It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Approaching. What the...Storm front caused a panic in the Hietaniemi beach.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

CHRLZ me ol' mate!

Hey.....great photo!

I recall a few years ago, me & the Mrs were driving down the Pacific Highway from Port Macquarie to Taree. It was one of our very first trips driving a quite expensive new car we had just bought for my wife.

Anyway, we saw this very spectacular "roll cloud" looming in front of us from the south.....it looked really evil. I thought "Noooo.....not the new car!".

We pulled straight into a servo. 10 mins later this storm smashed everything around us.....cars trashed, roofs off houses.....the lot.

It was quite a sight.....

Cheers mate
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
I have seen storms come in like that in Indiana over my lifetime. The cloud front is low and fast. The only thing you have to worry about is microburst, and straight line winds. The fast moving front is riding on a thin surface layer of air. If the boundary becomes turbulent, then the high speed moving air will dip down to ground level and rips thing to heck.

A decent microburst is an amazing show of force indeed. I encountered an awesome microburst while I was living in Ohakune, NZ. If I didn't know any better, I might have thought it was a tornado. It tore branches of trees and blew debris everywhere. It was associated with a cold frontal system though, not a convective thunderstorm or 'super-cell'.

The OP video is amazing footage. When I saw it, it reminded me of a video of a cold front hitting Wellington earlier this year. You can see the squall lines approaching on the water, although maybe not quite as fast moving as the OP vid. Here it is if anyone wants to see it.

While searching for the above video, I found another video which appears to be the same storm, after it has moved further into Wellington harbour.

As a side note, the above video has comments believing there is a UFO. The poster of the video says that any objects seen are in fact identified. Just thought I'd clear that up, in case of any rampant UFO speculation. This is ATS after all

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by porilaine

Thanks for the links Porilaine! Those for sure showed what happens when a tree falls on top of a car
Can you imagine if something like that hits Helsinki or Tampere or Turku for that matter? Lots of damage and chaos with some possible casualties. Hope this storm season is over and it doesn't become a yearly occurrence, cause if it did it would change a lot of things here in Finland, plus all kids of new insurances we'd have to pay

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
For the people that asked.

The creepy face starts appearing at 0:48 right in the centre of the storm cloud (on the OP's vid).

[edit on 11-8-2010 by skitzspiricy]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Great videos. Just looking at them make me wish I lived closer to the water despite the storms. Better than living here in the hot desert atleast.

When I hit the lottery, I will make sure to buy a house next to the ocean

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It seems storms are getting bigger and meaner all over. The water seems to fall out of the sky faster. Drops on the windshield of cars break apart faster than they used to. I blame it on some act of man on the surface tension of water. Maybe HAARP or cell phone radiation, something is changing the way water behaves. Call me a nut if you like, but it is my pet conspiracy theory.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ringht_n_wrong

It did hit Turku, Tampere and Helsinki. Those super dangerous gusts hit the festival area at least and 2 people were send to hospital in critical condition. I know that Pispala area was hit pretty heavy too. Major cities were spared from those heavy down winds mostly. Also there's another predicted storm already heading here

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
It seems storms are getting bigger and meaner all over. The water seems to fall out of the sky faster. Drops on the windshield of cars break apart faster than they used to. I blame it on some act of man on the surface tension of water. Maybe HAARP or cell phone radiation, something is changing the way water behaves. Call me a nut if you like, but it is my pet conspiracy theory.

It may seem that way, but I'm not so sure. Just 20 years ago, noone would have been getting any of the footage we have seen in this thread. With the advent of video cameras, and now, video in nearly everyones phones, there is a lot more videos of extreme weather. Couple that with major improvements in information accessibility, such as the internet, and dedicated news and weather channels, and you would expect to hear a lot more about these things.

Regarding the water on your windscreen. Is your car relatively new or has it been washed recently? Sounds like you've got a bit of Rain X or similiar product. They can make quite a dramatic difference in the way water behaves on your windshield.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It looks like a Derecho. The storms are pretty powerful. Almost like a hurricane over land. I was present during the one that hit Memphis, TN in 2003 and I can say these kind of storms are very scary and very powerful. It got the nick name Hurricane Elvis because the winds got to the level of a Category 2 hurricane.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Willie Nill]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I know exactly what your talking about. Many years ago was out off of Sanibel Island when a super nasty storm came rolling in. What makes it worse is the fact that the engine was acting up and to keep it going you had to pump the ball on the fuel tank. Being on land these storms look crazy, but until you are on the water thats when it really puts some fear into you.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
well i can surely confirm the odd weather, longest winter i remember in estonia and also the hottest summer i remember... but hey im only 21 what do i know

people are saying over here we should get used to it... because the climate is changing, they say autumn and fall are things of past, and that we should expect a cold cold 6 month winter and a hot 6 month summer, i doubt them but when you take into account our last winter lasted for 6 months.... and the summer is still going so strong, you never know

I for one love these storms

but year on topic:

estonia got hit by the same exact storm and it was big & bad, just as the video shows

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Good video. I love the way that even with this creeping up on them at the biginning, the stupid humans were still sitting on the beach laughing.

If I saw that sort of storm front on the horizon, I'd be getting the hell inside, not waiting until it bore down on top of me.

At the beginning, the storm wasn't moving all that fast by all appearances, but still looked nasty enough that I wouldn't have been sitting complacently on the beach.

I've been in large storm systems like these, and they can change in a heartbeat, as shown in this video.

Nice find!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

The ocean certainly has an appeal that is hard to quantify. I haven't always lived by the ocean, but always within close proximity to various waterways, whether lakes, or rivers, or seas. I've always loved being by the water, and especially of late, the various forms of waves

The city in the video I posted, for those who didn't know, is the capital city of New Zealand, Wellington. Wellington is situated on the south tip of the North Island, next to the notorius Cook Strait.

I havn't lived in Wellington, but I have stayed there many times. It definitely deserves it's reputation as the windiest city in NZ. Storms like this are certainly not a rarity.

To be honest, I love seeing storms such as this. Lightning and storms are better than any TV show for me. As long as you are safe and comfortable, of course (at least, partly comfortable)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

What do you mean by another one? You mean another one similar to Asta or a milder one like the one on the video? And where did you see the forecast for that "next big one"?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I'm not sure about how severe it is. They might be hyping it up but considering what the weather has been like I wouldn't be surprised if it was even worse than before. Here's one link Iltalehti (Finnish)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Woah bro!!!I really do hope its all hype... cause I just spent over 700 euros on my car to get it fixed and would hate to see a tree smash it to pieces
Gonna keep my eyes open for this one, and maybe even take some pics...nevertheless it should be exciting!!!And thanks for the link.

Regards

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Raud

I promised I'd upload some pics of my own.

Here they are:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52b8129c8097.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f50a9c1f02e0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa9b0eb38839.jpg[/atsimg]

All photos are taken during a couple of dramatic minutes in August last year, somewhere in the middle of the Swedish inland.
The storm came on fast, just like in the video.
As I said; my girlfriend had to pull me into the car as the storm came over us. I was just standing there, watching it in total awe, like spellbound...

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here's a working link to what I believe to be the original (deleted) video from the opening post:

www.youtube.com...

Pretty intense, looks like the camera person shut down the filming and hauled ass.

# 434
edit on 15-5-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: better video found

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join