It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon's monster mushroom is world's biggest living thing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
wow and they dont even have a picture of it

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There really isn't much to see, as it's just a "whitish" carpet under the forest folliage.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Hey it was new to me. I appreciate having it brought to my attention. I had no idea fungi could grow that large.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ughh, fungus. Useful but I'll have none on my pizza, thank you.

Somebody grab the Tinactin, Planet Earth has a big case of athletes foot.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Step away from the 'New Thread' button.

No worries mate, to err is human. It was big of you to admit your mistake. There's many on here who would have argued for pages that they knew the article was 10 years old and that the thread was an 'anniversary' thread.

I was just gutted because as soon as I saw the thread title I knew exactly what you were referring to and was thinking WOW I wonder how many km2 this one is. When i read it i literally had a flashback to when I had read it in 2000. I write sci-fi and horror and those sorts of articles stick with you. I knew The Independent had gone down hill but I couldn't believe they'd be re-printing old stories.

They are amazing lifeforms and when i think of them they always make me wonder what else we have yet to discover beneath our feet. Are their giant worms like in Tremors or Dune? There are carnivorous fungi, but are there giant carnivorous fungi able to catch, trap and digest something the size of a man?

There's just so much we don't know about the Earth. I wonder what lifeforms the military industrial complex know about from all their Deep Underground Military Base construction. Apparently the biomass of all life beneath the surface dwarfs the total biomass of all life above it. Science is very fertile ground for a dreamer like me.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by inkslug

Just to repeat my U2U in public: I appreciate your patience and hope that next time I will be smart enough to give you the benefit of the doubt.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I freaking need a photo of this thing. Holy crap, that's massive.

Indeed, use it to fight global warming.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I should give credit to Tyrannyispeace for trying to tell me this was old news also. I got the post moved to a more appropriate subforum.

thanks again

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I should say from May, 2006

Scientists have discovered a monster of the deep off the southern coast of Ibiza. Bathers and boaters shouldn't worry though, as the monster is neither a giant man-eating crocodile nor a boat-eating octopus the size of Leeds. It is in fact a plant, Posidonia Oceanica, which covers the seabed all round the island. The boffins have found a strand of Posidonia which measures an incredible 8 kilometres and has been growing for at least 100,000 years. This makes it the biggest and oldest living organism in the world today.

source

[edit on 8/9/2010 by iforget]

[edit on 8/9/2010 by iforget]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Imagine if something like this was in fact hallucinogenic and it was in the area that you lived in (close enough to breath in the spores etc) and it was causing you to have hallucinations 24/7.

And yeah, its something ripped straight out of that one XFiles episode

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Picture

It's mostly underground...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Glad to know that i am not the only mushroom on planet Earth.

Kept in the dark and fed.......!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tyrannyispeace
I thought the fungus in Florida was the biggest and oldest living organism found.[edit on 9-8-2010 by Tyrannyispeace]

Those sure are some big organisms

But im not sure they are the oldest ones out there.

The worlds oldest *known* tree is pretty dmn old

The world's oldest known living tree, a conifer that first took root at the end of the last Ice Age, has been discovered in Sweden, researchers say.

The visible portion of the 13-foot-tall (4-meter-tall) "Christmas tree" isn't ancient, but its root system has been growing for 9,550 years, according to a team led by Leif Kullman, professor at Umeå University's department of ecology and environmental science in Sweden.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

[edit on 22-8-2010 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

If this thing is even remotely hallucinagenic then I know where next years Burning Man is going to be held...

thats for shure

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Man, That is one huge Polish National Tree!!!! Wow, I wonder what it tasts like with butter and garlic???Thanks for the thread, like somone else said, thanks for finding my relative!!!!!! Family Reunion!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join