It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Challenge To All Christians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
First off let me say that i am in fact a ''christian'' so this isnt another one of those ''christian bashing'' threads.I recently returned from a six week missions trip to Nairobi Kenya and it was an eye opener.Africa is truly one of the most beautiful places on this earth.If you have never been i strongly suggest you go.Anyhow for those of you who have never been to Kenya it is an extremely poor country.Millions and millions of people living in one city that is basically a ''slum''.To give you an idea of what everyday life is like in Mathare valley Nairobi i will tell you of the street children.Yes street children the name implies exactly what it states children who live on the street.Children live on the streets for a variety of reasons.Most of them arent good and i can assure you its not because they want to.Many children will live on the street due to the death of one or both of their parents.Other children will leave home to live on the streets because of physical emotional and sexual abuse by parents or even siblings.Other children are forced to live on the streets because their parents or relatives kicked them out of their house (a tin shack if your lucky).

Regardless of the reasons these childrenS lives are anything but easy.Each day depends on the basic needs to survive water food shelter.For a street kid each day begins by begging.Street children will walk to highly populated areas so that their chances of receiveing money or stealing are higher.If these children are caught police officers will beat the child almost to death sometimes all the way.Street children will typically buy shoe glue (if they have any money if not they steal it).The shoe glue is in a plastic bottle and sniffed throughout the day.The glue acts as a drug and curbs their hunger pains while giving them strength to continue begging.Sadly the glue is addictive and kills brain cells and will eventually render the child lifeless.

At sundown street children will return home which for most is a trash dumpsite.Trash sites are used because trash is an insulator from the cold and rain.And also because food and sellable items can be found in trash dumpsites.It is currently estimated that seventy thousand street children live in Nairobi and twohundred thousand live in other parts of Kenya.I could go on and on about child soldiers and the sex trade but i think ill save that for another time.What i really wanted to do with this thread was challenge christians to actually do something instead of just sitting in church every sunday.

I ask you what are you accomplishing sitting in your chair every sunday week after week?Do you enjoy hearing the same boring sermon week after week.Or is it a habit you have gotten into?So before the flaming starts yes i know that all christians and churches are not the same .I am not lumping everybody into the same catergory.And this is not a ''holier than thou'' thread either.My purpose for this thread is not to preach or condemn.It is to inspire and challenge christians to preach the gospel and make disciples and baptize and heal the sick.Its time for us to collectively get outside the four walls of the church and do something as a corporate body.Sitting in church every sunday isnt cutting it, people are going to hell.Jesus didnt tell us to sit in church every sunday no he told us to preach the gospel to all of creation.

No wonder christians are ridiculed so much we talk a good talk but we dont walk it out.We have become pharisees.I hope that the people who read this thread wont just go ''amen brother'' and then fail to do anything.It is my sincerest hope that i will inspire at least one person to do something extraordinary.We must stop going to church every sunday to smoke the spiritual joint of marajuana and start hiting the streets.I am as tired and fed up with the ''religious corporation'' as anyone else church has become a business.Where is the house of prayer Jesus talked about.Finally Be the change you want to see in the world.

EDIT: Edited by the SPCP (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Paragraphs).

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
There are much bigger things in this life to worry about than what brand of shoes to buy or what restarant to eat at.Dont concern yourselves with trivial things.Please dont be indifferent.Remember''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing''-Edmund Burke Go to Africa and see the suffering and the pain and the beauty it will change you forever

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm not quite sure how I can respond to your OP without sounding boastful or like a bragging dolt.

Let's just assume for a second that some of us Christians have different gifts of the Spirit. And lets also assume that Paul was serious when he wrote 1 Corinthians 7:20, "Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called." Look, I've longed to take a mission trip, but there are just as many unsaved people on my block or downtown in my city as there are somewhere that you need a passport to get to.

I feel lead by the Lord to preach to the people I work around on a daily basis, (a prison), and I get to share with them the gospel of Jesus Christ daily almost. What you've just come back from is great, but if I just decided to uproot myself and go and do it without being lead in the Spirit by the Lord I'd be operating outside His sovereign will, and I don't think that's a good idea.

We should all in fact do just as Paul said to do in 1 Corinthians 7:20 unless the Lord calls us to do something else. Yes, the poor do need the gospel of Jesus Christ. But so do the rich people. God is not a respecter of persons and wills for all men to come to repentance. It is true that many "Christians" are just going through the motions, but you have no right to judge another person's servants.

"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand." ~ Romans 14:4

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Please dont misunderstand me what your doing is exactly what im talking about.Every christian is called to preach the gospel mabe not in foreign countries but at least in their neighborhoods and local communities.What your doing is important and neccesary.You dont have to go to Africa to preach the gospel.Though i would reccomend going just for the awesome experience.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by I Want To Believe

I apologize then, I misread your statements. I think we all feel like we are not doing enough to make the Lord pleased, this may be true for some, but again it may be a spiritual attack as well. I dunno. It could be honesty as well realizing that we are utterly inferior to the Holiness of the Lord. But I feel that we can all do something for the kingdom of God.

I just wanted to let Christians know that they can serve him anywhere, and it's not everyone's calling to be a missionary. I would like to someday, but I can't say that I have a calling for that at this point in my life. But when I hear of the harvest brothers and sisters are experiencing when they go it makes me want to do it also.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I agree with you on the point that not everybody is called to be a missionary but i also believe that as disciples of Christ we are all called to follow his example and his teachings.Preaching the Gospel is something all christians should do no matter where they are or what they are doing.Thats why its called the Great Commission.The book of Luke 10:2 ''And He was saying to them The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few therefore beseech the Lord of the Harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.''

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

We are definitely in one accord as regards to the Great Commission. And your experiences in Africa are a blessing to hear about, but it's important to let those know who are Christians here that if they are serving Him daily, and telling people in their lives about the gospel of Jesus Christ that they are fulfilling that commission. I want to encourage them that not all are called to be missionaries and the important point is that everyone can do something to build the kingdom of God.

The fields are ripe for the harvest, not only are they ripe in Africa, South America, and Eastern Europe, but also New York City to Beverly Hills CA.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That is exactly why i created this thread to challenge the christians who arent preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to start.It doesnt really matter where you preach the gospel as long as you do.Whether you go to Africa or New York city it doesnt really matter as long as you are putting forth the effort to actually do something.Some people might say that murder is greatest sin a man can commit but i say the greatest sin a man can commit is the sin of being indifferent and doing nothing.Though scripture cleary says that sin is sin.I have been to litteraly dozens of churches and met hundreds and hundreds of christians and they have all talked about God and Jesus and the gospel but then thats it thats as far as it goes.I am not judging those churches or those christians i just want to see them doing the Word not just hearing it every sunday.What good does it do to just hear and not do?You are absolutely right the fields are white and ready to harvest.I have noticed though that in America it does seem that it is harder to witness to people than it is say in Africa but then again Africa is an extremely spiritual and superstitious country.Whereas in America we are a very scientific technological country.Perhaps this is the reason.Have you noticed this also?Maybe its just me.I have been on missions trips to Mexico, Panama ,Guatamala, Brazil, Argentina,China, the Phillipines,South Africa and Kenya (not bragging)and out of all of these i find that Americans are by far the hardest to witness to.But i could be imagining things.Who knows.Keep praying that the Lord will send workers into his harvest.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
No you're right. America is like the Greeks Paul taught, Africa could be compared to the Jews. When Paul taught the Jews he didn't need to teach them about God because they already believed He existed, but when He went to the Greeks is was an entirely different message. That's why he said the Gospel of Jesus Christ is foolishness to the Greek and a stumbling block to the Jew. I'd say that it's much harder to save souls in America and have revival in America then it is in other parts of the world that have not been indoctrinated with secular religion since kindergarten.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

So the question i ask myself is ''how do we (christians)fix America''.I love America im an american.I love freedom and liberty and democracy the things that make America great.I love baseball and cheeseburgers.Im not only a disciple of Christ but im also a patriot.I truly believe that America is ''one nation under God''.So i ask myself how do we change America.How do we bring America back to what it was originally intended to be?No matter where i go in the world there is no place like home.Your thoughts?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Many Christians (and other religious and non-religious groups) DO walk the walk, and try to help people in downtrodden nations. It's pretty unfair to single out one religion, when many other religions also champion charity (and yet aren't involved in such endeavors).

Besides, especially in this economy, not everyone is in much of a position to help (in fact, many who have previously done so, now find themselves homeless or in need of charity to help them get through)...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Dont missunderstand me.I am a christian and this thread is directed at christians not muslims or buddists or hindus.As i stated earlier i know full and well that there are many christians ''walking the walk''.I have met many of them.I created this thread to challenge those christians who arent walking the walk and if you would have read my posts more closely you would have discovered that this thread is about preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ not charity.Also this thread isnt about being a missionary and helping downtrodden nations (i just used Africa as an example to inspire christians)its about doing the Word on a day to day basis.I know that things are tough in this economy thats why i said you dont have to go to Africa to preach the gospel.You can do it in your own neighborhood and community its really simple.Anybody can do it.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thank you for editing my post by the way.Since only 4000 characters are allowed i needed as much space as possible because i had a lot to say hence no paragraph structure.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Even if not called to mission, all Christians have a role to play in carrying out the Lord's work in the world.

For instance, during the 1990's a member of the congregation of a church in England was asked to speak to the group about the situation in Afghanistan. He told us about how girls were not permited to attend school, how women could not access health care as females had been barred from practicing medicine and were not allowed to attend services provided by men, how the children of widows were starving and or homeless because of the disempowerment of their mothers. So, by bringing this news, he had fulfilled the Lord's work on this issue. Other members of the congregation were deeply affected by this story, there was much quiet weeping in the church that day.

One of those affected felt the calling to go to Afghanistan and do something about it. This member did not go to spread the gospel but rather to be as a living testamony. I shall not reveal too much about the individual in question, but a way was found to minister unto the health and education needs of the women.

The member sent back (via third parties, individual and national) regular updates on the work being carried out along with success stories and particular/detailed requests for prayer. The church as a whole found diverse ways to support this missionary in the field. Funds were raised, prayers made, the missionary's personal affairs dealt with (ie bills paid on time etc). Each member of that congregation carried out the Lord's work, in accordance with whatever they felt the Lord had placed in their hearts.

And that misssionary was just one of many within that particular congregation.

Sometimes, the hardest thing a Christian can do is, wait patiently on the Lord. We may in our hearts feel the need to give witness, through spreading the gospel or through direct action but until the Lord has made the way clear to us, we can only wait! And continue praying.

[edit on 13/8/2010 by teapot]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

You are absolutely correct.Every christian does have his or her own role to play in carrying out the Lords work.My point is if you call yourself a christian (a disciple of Jesus Christ)then do the work of a christian.Mark 16:15 ''And he said to them Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.''By definition every disciple is supposed to follow the example of the teacher who taught that disciple.In this case Jesus went around saying ''The kingdom of God is at hand repent and believe in the gospel''.He also healed the sick, cleansed the lepers,cast out demons and raised the dead.He made disciples (fishers of men)and taught the multitudes.As disciples of Christ we are called to follow Jesus's example and do the exact same things he did.That is our Great Commission.This isnt something that is negotiable.People are dying everyday and going to hell.These arent things we are supposed to do every once in a great while. We are to do these things on a day to day basis.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

So very difficult! This proclaiming the gospel! Especially on home turf!

Living the life, obedient to the commandments of love. Try telling those who do not want to hear, those whose very being cries out with 'don't shove it down my throat!' rebuttal, is completely counter productive! So, in Truth, seek other ways to sow the seeds of life.

Amongst the congregation I mentioned in my previous post, were some elderly women, many widowed, many who had personal health issues, some who had husbands and families. I am finding it difficult to express my thoughts on just how much some, who may appear to offer nothing, to not be living the life, contribute! The people who run the tea stalls for example, raising funds for those in the field. What a powerful testimony! Those who promote and nurture peace in their own communities and the power of prayer, to combat evil, lessen the harm.

I think that if it were not for prayer, the world would have been engulfed in endarkenment long ago.

Proclaiming the central theme of the gospels, that Jesus is the only way to eternal life, nobody that I have ever mentioned this to has taken the news well. I soon learned I had to find more subtle ways to have the conversation, that the conversation itself rarely works in itself anyway, that actions, such as yours that you have told us about in this Thread, these are the ways the Lord uses to open the doors to understanding.

There is just so much more to evangelism and prophecy than mere verbal proclaimation, some of it quite joyful!

Thanks be to the Lord and thank you for this Thread I Want to Believe.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

You obviously had a "Spiritually enlightening experience" in Africa.

Good for you, I tithe and have for forty years.
The church passes some of that money on to affiliated charities.

Additionally three to five times a year missionaries come to our church, from a mission in Africa, South or Central America, India, China and I usually give them extra money directly to them to take to their mission field and spend as they see fit.

I hope you stay with the situations which produce a spiritual experience for you and in time with enough spiritual experiences under your belt you will have a spiritual awakening.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Matthew10 16-23 ''Behold I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves so be shrewed as serpents and innocent as doves.But beware of men for they will hand you over to the courts and scourge you in their synagogues and you will even be brought before governors and kings for My sake as a testimony to them and to the gentiles.But when they hand you over do not worry about how or what you are to say for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say.For it is not you who speak but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.Brother will betray brother to death and a father his child and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death.You will be hated by all because of My name but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.But whenever they persecute you in one city flee to the next for truly I say to you you will not finish going through the cities of Israel until the Son of Man comes.'' Jesus told us straight out that preaching the gospel was going to be difficult and hard.I have experienced first hand exactly how hard it is.Three years ago i spent four weeks in one of the worst countries in the world (in my opinion)Panama.Imagine preaching the gospel in 112 degree heat for the first two weeks.In fact during that time nine different people tried to kill me for my wallet.It was a very difficult time and i almost gave up hope but i pushed through it with the Lords help and persevered.In those four weeks my team and i lead over 350 people to the Lord.So i believe it was well worth it.Preaching the gospel in your home town is indeed a very difficult thing to do.I myself have had a difficut time with it.But i still manage to do it everyday.I met someone i dont know and i ask them if they know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.Usually people tell me to **** off but every once in a while i lead someone to Christ.Its all worth it when that happens.But even if someone is resistant to hearing the gospel at least i have planted a seed in them to grow and mature.So i believe that one day someone will come along and lead that person to Christ because of that seed i planted. Yes i agree with you prayer is one of the most powerful and profound things christians can do in these times.Fasting is also just as important.In fact over four years ago i was in Brazil and if it wasnt for prayer and fasting we wouldnt have seen any results.When myself and others go on missions trips the people praying for us and supporting us are preaching the gospel just as much as we are.Thank you for posting in my thread.I hope i have challenged and inspired you just as much as you have me.Thank you and may God bless you and keep you always.If it is all right with you i will pray that that the Lord will give you the boldness of lions to proclaim his gospel.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by I Want To Believe]

[edit on 13-8-2010 by I Want To Believe]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

Thank you for supporting missionaries and evangelists.You would not believe how hard it is being a missionary these days.It requires a LOT of money to maintain a mission in a foreign country.Its really quite stressfull.Please continue to support missions with whatever you can give.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I donate lately lots of money to Priests For Life, and American Life League, a charity and mission to stop aborting children in America. I pray for abortion to stop.

That is a mission field here in America.

4,500 to 9,000 abortions a day in America.

So far since abortion has been legalized the tally is 80-100 million babies in America.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join