It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Blob-Like Creature of the Deep Revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This information is a few days old, but I haven't seen it on the forums yet and thought it worth the notation.

Researchers have produced A 3-D computer model of the Drakozoon a blob like creature that lived about 425 million years ago and the only known fossilized specimen in the world.

Drakozoon lived in the ocean during the Silurian Period, 444 to 416 million years ago, and today's model hints at how it lived.

The research reveals that Drakozoon was a cone-shaped, blob-like creature with a hood and it probably had a leathery exterior skin. It appears to have survived in the ocean by attaching itself to hard surfaces such as rock. It was approximately 3mm long, and used filament-bearing tentacles to catch and eat organic particles in seawater. It pulled its hood down over its body for protection against predators, pulling it back again to expose its tentacles when danger passed.

The research reveals that Drakozoon was a cone-shaped, blob-like creature with a hood and it probably had a leathery exterior skin. It appears to have survived in the ocean by attaching itself to hard surfaces such as rock. It was approximately 3mm long, and used filament-bearing tentacles to catch and eat organic particles in seawater. It pulled its hood down over its body for protection against predators, pulling it back again to expose its tentacles when danger passed. Link

Apparently, it is quite rare to find a soft-bodied creature fossilized, but the researchers say they were lucky this time. They found the fossil entombed in a bed of volcanic ash which kept it intact for 425 million years, or so.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
NICE POST!

3d imaging of fossilized remains- nice!

edit for size: 3mm aint too big-

i think i might have a few of his cousins in a fossilized river sample

[edit on 9-8-2010 by hillbillydudeman]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Very strange looking creature - why the bright colors in the image - certainly this is not the way it looked?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Its to show the extremity on its upper half- in more vivid-ness

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbillydudeman

No. It wasn't very big, but 425 million years ago is quite some time. I would suppose that many of Earth's "early species" were small and blobbish.

From same article

Scientists have debated what the first relatives of all creatures on Earth may have resembled and how their bodies evolved. Some scientists think the creatures had repeated units, similar to a caterpillar with its many segments and legs, while others think that their bodies were structured in more free-form ways, similar to slugs.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
hm the image reminds me of an zerg infestation

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Lol. Ya, it's a bit freaky.
Wonder how close this 3D version is to the true life?

top topics

join