It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Jesus ran for President, would he win?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
A Jew who preaches love and forgiveness? Let's say his party was the Christianty party, and all of the different factions (Protestants, Catholics, etc.) make up the different factions that the Democrats and Republicans have within their own parties.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
i smell a theological debate coming on...and its gonna be in the wrong forum i'm afraid. but i'll wait and see what develops.

out of curiosity why are you asking? you seem to have a thing with jesus lately, personal matter you're trying to work out or something? or is this in response to certain politicians who believe in god?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I hate third parties.

But for Jesus? Hmmm. Nah, still wouldn't vote him.

Maybe just to clarify the discussion. Is it really supposed to be Jesus? Or just someone claiming to be Jesus, that may or may not be Him? What about a Party that claims to be RUN by Jesus?

They already exist: The Constitution Party

Preamble

We, the members of the Constitution Party, gratefully acknowledge the blessing of the Lord God as Creator, Preserver and Ruler of the Universe and of this Nation.

We solemnly declare that the foundation of our political position and moving principle of our political activity is our full submission and unshakable faith in our Savior and Redeemer, our Lord Jesus Christ.

We hereby appeal to Him for mercy, aid, comfort, guidance and the protection of His Divine Providence as we work to restore and preserve this Nation as a government of the People, by the People, and for the People.

The U.S. Constitution established a Republic under God, rather than a democracy.

And there you go. Or if it's truly just a new party RUN BY THE REAL JESUS, is he offering miracles? Like fix everything, feed everyone, end all war? Or just more of his usual COMMIE TALK with nothing to back it up? Loaves and fishes for everybody, heal the sick, care for the poor, love the sinner, yadda yadda?

I think He'd make a great Democrat by the way should he ever give up this foolish Third Party commie business.

All above said in good fun.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
He would never win...he advocated love, compassion and SHARING.

You can't rile up the sheep without an enemy...and a communist could never win in this country anyhow.

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think he'd lose on the tax issue alone.

The minute he said "Render unto Ceaser that which is Ceaser's" somebody would come along and paint Him as a big tax and spend liberal.

Bottom line: THE DEVIL himself could beat Jesus if he offered tax cuts.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'm an athesist, but I respect Christianity, because it has such a beautiful message. But lately, it seems to me that politicians who profess to be Christian, act very un-Christian-like in my eyes. Would Jesus support the death penalty? For example. I hear so many people say that we are a Christian nation, but what kind of policies would Jesus support? How would he direct and lead our country? Could he even get elected? I think people use Jesus to their advantage, while not living his ideals. So, I was wondering if Americans would trust Jesus enough to be President. I chose the MudPit because I was thinking of purely the belief as it applies to politics, rather than actual theologian debate. Maybe it is the wrong forum, but I the gist is, since so many politicains run on a 'Christian" platform, and so many people vote their religion, what if Jesus actually ran? Would Christians vote for Jesus if he dictated how taxes, welfare, illegal immigration, the use of our military, etc. were run? I personally think that American would not elect a Jewish Presisent, Vice President maybe.

I really didn't notice a Jesus vibe coming from me lately. It may be because the gay marriage issue has been in the spotlight lately, and I always think, WWJD? Since so many Christians site the Bible as a reason to deny civil rights.

EDIT: I say no. He would spend too much on welfare and not support the death penalty. I wonder how he would use the military?

[edit on 18-6-2004 by curme]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I'm an athesist, but I respect Christianity, because it has such a beautiful message. But lately, it seems to me that politicians who profess to be Christian, act very un-Christian-like in my eyes. Would Jesus support the death penalty? For example. I hear so many people say that we are a Christian nation, but what kind of policies would Jesus support? How would he direct and lead our country? Could he even get elected? I think people use Jesus to their advantage, while not living his ideals. So, I was wondering if Americans would trust Jesus enough to be President. I chose the MudPit because I was thinking of purely the belief as it applies to politics, rather than actual theologian debate. Maybe it is the wrong forum, but I the gist is, since so many politicains run on a 'Christian" platform, and so many people vote their religion, what if Jesus actually ran? Would Christians vote for Jesus if he dictated how taxes, welfare, illegal immigration, the use of our military, etc. were run? I personally think that American would not elect a Jewish Presisent, Vice President maybe.

I really didn't notice a Jesus vibe coming from me lately. It may be because the gay marriage issue has been in the spotlight lately, and I always think, WWJD? Since so many Christians site the Bible as a reason to deny civil rights.

i'd like to think jesus and god are nice loving people, howver there are those who think otherwise, to suit their own agenda and way or thinking. even you or i thinking jesus or god is was or should or could be a loving person its still our way of thinking.

i truly dislike disucssing religion for this very reason, people confuse opinion for fact. because a says something doesnt make it so.

for a guy who isnt religious you sure love to bring christianity up an awful lot.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

for a guy who isnt religious you sure love to bring christianity up an awful lot.

Hey, I'm American. It's a part of my culture and government, sometimes way too much.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If Jesus ran for president I'm very sorry to say I would vote for Bush. Although the prospect of free wine does sound good... hmmmm. nope I'd have to go for the lesser evil and keep the dumb texan in office.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
How would know its actualy Jesus ?

I think that would create one hell of a war if he actualy became president.

Deep

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Hey, I'm American. It's a part of my culture and government, sometimes way too much.

no you brought this up because of certain politicians being religious and you said as much. you have a point but its one based on beliefs that are subjective, relative and open to interpretation. i agree with you but even i dont talk about this. IF there is a god, THEY have to answer to him for their own actions. bringing up what you feel is a twisting of religion for their own cause is pointless honestly and if anything might even start an argument over what the bible says itself about such things.

i think your point is more theological than political as it brings up the religious motives behind their actionds rather than the acitons themselves.

i find it hypocritical as much as you do but i feel this is so based on my own opinion and interpretation of christianity, which is what any of us are doing.

of course they're no different than terrorists that claim to be cleansing the world of the infidels or those who slaughtered thousands in the name of god during the crusades or those who died during the spanish inquisition, which oddly enough you cover with your sig and avatar mocking it.

i believe you are a tad more preoccupied with religion than you realize.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think Jesus would win. His dad is one of the few that has more clout than George Sr.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
How would know its actualy Jesus ?

That's a good question. Would he be a homeless black man who hangs around transients all the time drinking while street preaching? Because if that's the case I'm sure there are a few people already who might be him.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well the actualy existence of Jesus is well debated as a true real to life figure. So how could we believe that one was Jesus and running for president after this ?

Deep

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Let's assume we know it's Him. Would His economic, domestic, and foreign policy win voters?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Let's assume we know it's Him. Would His economic, domestic, and foreign policy win voters?

Now what exactly would those be ?

Thou shall love thy neigbour

Thou shall give to the poor

Thou shall attend sunday school every monday

lol

Deep

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

what would his position be on those exactly? his true positions or what YOU believe they would be? see the problem yet?

i find this whole conversation a waste of time as i dont think jesus, if he was real and was truly a nice loving person, would even want to run for president much less go through with a campaign and such.

you're wanting us to do a lot of assuming and i dont like to assume if i can help it.

you're obviously dangling a carrot out there for someone to bite. rather than waiting just get on with the "point" instead.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm just asking, someone who cared so much for the poor and the suffering of others, could he get enough like-minded individuals to support his posistion? (As to what he believes, let me know). Love they nieghbor. Obviously he supports interacial marriages. Would that cost him voters in the South? Could he win the Midwest? Would other polititions bring up his past to mud-sling? He is just a carpenter. Could they 'spin' his relationship with Mary Magdalene? I'm not trying to set anyone up for failure. So many politicians claim to be Christian, what if Christ was a politician? Could the greatest man who ever walked the earth be supported if he lived today? Just some election fun, I'm not trying to stir-up any animosity.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'd be curious to hear Jesus, the candidate, and his views on gay marriage, abortion, etc. In his day, he could just turn some bread into fish, or water into wine, and people would listen up. Nowadays, I'd think he'd be playing to a much more demanding audience...

Then again, like most political candidates, he was known to keep the company of prostitutes, and that could cost him the election!

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think if Jesus comes down to run for president he will be kill again, by those that do not agree with him. Remember he was a martyr after all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join