It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moscow death toll soars as heat wave persists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
I don't think anyone can deny that the world's weather is whacked out at the moment. Heat and forest fires in Russia, Western Canada and now Portugal. Extreme cold killing both wildlife, domestic animals and people in usually sub-tropical areas of South America. Devastating rains and floods putting millions of people at risk in Pakistan and China.

The fires in Western Canada happen every year. I know because my homeland is right smack in the Cariboo Fire District which has at least 102 forest fires right now. Half of the fires are accidently created by man, the other half are products of lightning or other natural occurances.

Though however they are made, my home will always be threatened by fire because the area is nothing but mountains, valleys and infinite trees. Of course pine beetles don't help when they turn virtually every pine tree here into an incendiary device.

But of course it is different in Russia. What is happening there is mostly a result of human sprawl over nature and as much as I love Russia, they are reaping what they have sown.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Never underestimate the power of the Russian against an enemy, be is monarch or nature. This will only make them stronger.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

While there is a fair amount of negligence on the part of the Russians who, according to news reports remain careless in where they throw their lit cigarette butts, the temperatures are something beyond their control. How did they create the month long heat wave and drought??

Your pine beetles are not natural to BC are they? My impression was that climate change played a role in their spread.

I still say there is nothing natural or normal about the extent of crazy weather, not just here in Canada (its been tropical here in Southern Ontario since early spring -- not complaining mind you), but just about everywhere. Maybe this is just a bunch of coincidences, but its not normal by a long shot.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

While there is a fair amount of negligence on the part of the Russians who, according to news reports remain careless in where they throw their lit cigarette butts, the temperatures are something beyond their control. How did they create the month long heat wave and drought??

Your pine beetles are not natural to BC are they? My impression was that climate change played a role in their spread.

I still say there is nothing natural or normal about the extent of crazy weather, not just here in Canada (its been tropical here in Southern Ontario since early spring -- not complaining mind you), but just about everywhere. Maybe this is just a bunch of coincidences, but its not normal by a long shot.

I did not necessarily mean negligence on Russia's part, but the threat of radioactive smoke is not nature's doing alone.

And no, pine beetles are not supposed to be here and they've basically ravaged half of BC and left it to burn. We've turned it into a war against pine beetles, but I think it's been nature's war with us all along. If we didn't have such a large and unnecessary dependence on our forestry sector then this wouldn't even be that big of a deal.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join