It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plans to Build Massive Islamic Centers Raise Concerns in Tennessee

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

They like to put their chants really really really really loud to an intolerant level sometimes.

This is especially a problem in the UK.

Interesting that. I live in a medium sized Canadian city. Where I am near downtown we have just about every world religion represented, but the only one I can ever hear making noise is the Christians ringing their bells before services.

I must admit that the Middle Eastern youth do like to play their music deafeningly loud in their expensive cars. Worse even than that segment of our youth who have the rap blaring.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Ha. I guess those are a few Muslims who can feed their children then. Sorry...couldn't resist. I suppose in some countries poverty is an issue for recent immigrants...France comes to mind.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Islam has been criticized not only by non-Muslims, but also by Muslim intellectuals, academics and activists.

So they are not all bad. There are also intellectuals, academics and activists who are Muslim. Doesn't sound that different from any other religious group in the end. Giving all the attention to a minority of troublemakers does nothing to foster understanding of the rest of the group, the majority, who are not.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Please correct me if I am wrong but this is how I understand it: No non-Muslim is allowed to worship in a mosque. Christian churches make no such restrictions. Christians can be heavily penalized for preaching to a Muslim. No such penalties exist if Muslims were to preach to Christians.
Cordoba is not so peaceful as it seems. Look at history.
Sharia law is just a step away in parts of Canada. Several wives are tolerated in Toronto, ON, but only to Muslims. Mormons in BC are prosecuted.
Figure.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SimplyGord

Several wives are tolerated in Toronto, ON,

Frankly it wouldn't bother me at all if this were true, but out of curiosity I googled that statement and nothing related came up.

Gotta ask, what are you basing that statement on? Hearsay??

I'm Canadian and I haven't heard of it.

edit to add: Mind you, there are I think 3 families of Muslim, Somalian refugees (I think) in my neighbourhood. There are about 30 kids; including several women of various ages, but only a couple of men of marriageable age that I have seen. Maybe you are right!

[edit on 8/10/2010 by wayno]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Absolutely Unbelievable !

second line

[edit on 10-8-2010 by MagicaRose]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Nevermind.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Annee]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Several months ago one of the main Imans from Toronto was quoted in Toronto media stating that Muslims in the Toronto area were openly supporting as many as four wives. I live in the Ottawa region and a radio host regularly reports on these situations. Lowell Green. CFRA radio. Ottawa. Lowell had him on his open line program to explain how it worked.
Lowell Green will be publishing a new book in October which looks as how massive immigration is re-arranging Canada.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
nevermind too.
this subject is not worth my time or anger, I can find better things to use my energy on.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by MagicaRose]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
reply to post by Annee

Take a look at my second line now, it's your mirror......

Nevermind - - I fully admit I've been on meds this week from dental surgery.

And - - mixing up posts. Sorry

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SimplyGord

Lowell Green will be publishing a new book in October which looks as how massive immigration is re-arranging Canada.

As a first(+half) generation Canadian myself I admittedly have a bias regarding the subject of immigration. I experienced at first hand the consequences of not being of English or Scottish ancestry, the two groups who truly saw themselves as being a step above everyone else; including the French in the area I was born into. My ancestry is Eastern European.

I am oriented towards acceptance of various cultures and see them as most likely enriching our existing culture; however, I am not oblivious to the problems associated with the arrival of people with extremely different backgrounds and cultures. It can be a challenge; especially in large urban centres where ghettos can develop. Those ghettos inhibit any kind of intermingling and thus inhibit understanding as well. I look forward to the discussion when the book comes out.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Regardless of your personal opinion regarding heritages it would be appreciated if you wouldn't stereotype English or Scottish, or any other ancestry as seemingly above others.

on topic: their are many conflicting opinions i have read on this thread. Also many ideas i myself have pondered over. We basically have two paths in front of us. Path 1, we remove the "problem" as some see it from our country. Path 2 we accept those who have this faith. path 2 seems more reasonable and less hostile towards our brothers and sisters on this planet. However there are inherent problems with path 2, It will not take long for extremists to take advantage on both the Islamic side and non Islamic side to cause problems. And it will only breed more distrust and division.

The reason I say it will only be a matter of time is thus, we for a fact, know there are Muslim extremist. They wish to spread Islam through fear and force. They have used Islam as a tool for oppression throughout Islam spread throughout the middle east to many other counties. a few of which are in the more recent years are considered western countries(i.e.-France and the UK).

It seems we only started to care about the problem of Muslim immigration when it starts to come to western countries but when it spread to non western countries and they were affected negatively and taken over by sharia law we could care less about others. I believe now many feel guilty for looking the other way when extremists invaded other countries and took over that they now feel a great need to bend over to accommodate Islam/Muslims. This is not the appropriate response to have unregulated immigration. our country as a whole can only handle so many people at once.

And in the condition we are in financially, socially, and religiously right now is the worst time to be accommodating to those who are not American. We ant afford the cost of unregulated immigration or the radicalization of religions. We feel our world in America is steadfast and unbreakable. But the slightest tip can topple what we hold so dear in regards to liberty, freedom, and protected rights. we have already lost many rights to extremists in regards to the patriot act.

The ultimate goal of any Islamic extremist sharia law put in place in all countries of the world, there is no question on that it is the ultimate fact. I see a lot of people in these boards comparing Muslims to other religious followers in Catholicism and Judaism. The problem with that is you cant.

Basically the Qur'an is a compilation of other religious texts, a plagiarism of sorts, and that plagiarism is considered the miracle of Islams highest prophet. If you do research you will read how the Qur'an contains texts and whole books from other religions for example Judaism in regard to the old testament for Christians it contains whole books that have some parts the same others rewritten to conform to Islamic beliefs and the will of a human being worshiped as a prophet and a miracle worker. You would think after taking all those other religions texts they would have come across a specific one stating to not have false idols or gods.

The way Islam portrays Muhammad as a sacred idol never to be commented on in a bad light is the very definition of idol worship. But again this was mostly looked over due to a certain humans will to be perceived as a god, false as that may be. The difference between Islam and past religions is that even though Christianity borrows the old testament as part of that religion it stays true to the religions texts , for the most part, in their churches teachings. The same cannot be said for followers of a plagiarized religion of which has been construed to a mans whims

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkingSleipner

Regardless of your personal opinion regarding heritages it would be appreciated if you wouldn't stereotype English or Scottish, or any other ancestry as seemingly above others.

That "opinion" is one born of experience. You cannot deny what I have lived.

As for your rant against Islam being a plagiarized piece of work, the same can be said for the stories in the bible. They also have roots in other cultures and beliefs that came before them.

If you are going to try and defend any one religion over another you are attempting the impossible. One is as faulty as the other.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Oh my Tennessee brothers and sisters are always fixated on the wrong things. I wonder if they know there is mosque over here at the local army base. They should be over there protesting right? I mean the enemy is in the gates!

Now, I'm not really worried about a baby Islamic theocracy. Why? Cause the Christians are already in charge. We will be getting that baby theocracy-a Christian one.

What makes me say this? Look at how much power the Christian right wields in this country. They are very effective at mobilizing their base to vote on issues ranging from abortion to gay marriage to evolution. The trend among them is to separate themselves from Americans in education. Most of them will send their kids to Christian schools or homeschool them. Should you be scared? Yea. What they teach is mindblowingly stupid. They are also succeeding in getting that material taught in public schools. They believe separation of church and state is a myth. Hell, you go find a book called "The Pink Swastika" which alleges all the Nazi's were gay and by extension all homosexuals are nazi's, It would be funny if there wasn't a large portion of the populace that believed that drivel. Dominionism is a nasty business.

I honestly don't get why most "freedom" loving Americans are frightened of mosques. The number of Muslims in this country isn't anywhere close enough for a takeover.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by antonia]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
Interesting that. I live in a medium sized Canadian city. Where I am near downtown we have just about every world religion represented, but the only one I can ever hear making noise is the Christians ringing their bells before services.

But that's just the Bell at noon, plus it's no language either so everyone knows it's noon, and it's nice too.

I like church bells and I am not christian.
It's just a loud ding dong ding dong

It's not super loud and very long religious prayers in arabic.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
what is the concern then? buy the parcels next door and put up a church.
or a hog farm, or an observation/ listening post.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The Daily Show weighs in. Mentions Tennessee. Sometimes there's truth in comedy.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

That "opinion" is one born of experience. You cannot deny what I have lived.

As for your rant against Islam being a plagiarized piece of work, the same can be said for the stories in the bible. They also have roots in other cultures and beliefs that came before them.

If you are going to try and defend any one religion over another you are attempting the impossible. One is as faulty as the other.

I'm not defending one religion, yes it is plagiarized. And no other religions are not plagiarized. Christianity borrows from Judaism in the old testament its basically a biblical history lesson followed by the new testament the tenants of most christian branches.

The problem with the Qur'an is that it tries to combine these two religion into one which doesn't work. For obvious reasons just as the christian branches are divided by belief so will anything based upon those same books. That is why there is so much anger between sects of Islam due to personal belief and their own interpretation of the words of god. Basically in the end they choose the man they wish to follow whose interpretation of the word they see fits their lives, that's not how religion is supposed to work. Man over our history has destroyed what was once a blessing given to spread peace. Not the hate and war we have turned it into.

You could make the argument Christianity and Judaism have borrowed from culture but not other religions, the argument of course would be very loose. However Islam and the Qur'an directly take many books from both the Hebrew and the christian bible.

By the way when those books were taken and used for the Qur'an they were changed to suit the needs of the authors, basically the word of god to two other religions has been muddled for the sake of a man. Neither of the two previous religions do so. And it is not a rant on Islam it is an explanation of what the book is, just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean you have the right to declare that I'm ranting on a topic.

p.s.- i understand your life experience and on that issue i just wanted to say it can still be offensive to paint all those people of the ancestries you mentioned as being above others. It was mostly likely the individuals upbringing and not the heritage.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by LurkingSleipner]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

basically the word of god to two other religions has been muddled for the sake of a man.........

Sorry, I didn't realize you were a literalist. You believe the bible (old and new) are literally the word of God. I can't help you or even have a discussion with you because you do not rely on reason.

If you did, you would understand that all of it has been muddled by the rather earthly needs of men -- not just Islam, but Christianity and Judaism too.

You have a rather heavy set of blinders on. You choose not to see the obvious if it interferes with your faith.

So be it. Our discussion closed.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Hmm...they are concerned that the massive islamic centers may block off some traffic to the massive christian centers?

Suck it up Tenn, freedom of religion...deal with it...there is no state religion...let them put one up.

I am waiting for the massive agnostic center to go up personally...but I think a starbucks is close enough.

Unless you've been and lived in TN then don't judge us like you think your better then us. Besides no one in TN is complaining, just Foxs News.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join