunities of people who happen to have pale skin.

(I know it sounds strange, but white people deserve as much opportunity and as many rights as any other group. Of course there are those who believe this should not be the case due to the actions of "our" ancestors and "our" relatives...)

[edit on 11/8/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Yeah. Yelling 'FIRE' in a crowded theatre, joking about bombs in a suitcase at the airport or even picking on redheads are rights too, as much as making racially disparaging comments in an ethnic community should be, correct? Go ahead and try to use those rights. It might be enlightening.

Unbelievable. That retiree needs his meds boosted a bit and that judge needs a refresher in civil law.

If you really think that inciting panic in a crowded room or airport is comparable to criticizing someone's skin tone/life style, then you may need your head examined. However, I'll extend the benefit of the doubt and say that this post was a passionate one, rather than a rationally thought-out one.

There are many racist, discriminating, and defamatory words in our world. Who gets to decide which ones are legal and which ones aren't? The word "fat" and "obese" are used every day in society, thrown around as often as the word "and", yet while I might find these words offensive, it's very unlikely you share the same opinion. However, what if I get 10 people to agree with me? or a hundred? or 20 million? Can we outlaw the word then? Can we throw people in jail for saying "Dude, you're obese"? Where do we draw the line? Just because a word offends you, don't make the mistake of assuming that it offends everyone else.

Further more, no word in any language, at least not in America, gives you the right to hit someone. You may personally think that because someone used X amount of Y words to insult you, this gives you the right to hurt them. But I think a judge would strongly disagree, no matter your race, creed, or sexual orientation.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
One of the problems with making words like '''n-word''' illegal, is the fact that it makes the use of these words more of a taboo - thus increasing their power.

The reason that someone uses these words is to cause the recipient anger and distress.
If you avoid having an emotional attachment to these words, then they have no power over you.

If someone calls you a '''n-word''', and you genuinely don't care, then you have defeated the entire purpose of the person calling you that in the first place !

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join