It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boredum with life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I am 19 from a fairly well connected family, The problem is the pressure from everyone I know to go to college and have me throw my money down the tubes to pay some professor who knows what the books tell them to say isn't that appealing to me. I am fairly bored with life and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I am interested in marine biology and horticulture, however, I am not good at traditional schooling as it is not interesting to me.

I am looking for any ideas people have that have had similar experiences?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
i am the same way , i never way any good at school , i did not graduate , and it shows in my spelling ,also . my thirst to lean came to me in my twentys i am only 26 ,but let me tell you i am hurting .i wish i would have gone on to learn more .alotho i must say because i have not taken an educated road . i had to learn the real side of human nature , and because of this my sens to read and connect with people is far more greater then your avrage joe .so its not to late for me and now i am starting my jurny to learn from the books ,so dont feel gulty if you do , you will find your way as i have ..but try to at least outline it now ..

btw my way was aviation

many thanks

Nephi

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Why not study marine biology in college? What else are you going to spend your money on. You don't pay the professors, you're investing in a lifestyle. Also, studying in college is what you do when there are no parties to go to.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am a college dropout. Pretty much because a degree isnt' a guarantee of a good job. I dont care how much money I make, as long as I can live within my means I'm ok. I would rather be happy about the job I am doing. Sometimes I wonder if I should go back to school to get said degree. But I always feel like I could be filling my time up doing something else.

link   
im exactly the same, normal schooling never appealed to me and as a result i failed now in my 20s i want to learn more and think i could if i found something interesting enough

which for me is physics, chemistry and biology (in school they didnt really teach loads on these)

i will hopefully be going to college and get that out of the way so i can concentrate on the stuff that really interests me..im sure there are other ways but i dont know any

i hope you find your way

moosevernel

link   
double post *apologies*

[edit on 9-8-2010 by moosevernel]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Boredom, not boredum.....just saying......not that I am a spelling bee champion either.

Marine biology and horticulture? Well, you just might have to find a career in a less than mainstream business without having schooling and credentials attached to your name.

Here's a website that lists many people who succeeded without a college education, and some of them had less education than that.

www.collegedropoutshalloffame.com...

Do you see yourself as successful as any of them? Just something to ponder.

Edited to correct some spelling errors.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by kyred]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I am in my later 30s and dropped out of college. I had the exact same attitude as you!!
I dont have many regrets in life but my 1 main regret is that I didnt finish college. I would of loved to of been an lawyer. I regret not using my given intelligence to the maxiuim.
You should go to college and study what you like. Your interests might change in a few years but you will always have something to fall back on and you will meet nice people and have good fun at the same time.
Please trust me when I say " working life is long enough"
Hindsight is always 20-20 vision.
I wish you the best in whatever you decide.
Peace and happiness.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by KezigluBey

You might look more into that well connected aspect.

Millions of ppl around the world would be eager to suffer from boredom
instead of the problems they have now.

Make a list of what you enjoy and your skills.

Make a list of professions that interest you and see if any can
be done without a college degree.

For most ppl the college life is a LOT easier than the working life.

Unless you have really good connections...

If you do go to college research the teachers ahead of time
because they can make or break a class.

If you do go to college also line up tutors beforehand in areas
you suspect you will have trouble.

Good Luck !

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I would suggest you take a year off and do what you like. Reflect, volunteer, travel if you can.
Make list of what you enjoy, your passion, things you would like to do etc.

Maybe a "bucket list" of things to try.

Don't rush into a decision, take your time.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I was never a consistently good student, until my mid-thirties when I decided that education is its own reward.

I returned to school with a vengeance and studied mostly what interested me the most.

It was the smartest thing I ever did.

If you're not ready for college don't waste anyone's time or your money.

The true value of education is intangible and college is valuable for its process as it is for its content.

Just bear that in mind.

[edit on 2010/8/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Go with the flow and follow your dreams once you realize them.
Education is an important factor,don't squander it because of a lack of course and direction at this time. Try new things. We are humans, our interest may change overnight or a blink of an eye.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thank you all for your input, I've decided I am going to work and look for direction.

top topics

join