It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glen Beck compares Obama's America to "Planet of the Apes"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm confused as to what the fuss is about.

Perhaps it's because I'm not American, but what's the problem with him suggesting that he's had a ''time shift'' to the ''Planet of the Apes'' ?

It seems it's just hyperbole to accentuate his point about the state of the USA.

I've never seen the film, so perhaps I'm missing something.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
I'm confused as to what the fuss is about.

Perhaps it's because I'm not American, but what's the problem with him suggesting that he's had a ''time shift'' to the ''Planet of the Apes'' ?

It seems it's just hyperbole to accentuate his point about the state of the USA.

I've never seen the film, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Nothing wrong with you mate. The US media and the DNC are currently running an all out strategy to smear Obama's most prominent critics as racist. Hell, they're even going after regular American citizens at tea parties. Its got some people seeing racism around every corner. Its gotten REALLY out of hand in the last year.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Hudson]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Try to understand that the race thing is constantly played. I swear to God there are bots at CL which simply spray out black and white race baiting. It comes like a wave, whenever the administration packages cause the economy to teeter, and it is ugly. Pictures of animals, scatology, white goat comments etc.... Beck's just playing the game. If he understood the Ape trilogy he would hang his head in shame. I guess money gives one immunity from that.

Type E cranium..very unusual. Bring that one to my office...female.... (studies specimen)

NO. Those two are marked for target practice. (those who know about the technology are destroyed).

Peace freedom. Freedom Peace.

Peace freedom. Freedom peace.

(don't hurt them; we don't want martyrs)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Thanks! I was at work when I first found the thread and they have youtube blocked.

______

Now that I'm home and have watched the video, the makers seem to have taken the worst possible interpretation and ran with it. I have to wonder if so many would automatically jump on the "Beck was being racist!!" wagon if it hadn't been for the movie clip added on to the footage of his show.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is hilarious........Beck is so colorblind that even making a statement about "The Planet of the Apes" being in an alternate reality where "the world looks the same but its out of control" never even crossed his mind that people would take it as racist.........

AND YOU CALL HIM A RACIST.........if the president was WHITE , people wouldnt be saying anything...........whose the racists now? Give me a break...

And the monkey cartoon? Seriously? How many times have people said "monkeys could do your job" HELLO! Pretty straightforward! No racism there......its an old saying.......

GET OVER IT.......THE PRESIDENT IS BLACK......WHO CARES! I dont, Glenn Beck doesnt, most of America doesnt...........

Its you RACE baiters who take any chance you can get to try and throw the race card out there, WHO CONTINUE THE RACIAL STIGMA!

RECAP: Planet of the Apes reference= Parallel universe where things look the same but are in upheaval.

Monkey cartoon = Monkeys can do your job, shoot the monkey.....

Seriously people.......

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Would it be wrong of me to say it doesn't really matter what Beck does or doesn't compare something to? As far as I'm willing to go is to
at his insanity and theatrics.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
RECAP: Planet of the Apes reference= Parallel universe where things look the same but are in upheaval.

I read that and The Matrix was the first movie to came to my mind.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hudson

Isn't this all a bit tenuous ?

Is the line of reasoning from some people really that mentioning ''Planet of the Apes'' is ''racist''?

He used the common expression ''What planet are we on ?'', and then answered his rhetorical question by comparing the modern day USA to the Planet of the Apes.

Nowhere did he aim that at Obama or any specific race.
He was just referencing a well-known film.

Once more, it appears to be the supposed anti-racists that make a knee-jerk mental connection between ''Apes'' and ''Obama''.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I also believe the term "racist" is throw around too much. You don't have to be racist to be insulting.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

first of all, matrix wasnt a parallel universe it was about awakening.......

So in this case planet of the apes would have been more appropriate......

But then again, people will see race where they want to......

I watched this episode, I didnt think anything of it.....its a shame that people are so racially sensitive that drawing this analogy would cause them to be upset.......seriously its being in THAT mind set thats the problem......

Not the harmless analogy

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Applause on your post, that is EXACTLY what ive been trying to say over and over in all these racism threads.......

people who claim not to be racist, but are so sensitive about it, that they will see racism where there is none.....

I bought a white binder today for my office instead of a black one, does that mate me a racist?

This seems pretty much on par with that.......

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
So, in summation and based on thread posts ...

It seems that the consensus on using this film clip to demonize Beck and paint him as a racist is:

FAIL.

As we touched on briefly before, I suggest we move on and start a thread where we can discuss whether Carville could really be an ET based solely on his looks.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
first of all, matrix wasnt a parallel universe it was about awakening.......

So in this case planet of the apes would have been more appropriate......

Semantics and no one gets anywhere arguing semantics. I think we should send the whole lot of them to Afghanistan to cover REAL issues. The only drawback would be if Carville and Coulter produced a child. THAT would be the Anti Christ.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
So, in summation and based on thread posts ...

It seems that the consensus on using this film clip to demonize Beck and paint him as a racist is:

FAIL.

I didn't know this was a contest or a court counselor.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

More then that, its just another glaring reminder that people on the left , and politicians on the left, will stretch so far as to discredit and demonize someone, that these paper thin accusations have become the norm.

Racist is a strong hateful word to paint someone with, and they know it. Its the quickest way to black ball someone, and they will use it at every turn.

Beck has been accused of a lot of things, and there are relentless attacks against him and ANYONE who is conservative or part of the independent movement........

Obama ran his campaign talking about how he was going to make color and race a "non issue" but he pulled the card and MADE it an issue at every turn. Well played sir, well played........

Remember the WHITE cop that arrested his BLACK friend, then they had to have the beer summit and photo op? (seriously all this is pretty blatant)

Remember, Glenns a RACIST
Tea Parties are RACIST
Arizona and anyone who supports the bill is RACIST
IF you dont support Obamas politics its because youre a RACIST

Starting to see the picture here people?

PUT AN END TO IT!

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Read my post again.

I've added "important" information.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I also believe the term "racist" is throw around too much. You don't have to be racist to be insulting.

The problem lies with the misusing and ridiculous overuse of the term.
People are becoming desensitised to it, and it's like the boy who cried wolf.

There are all too many real examples of racism and prejudice in the world, which need to be addressed, but there is a danger that many of the real instances of racism will get swamped by the frivolous and inaccurate use of the accusation.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

LoL I will agree with you there, that would be a very scary thing indeed....freakishly tall with some pretty grotesque features....

Perhaps they could house him at Notre Dame?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
uh aren't we all supposed to be descended from apes?

not sure how this would be racist, even if he was trying to infer that obama's special interest stuff is akin to something an ape would do - perhaps referring to it not being an example of smart thinking/planning. if you ask me, the REAL prejudice is spelled DARWIN and his cronies, who thought black people were lower on the evolutionary scale than the other races on the planet, but that's neither here nor there. i'm pretty darn sure glenn beck doesn't believe in darwinism. so from his perspective, the comment would have some other inference and best guess i can come up with is, he doesn't think obama is playing his cards intelligently.

i agree though, it does have that shock value to it, and he's most likely regretting he said it right about now (there are many black mormons today and they'd be up in arms if they thought beck was being racist on national TV).

[edit on 9-8-2010 by undo]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hudson
Explain what away? You're the one who immediately connects apes to something associated with Obama. Beck reference was pretty obvious to those of us without race on the brain.

Funny, I didn't see the OP mention race in the opening post. Looks like you are guilty of the same thing.

edited to clarify point.
edit #2 because I suck

[edit on 9-8-2010 by nunya13]

[edit on 9-8-2010 by nunya13]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join