It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Cuts Defense Bureaucracies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Washington…Facing growing pressure to cut military spending, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates on Monday ordered the closing of a major Pentagon headquarters, restrictions on use of contractors and reductions in the number of generals and admirals.

The belt-tightening moves, Gates said a Pentagon news conference, were aimed at eliminating duplication and reducing overhead to free up funds for military operations at a time of growing fiscal constraints.

"My greatest fear is that in economic tough times that people will see the defense budget as a place the solve the nation's deficit problems," Gates said.

Pentagon officials would not supply estimates of the cost-savings from the steps announced Monday. They admitted that the savings were a miniscule part of the $712 billion that the Obama administration has requested for fiscal years 2011.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.latimes.com...

It finally looks like the government is making an effort to cut back, though not entirely like they would have us believe. The military will still hemorrhage money and not all of it well spent either. Gates is saying that he wants to free up money for weapons, probably an attempt to appease the military-industrial-complex, though we all know that the government pays far too much for weapons that often don't work as advertized. It's just a way to rape the American tax-payer and ensure that we will always have a "boogieman".

Still, this begs the question, are they trying to save money, or is there simply no money left to save? I realize that we have run out of money a long time ago (figuratively speaking), but have we now run out of credit to? Is this the beginning of the long awaited and dreaded bankruptcy?

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I was cut 11 years ago from my DoD job as part of Al Gore reinventing the government. The government continued on regardless of what the damn politicians whined about. It happened then, it will happen now.

These politicians are concerned one thing only, and it isn't the Federal workers that going to lose their jobs. They want votes to keep their collective asses in power and a comfortable retirement.

They need to cut, cut, then cut some more on the bureaucrats within all organizations. Contract out every Federal job not GIN (Government in nature) and then review it again to see if it is really needed.

Firing 2800 Federal employees and closing a Command Center is what I'd call a first step.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
While it is good to see the military streamlining and cutting back on waste, I have a feeling that this may have been a directed retaliation for Virginia's opposition lawsuit on O-care. As much as I would like to think that politics stayed away from this decision, it comes just way to soon after Virginia announced it's challenge against O-care. Maybe I will take a look and keep an eye on other states that bring this challenge. S+F.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
WOW good findings, this stuff is totally going to be bookmarked.

new topics

top topics

join