It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Corruption in the Manga Industry and other industries

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Ever Since the rescission started major companies and leaders of different industries such as movie, music, manga have begin a crusader against the pirates.

The only problem with there crusader against pirates , they offer no evidence to suggest that pirates are reasonable for there downfall at the markets by the consumer.

One example of that corruption is the Manga industry.

Freedom of net At stake.

inewp.com...

Japanese companies have lately started to take a firm stand against piracy in games, mangas, movies, and television shows. With the help of foreign assistance in countries where the pirate servers are located in, the Japanese companies in all cases “request” to have its licensed contents removed.

They are only this because america has been forcing them to do so, in other words americanization.

www.yomiuri.co.jp...

americanization? (Think of the children)

Whether the events in Iowa and Tokyo were related remains debatable, but the proposed legislation was met by an unprecedented formal protest. A lengthy roster of otherwise reserved or even reclusive manga artists, including veterans Tetsuya Chiba, Fujiko Fujio A, Moto Hagio and Rumiko Takahashi, gathered for a press conference to deliver a petition and declare their opposition to the bill.

Controversial archconservative Tokyo Gov. Shintaro Ishihara

Strong supporter of usa bases in japan.

The reason of the manga sell drop is the economy but Japanese manga publishers wont yet it admit it.

Yukari Shiina of World-Manga.com, an agency that brings the work of international artists to Japanese publishers, tells me that overall manga sales in Japan dipped 6.6 percent in 2009, with manga magazine sales sinking 9.4 percent. Shiina believes the depressed economy and exaggerated expectations (i.e., oversaturation of the market) are key factors behind collapsing sales. But she doesn't ignore the digital elephant in the room.

Again the manga publishers have nothing to better to then to play the blame game on the pirates.

Finding and buying in eupore is rare and pricey, and in most places in eupore mangas are nonsexist, this why people in eupore have visited one manga and other 30 manga scan sites.

And now the manga publishers along side with the american companies have teamed up to destroy our rights.

Don't the manga publishers know that the internet belongs to all of us? thus have no right of destroying that right.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Stopping people from digitally stealing =/= destroying your rights.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whyhi

Stopping people from digitally stealing =/= destroying your rights.

you must be new around here, i suggest reading other threads about our rights on the net before replying to my thread, it seems you dont know what is really happening in the outside world of business.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Probably the reason manga sells terribly is because they don't sell it for cheap in the US like they do in Japan.

In Japan they buy the manga for cheap and then recycle it. Here? I'm not going to toss my 8 dollar 4 chapter graphic novel into a recycling bin.

And then there's the fact that Japanese get preferential treatment on release dates.

If you want to hype up a series, you should expect to want people to see it when it comes out..

I wasn't going to wait a year to see gundam 00.. although I did watch it in English too..

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I've been aware of the media collapse for over a decade and have also been on a crusade to tell people to stop stealing. Sadly, people look at you like you have a deformed monkey hanging off your nose when you say something like-

"stealing from the comfort of your computer is as bad as breaking and entering into a place of business".

In fact, this plague of piracy has been running rampant for so long that there is really no turning back now. Once information became digital, nothing could be kept contained any more, so it just escaped every work-desk or production group and just ended up free on websites across the world. Its a damn shame so many folks have turned into thieves.

The world loses more and more morals every day...and folks tend to find you to be a "loser" if you do not join, or worse, stand against them.

Ten years ago, me and a band began recording and decided to combat piracy with a simple idea- "all our music was freely distributed and all money was made off merchandise and ticket sales instead".

The move worked so well. While other unsigned bands were trying to hustle out 100 CDs for 15 bucks a pop, we were dumping 10,000+ albums per album made. It did great for growing a large fanbase and even got us a little noticed by the industry and other countries with 7 albums released for free.

In all, I think all media will be free in the future, and while the idea of "free music" was absolutely insane in 2001, now we see almost all artists doing the same.

Stealing is wrong...hands down...it makes you a worse person and makes you dirty inside. Ha! It also is destroying all forms of media that people enjoy.

I applaud your morals for standing against it.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Theft is theft is theft is theft.

Not a difficult thing to get ones mind around.

I don't agree with the visage of Lars Ulrich whining that Napster is causing him to have to eat second grade caviar but the underlying truth is that stealing digitally is stealing. The argument that manga is cheaper in Japan falls apart quickly... Most electronics are cheaper there as well. Does that, then, entitle us to rob our local Best Buy??? C'mon.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'm a pirate yes... But the thing I do is kinda like free sampling.. If I like it I buy it... If its just not worth it well its not worth it. Also what constitutes stealing I lend a friend a cd and they put it on their computer is that stealing lets say that friend takes that same CD and lends it to a different friend that I don't know is that stealing. Or what about lending a DVD to a friend? Or lending books to people. There's a lot of gray area.

By the way I am playing devils advocate to a point. Most manga readers I know just read the new chapters that aren't in English then when they do come out in english they run to their local manga retailer and buy everything. They just can't stand waiting around for some rich translator to translate. When 3 or 4 people can have it done a lot faster. Yeah its fan dubs and they can be bad but its better than nothing in their minds.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Before we can talk about the ethics of file-sharing, we need to have a meaningful discussion about copyright reform.

Let me throw this out there and see if anyone agrees:

14 years, no extensions.

Protecting music, books, and other media beyond 21 years is folly, and flies in the face of the idea of copyright in the first place, which is -- to foster a meaningful exchange of culture and ideas.

By the way -- I am coming at this from the perspective of one who has published (and sold) original music. I am an artist for meaningful copyright reform.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

There is a grey area when it coms to eastern media in that, without piracy, sales in the West would be nil.

I have become a fan of Jap and Korean dramas, and have spent £1000+ on DVDs and soundtrack CDs over the last 5 or 6 years, but without filesharing sites I would have never even have heard of such a thing as K-Drama.

Same with Manga and anime. Word gets around and a percentage of downloaders will buy.

A distinction needs to be made between filesharing, ie people who sub and share because of their passion for their hobby, and piracy, which is people copying and selling purely for profit.

If they go after fansubbers I will turn my back on this market, not out of spite, but because I won't know what the hell I am buying.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 12arc

I do actualy see the difference here, and agree that this is kind of a gray area. Fan dubs aren't actually the same thing as the original content. File sampling as well. I have downloaded for the purpose of evaluation myself.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
If I have a manga, and give it to all my circle of friends - did they steal it?

Nope, same concept

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
Before we can talk about the ethics of file-sharing, we need to have a meaningful discussion about copyright reform.

Let me throw this out there and see if anyone agrees:

14 years, no extensions.

Protecting music, books, and other media beyond 21 years is folly, and flies in the face of the idea of copyright in the first place, which is -- to foster a meaningful exchange of culture and ideas.

By the way -- I am coming at this from the perspective of one who has published (and sold) original music. I am an artist for meaningful copyright reform.
I, too, have published books, sold prints of my artwork, and recorded a handful of commercially available CDs, so I think we're starting from the same place in that regard. Personally, I'd say 28 years, no extension. There are enough people still interested in the music I was making 15 years ago, that I wouldn't want to give up THAT easily.

My biggest issue with the current terms is the "life of the artist +70 years" BS. There's no justifiable reason the heirs of a creator should just be able to coast on their parents' royalties... no excuse why only every other generation should be creating content that we value. But yeah, I'd be fine with 28, and if I died today after making something yesterday, that 28 years of payments would get my kid through school. It's all I could ask for.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I'm open to discussing the pro's and con's of 14, 21 or 28 years.

My biggest concern is in protecting the vibrancy and depth of the continuous public domain. It is the seed from which all civilization and progress are grown. Thanks for your response!

[edit on 9-8-2010 by 0zzymand0s]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
In other words 3 people are for copyright bill, meaning, the closing down of 30 manga sites viewing mangas for free, and viewinig them where in eupore you cant get them nor buy them means nothing to you?.

So i assume all of you 3 are supporters of capitalism?

People in countries in eupore who cant afford to buy mangas, ipods, or anything will just have to wait for the mangas to come out?

Do you know something more? official mangas take more then one to two years to be officially translated and i know for a reason that creators themselves wont let the manags come out early as in japan, for us euproreans and north americans they will rather let us wait.

Until the series is over.

I guess no one on this thread has yet blamed the recession for all the mess, why i am not surprised.

Just so you know the manga industry enjoyed its wealth pre recession era during 2001-2006 but when 07, 08,09 came along that's when all other industries started to fall.

Every industry needs someone to blame in this case its the pirates
its all new boggy men.

What the manga industry has done with the 30 viewing manga sites there actions will only hurt them, there actions wont help there sells at all.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I'm not even sure I know what "manga" is, but I am against reactive copyright and for file-sharing, because I believe that it creates a potential customer, where as "piracy" fear tactics destroy a marketing channel.

That said -- I like supporting artists I find interesting and challenging, financially. I see no benefit in putting an interesting artist out of work, forcing them to create part time because they can't sell their work.

I also "try before I buy" occasionally.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
In other words 3 people are for copyright bill, meaning, the closing down of 30 manga sites viewing mangas for free, and viewinig them where in eupore you cant get them nor buy them means nothing to you?.
Actually, it means quite a bit... How many of those 30 sites are generating revenue for the people running them? I'm guessing all of them... through ads, link referrals, etc. I'm all for bootlegging... but I'm against bootleggers making a profit doing it.

So i assume all of you 3 are supporters of capitalism?
For the artists? Yes. For the greedy publishing companies who screw the artists? No.

People in countries in eupore who cant afford to buy mangas, ipods, or anything will just have to wait for the mangas to come out?
And which countries would those be, exactly? Since we're talking hypotheticals here...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Stealing material that someone has worked hard to generate is not ok.

If you love these comics you need to pay for them otherwise they won't survive, especially the newer brands.

Oh and you can still very easily find free manga online if you really have no other option.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by maskfan

If you love these comics you need to pay for them otherwise they won't survive, especially the newer brands.

Oh and you can still very easily find free manga online if you really have no other option.

once again let me restated

you need to pay for them otherwise they won't survive, especially the newer brands.

if we weren't in a rescission i would gladly buy all the mangas if i could, didnt you read the top of my thread?

Buying or finding new mangas or even old ones in eupore is rare and pricey.

I am not surprised everyone eles here has ignored the rescission

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

I did read it but as I could buy shonen jump magazine from my local Borders (when the uk had them) that was only a couple of weeks behind the Japanese prints and had tons of manga in it for like 5 pounds, and given that I can still buy it from my local comic stores or online today I dont really see the problem.

All I really got from your opening post was that you think you should be able to pirate material that someone worked really hard to produce, and whats more that because the comic production companies dont want you to steal from them that they are somehow corrupt.

The american companies pay to license the Manga and translate it into english, when there were no english translations available it wasnt a big deal and the Japanese were happy to let people become fans without forcing them to pay for it. Now they have outlets for your to acquire them legally in your native language (or at least in English / French / German / Spanish) a week or two after they come out in Japan.

Obviously they will try and crack down on the pirating industry. They are trying to protect their business interests.

Whether its the recession or not does not give you the right to steal. Do you go to your local grocery store and just take what you want and then walk out without paying? No of course you don't.

As I said if you really cant afford it but feel you have to have it anyway, there are still sites online where you can find the fanscans. Hell the big name comics (Naruto / Bleach / One Piece etc) get put up on youtube as comicvids.

I admit I read the scans but I also buy the collected edition graphic novels for the comics I read, with small independant comics or new titles that I like I buy individual issues. Why? because I want to support the products I like, and believe me I hardly have a lot of spare cash to throw around.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by maskfan]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by maskfan

The reality is this only works in Japan, where the market is huge and they know about the new artists. To extend to the outside world, where many do not have access to whats availiable, and to increase demand and interest, providing it in alternative forms increases their sales.

Same with Jrock music as well.

What this does is decrease the market, and its intended to by the US who want to force us to see their macho, stupid marvel comics that I detested, and only like Mangas, which are incredible stories in every format and idea you can think of, and often written by women, with subjects that appeal to females as well.

The US would never have created Inuyasha, and its perfect, beats everything the US has ever put out in any cartoon form. Or Noein, or Karen, or Ergo Proxy, or Ginta, or numerous stories.

Furthermore, I dont' believe in banks, realtors, or any form of patenst or copyrights.

I will never ever ever comply with these criminal laws, and the purchases I have made only happened by my exposure to the artists and the stories/music.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Unity_99]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join