It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moscow death toll soars as heat wave persists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Moscow death toll soars as heat wave persists

www.latimes.com

On Monday, Moscow health authorities announced that the number of deaths each day in the capital had nearly doubled to 700 as most of central Russia entered the seventh week of a heat wave. The high temperatures, hovering around 100 degrees, have destroyed 30% of the nation's grain crops and triggered massive peat bog and forest fires that alone have killed more than 50 people and devastated dozens of villages.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Note Copy the exact headline

[edit on 8/9/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The MSM is starting to put figures on the Russia drama.

it sounds like apocalypse ...

and we have no indication that the situation is coming under control whatsoever...
and damages could turn global in no time

as the gulf spill damages could the other side of the planet...

coincidence ?

then dont we have the power to stop this ? haarp, eiscat, climate control anyone ?

looking forward for some input from russian ats members, if only they can

love & prayers to all russian;
what else can we do at this stage?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit afterhand :

the article is misleading in the sense it is attributing the deaths to the heat wave. From my perception of situation, the heatwave create the conditions for the massive fires to be out of any control.

But it is the smoke from the fires (potentially radioactive - that is why it could turn global) that is killing people and create apocalyptic (imagine one part of the word screwed by corexit in the water, the other by radioactive ash in the air... wecome to 21st century...) life conditions in Russia only (for now).

"The windows in her apartment on the sixth floor were wide open and every piece of furniture in the apartment smelled of burning" from the thick white smoke hanging in the air outside.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ::.mika.::]

Mod Note Copy the exact headline

mika note : headline changed by latimes after publication on ats, put a complaint on latimes website instead
[edit on 8/9/2010 by semperfortis]

[edit on 10-8-2010 by ::.mika.::]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
From the safety of our technological shielding from such events it just seems so unlikely that something as simple as a heat wave could kill so many. And, yet, these things happen and they always leave us speechless and at a loss. I sit here, in my A/C, astounded, avoiding the reality of just how precarious life is. My thoughts, obviously, are with those afflicted and their loved ones.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
*D'oh. Double post*

[edit on 8/9/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Looks like Al gore was right. We should just bend over and accept a global tax so he and his company can make billions at every one elses expense.

And this will also help get that centralized global government funded and going.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ::.mika.::

love & prayers to all russian;
what else can we do at this stage?

indeed!

peace

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It's been over 100-105 in the Dallas, Texas area for the last 2 weeks. It's summertime! Drink plenty of fluids, avoid the heat of the day, take the necessary precautions. Are Russians that ignorant?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Heat wave deaths happen here in the US, predominantly in the northeast every few years, or so ,as well, usually in environments that are geared more for the cold and not for heat - a lot of insulation, small opening windows, solar shielding, and no A/C, and usually in very dense population centers. Not an ideal environment, at all, to face these types of temperatures.

*edited for absent minded grammer*

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
From info I saw, the average temperature for Moscow in August is around 73 degrees.

Also, the article seems to indicate that the smoke may be playing a role in some of these deaths.

My prayers for those in Russia.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
if theres a nation on earth that can get through this, it's the russian. just something about them that screams" I AM A TOUGH MOFO"

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4 and Hefficide

see my edit guys,

the problem is the smoke not the heatwave directly,

the smoke is killing people and even if the fires stop tomorrow many, too many will suffer long term effect potentially leading to premature death

it is not about the heat wave the article is misleading in its title at least

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
It's been over 100-105 in the Dallas, Texas area for the last 2 weeks. It's summertime! Drink plenty of fluids, avoid the heat of the day, take the necessary precautions. Are Russians that ignorant?

God your arrogance astounds me. You don't have the smoke of hundreds of peat and forest fires all around Dallas to compound the high temperatures do you? They do. Its not the same simple situation you are dealing with.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
When it gets really hot I just take a bath and turn the AC to HIGH. That usually does the trick. If Russians lack AC then I would suggest impacting the wildfires with tactical nukes.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I was wondering if any of the smoke from wildfires was laced with radioactive particles from radioactive areas. While I could not determine from internet searching if that was true or not, it could happen if those areas catch on fire. I did read the peat moss fires are potentially laced with heavy metals and the air in Moscow is not safe to breathe. Apparently they do not have very much air conditioning. I read some doctors offices in hospitals have air conditioning but not in the areas where mothers are giving birth. That would make that experience awful. I'm very happy to have air conditioning or I would not be able to tolerate the high heat and humidity here in the southern US.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
If they lack Air conditioning then the second best solution apart from tactical nukes would be to relocate the refrigerator to the smallest room in the house, maybe the bathroom. Then put all your family inside there and turn it on. Enjoy the cool air.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ::.mika.::

Thanks for the information! I'm trying to catch up as I go here. I'm on vacation this week and my only rule for vacationing is "no news" so I am lagging in awareness. Now I think I'm up to speed!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by xLogic

what about u relocate there ?

(the main benefit being not having to read so disgraceful comments anymore)

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

as usual we might (never) get the full truth about what is really happening... as we never got the full truth about Chernobyl...

from rt.com from the 6 of august : Wildfires could spread to region irradiated by Chernobyl disaster

The main fear is that the fires, which are moving further south of Moscow toward the Bryansk region, could disturb and spread the contamination buried in the ground after the Chernobyl nuclear accident.

indeed it is impossible to know for sure where the ground stops to be contaminated

According to hindustan times today, they are protecting nuclear facilities : www.hindustantimes.com...

The canal was dug at Sarov, whose nuclear site, ringed by forest now, produced the first Soviet atomic bomb in 1949 and remains Russia's main nuclear design and production facility. The emergencies ministry said that the situation in Sarov had “stabilised”.

but the threat is definetely real

Foreign Officials Evacuate Russia Monitor's Jessie Heath reports, "Canadian and Polish embassies evacuate nonessential personnel from Moscow, threat of nuclear cloud from Bryansk"

www.theatlanticwire.com...

[edit on 10-8-2010 by ::.mika.::]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I don´t understand how people like xLogic can talk like they do!

The average Russian doesn´t have the life standard we have here in the rest of Europe or in the US. Most people there simply cannot afford A/C! And even if they can, right now it´s nearly impossible to get one! Even regular fans are sold out because of the heat wave that´s lasting for 2 months now!

I was there 2 weeks ago, and I really like hot temperatures. But there you don´t have the kind of dry heat we have here in Central Europe, they have a very humid heat. One slight move and you sweat like hell.

And with all the smoke it means, that in Moscow, where in most apartments you have temperatures exceeding 30°C, you can´t even open the windows, because then you will have the smoke in your room! I want to see guys like xLogic in such a situation. Then I doubt that they would talk like this... This is just a pure nightmare!

I myself have my wife and my baby daughter there right now (luckily 500 miles from Moscow - but they will have to get to Moscow in order to take the flight home). I will be the luckiest man on earth when they arrive here safe and sound!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I don't think anyone can deny that the world's weather is whacked out at the moment. Heat and forest fires in Russia, Western Canada and now Portugal. Extreme cold killing both wildlife, domestic animals and people in usually sub-tropical areas of South America. Devastating rains and floods putting millions of people at risk in Pakistan and China.

Have I missed anything? All this happening at the same time.

Those of us in safe and secure circumstances aught to be grateful. At the rate things are going any of us could be next, and our modern conveniences may become meaningless.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join