It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is happening to the Sun?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
During the recent Transit of Venus on 8th June the Sun was totally clear. Now no more than a week later its riddled with sunspots, with an M-class solar flare on the 13th. Currently there are no less than 4 sunspots/groups on the sun. Most being larger than the planet Venus?

Big sunspots 634 and 635 have "beta-gamma" magnetic fields that harbor energy for M-class solar flares. If there are flares in the days ahead, the explosions would likely be Earth-directed. M-class flares are medium-sized; they generally cause brief radio blackouts that affect Earth's polar regions.

Anybody have any ideas on the matter?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
just how the sun works. sometimes more sun spots sometimes less sun spots

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I check the NASA Soho images regularly as well as spacewheather.com and I too have noticed a significant incrase in sunspot activity lately as well as recent stron solar flares. Also, did you note the caronal holes? But I've noticed increasing activity on the EIT images that I've been very excited about mointoring and then POOF - time for CCD Bakeout......how convenient that its time for a bakeout just when things start to look exciting. And note, it won't be back up until 7/5. Makes it pretty intriguing. Also, do you ever look at the comet trackers maps? If so, have you checked the data log - it shows when each image was last updated (not the date of the image but the updated date). Well, I have been watching those for quite some time and there was something very intersting on there for a while and suddenly it appeared to me the images had been altered. When I checked the data log - in fact, they had been altered, most of them around the same data. Just what is NASA up to?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
sunspots go through 11 year cycles of highs and lows. if i remember correctly (but don't take this as certainty) the sun is heading into a high again.

and most sunspots are much larger than the earth, some even larger than jupiter. solar flares can reach millions of miles off of the sun's surface, which is several diamters of the earth.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Actually CM we are currently reaching a solar minimum. The last solar maximum occurred in 2000. This has been a somewhat unusually active cycle. The max should have peaked and been subsiding at least by 2002 however, we are still seeing a considearble amount of activity. Also, with this cycle, sun spots typically appear at the beginning/end of cycles around 35 degrees either north or south of the suns equator and travel toward the equator. When the reach the equator (at solar max) the suns poles shift. This is normal. But take a look at the current sun spots.

There are several and they seem quite close to the equator to me. And keep in mind we should be reaching the solar minimum next year - this is a bit unusual. However, if you compare to June 2000 (during solar max) you can see it is subsiding and nothing to get alarmed about.

But it is still very interesting none the less and makes for great fun with a bit of mystery. Afterall, even NASA hasn't totally figured out sunspots yet.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Ok this is all intriguing but lets just look at the basics! in the past year or so just going out in the sun has turned from taning to insta burn or almost intolerble heat levels in just a fe w miniutes. for example three days ago wwhil driving down the street on a clear day. i came into a clear line of fire from the sun. in less than a few seconds or more the heet was intense more so than i have ever expirienced and i had to duck behind the visor. i tried to look even in the direction of the sun for just a glimps and it was literaly un-do-able all i could see was brilliant white coming from the direction of the sun no shape to even make out just blinding sky it was unlike i have ever before seen so without all the scientific aspects of it can anybody elborate any futher. i dont realy hate to be a doomsayer but the bible has references to the sun in the last days. dont know the scriptur though. anybody?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I know what you mean about the instant burn! I used to get as brown as a coffee bean, now I just stay out of the sun, cause I burn, blister, peel...get skin cancer! YIKES!!

Where I live it has been so cloudy, that it has been dark most of the days, for the last 2 wks, except yesterday and today the sun finally came out, but it isn't the big yellow ball I remember, it is a huge hazy white blinding light bulb, somebody forgot to put the shade on!

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I found thiss today looks interesting behind the sun www.surfingtheapocalypse.net...

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by badkitty
Actually CM we are currently reaching a solar minimum. The last solar maximum occurred in 2000.

thanks. as i said before, i wasn't really sure. in my astronomy i mainly focus on extra-solar observations and don't pay too much attention (in detail) to that giant thermonuclear fireball in the sky.

E_T

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
...don't pay too much attention (in detail) to that giant thermonuclear fireball in the sky.

Which spoils visibility of deep sky objects in summers... at least here in Finland. (sun is under the horizon only for couple hours)

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I do find it very peculiar that during this particular time - with all the AB junk going around and the unusual things we've been seeing in the sun and comets popping up out of nowhere - that NASA's EIT images are unavailable due to "CCD Bakeout" and will not be back online until about July 5 and now all of a sudden the Lasco images are out too stating "door closed". How convenient.

As for this STA article on the crop circles - I think it is a stretch. They claim the center circle is a represetnation of the Swan image AB presented....The image AB posted was from 4/29 - go check it out HERE, it isn't even close to the layout in this crop circle. Compare it to THIS (scroll down toward bottom). And if you check all the Swan images from 4/29 to present it doesn't seem to fit any of them. And the image on the left supposedly giving a peek of what's behind the sun....well, the Swan images are a "full sky" images. They capture a 360 degree view around the sun which means it includes the far side of the sun. I don't think they did their homework before they started fantasizing about this one.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, I'm always looking toward the skies and I do believe some day something will come our way and it won't be pretty - but the article on STA seems to be all fantasy, I want facts.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Actually CM we are currently reaching a solar minimum. The last solar maximum occurred in 2000.

thanks. as i said before, i wasn't really sure. in my astronomy i mainly focus on extra-solar observations and don't pay too much attention (in detail) to that giant thermonuclear fireball in the sky.

That big flaming ball can really get in the way can't it?
I probably obsess about it a little too much - but hey, please keep us informed on other things out there that you stumble on!

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Does anyone else find it odd that SOHO Swan images have not been updated since 6/19, at the same time they are doing a CCD Bakeout, and if you compare LASCO 3 and 2 images you'll see what may be a CME on 3 but the same time frame is mysteriously missing from2? What on earth (or should I say Sun) is going on? Especiallly during a time when Sapceweather.com tells us there are two coronoal holes blowing serious solar winds at us, and we are currently supposedly in the midst of a comet dust trail. I want the images back and up to date and accurate.

(I just love a good mystery
)

OK, maybe it is just maintainance time - though why would you pick June, the month most notirous for metior showers, to shut things down?

E_T

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Nothing here:
sec.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Exciting news on the Sun today -
First - check out all the sunspots turning our way. Quite a few for a solar minimum period.

"After weeks of quiet, solar activity is increasing. One big sunspot, numbered 649, is emerging over the sun's eastern limb today. Last week this 'spot blasted a coronal mass ejection (CME) in the general direction of the planet Saturn; now it's turning toward Earth"

Now check out the pretty little (not) explosion:

"A series of C- and M-class explosions from the vicinity of sunspot 646 hurled faint CMEs toward Earth on July 13th. These clouds could stir mild geomagnetic storms when they reach our planet on or about July 15th."

spaceweather.com

"Coronal Holes: A solar wind gust from the indicated coronal hole could reach Earth on July 16th or 17th."

Just look at it light up!

Exciting solar times! You gotta love SOHO - that is when it's actually working.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Regarding that link to the crop circles...the symbol at the center of the circle on the left resembles the Egyptian symbol of Amenta
or the symbol of the underworld or death.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
By the way all -

"Sunspots = Solar Flares = Magnetic Shift = Shifting Ocean and Jet Stream Currents = Extreme Weather" Mitch Battros

So let's keep an eye on the weather over the next few days!

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Apparently the current sunspot activity on the sun is the most it's shown for over a 1000 years.

BBC

A new analysis shows that the Sun is more active now than it has been at anytime in the previous 1,000 years.

Scientists based at the Institute for Astronomy in Zurich used ice cores from Greenland to construct a picture of our star's activity in the past.

They say that over the last century the number of sunspots rose at the same time that the Earth's climate became steadily warmer.

This trend is being amplified by gases from fossil fuel burning, they argue.

df1

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

By the way all -

"Sunspots = Solar Flares = Magnetic Shift = Shifting Ocean and Jet Stream Currents = Extreme Weather" Mitch Battros

So let's keep an eye on the weather over the next few days!

Some have suggested that the Tunguska explosion may have been the result of an experiment by Nikola Tesla at Wardenclyffe from a 1908 article in Wireless Telegraphy and Telephone. In the article, Tesla states that he would be able to direct electrical energy to any point on the globe. The mechanism and inner workings behind Tesla's Wardenclyffe facility are not well understood. Tesla had stated it was an evolution of his magnifying transformer and could concentrate electromagnetic energy output over long distances. Tesla, in March 1907, did state that he was capable of "projecting wave energy" and, in April 1908, Tesla expounds on the possibilities of "direct application of electrical waves without the use of aerial engines or other implements of destruction".
www.wordiq.com...

If the military is playing with this kind of toys in a manner like Tesla, the results are unpredictable. People educated beyond their own intelligence are very dangerous. And I do not see any Einsteins in present day science.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I thought I heard the sun goes through supercycles. A cycle that is stronger thant most. I am a fan of solar flares though because if there big enough you can see a hint of the auora borrilas (I am not going to try to spell it) in Massachusetts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join