It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smell Testing for Gulf Seafood as per FDA???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I cannot BELIEVE that the FDA is condoning SMELL TESTING for Gulf Seafood!!

www.lexology.com...

Meanwhile, some are questioning whether inspector sniff tests are sufficient to ensure the safety of seafood from Gulf of Mexico waters. Experts reportedly say that the smell tests are an efficient and inexpensive way to test for fish safety and claim they are currently the only way to test fish for chemical dispersants. At least one oysterman and shrimp and crab fisherman was not convinced, saying, “If I put fish in a barrel and poured oil and Dove detergent over that, and mixed it up, would you eat that fish? I wouldn’t feed it to you or my family. I’m afraid someone’s going to get sick.”

This simply boggles my mind!! Did I wake up in a third world country this morning?? The FDA is approving seafood on the basis of smell alone???

According to a news source, FDA, which is apparently developing a tissue test for oil spill contaminants, has repeatedly declined to provide information about toxic substances in oil.

SURELY this cannot be the best they can do after almost 4 months????

I am just too flabbergasted for words right now!

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ThatDGgirl]

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ThatDGgirl]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Just rub some dirt on it, it should be fine - (General mind set of EPA)

I am not that surprised. I was actually waiting to see if they would sell the contaminated crops and fish. I guess this is a sign pointing to yes.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

CRAP!! My bad.. it should have read FDA. I fixed it in the OP.
I'm sorry...I was so furious when posting that I screwed it up!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I like to dip mine in chemical disbursement so I know it is clean...

This should confirm that you don't eat gulf seafood!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
They were showing this on Cdn news a couple of months ago. They also admitted they didn't have any test for the corexit.

No matter how much they tell people it's just like lotion or detergent, I know that stuff was never meant to be ingested!! :shk:

I am seeing at least one news show everyday now saying the seafood is safe. Just like the air quality around the twin towers was so safe, firemen are dying now.

I think I need a backyard fish pond, otherwise, no more seafood

edit: what timing, fox new reporting on the seafood sniffers for the FDA right now, you can take a course to be a fish sniffer. They are saying this is "proof" the fish is safe. Even Megan Kelly from fox news doesn't look like she believes it for a second. :shk:

[edit on 9-8-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Now that I'm remembering that the FDA approved aspartame (among MANY other heinous things) I feel silly that I got upset at all. I guess I was just thinking about how many small businesses in the past who were ruined by rigorous FDA "inspections". And how many peoples' offices were ransacked, computers taken etc, all in the name of safety.... again by the same FDA who now says "If it smells ok, it IS ok!"

I am sickened beyond rational thought. Four months in and there's still no test for corexit??? I'm thinking LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I posted something similar a while ago. I agree. It's ridiculous.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

My bad, I didn't see your thread. And between the two of us we've gotten maybe 10 responses?? I think it's absolutely outrageous! On all counts!!

Maybe I should change the title to "FDA Approval = Death Sentence!!"

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't know about this "plan" for testing seafood. Are they serious?
This "plan" doesn't pass the smell test with me!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Here is what I posted in the other thread, since this one seems to be getting more attention and I think it's worth a look.

The CNN report states, "The samples will be sent to Seattle for chemical testing..." ( Video can be found by going to CNN.com and searching oily )
Of course, I had never heard of any testing aside from sniff testing, so of course I looked it up.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Jars of seafood samples line laboratory benches at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) facility, awaiting detailed chemical analysis for traces of oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill. But nobody checks for traces of the chemical dispersants dumped in the Gulf in unprecedented amounts to break up the oil.
NOAA scientists in Seattle are working on a procedure to detect minute levels of the chemicals in the flesh of fish and shellfish, said center Director Usha Varanasi. But don't expect it to be rolled out soon.
"Method development takes time," Varanasi said Thursday during a tour of the lab in Montlake. NOAA spokesman Brian Gorman said an initial version of the test might be ready within six weeks. Even then, agencies have yet to determine what level of dispersant chemicals is safe — or dangerous — to consume.

So, they report that there is chemical testing being done, yet it hasn't even been developed yet. And then, after it's developed, they have no idea what amounts are safe. (I'd say zero, but that's just me!)

And then, check this out!

Based on their chemistry, which is similar to water-soluble detergents, there's no reason to expect the dispersants to be highly toxic or to accumulate in fish and shellfish, Varanasi said. And because the dispersants mix with oil, NOAA's existing tests for petroleum contaminants should also detect any samples tainted by dispersant, she added.

Gilbert agrees those are reasonable assumptions — but says there's little evidence to back them up. "It's just nutty that we haven't done the studies."

It seems to me that the people doing the work don't even really believe in what they're doing.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by asianeko]

[edit on 9-8-2010 by asianeko]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
"It's just nutty that we haven't done the studies."

Nutty? REALLY???? Gosh, I seem to remember those vaccines being rolled out JUST in time for the big pandemic... But it surely seems that THEY just don't want this done quickly.

Have any of you seen foriegn press on how this (seafood testing) is being handled here? I feel somewhat sure that those folks overseas are laughing their a$$es off or are completely horrified!

These huge institutions seem to be good for one thing only... making money. And there ain't much money in testing fish to see if it's safe for public consumption.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
no, not seattle....they're incompetant bustards

that's one whacky bunch of individuals

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

No problem. Mine was pretty much buried. Thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I dug around some more and saw that Baddmove posted this cool video on the subject. Nice find Baddmove.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join