It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plans to Build Massive Islamic Centers Raise Concerns in Tennessee

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Plans to Build Massive Islamic Centers Raise Concerns in Tennessee

www.foxnews.com

At the end of the first Iraq war, the United States designated Nashville, Tenn., to be a "gateway city" for refugees fleeing their war-torn country, setting the stage for what has become, less than 20 years later, a rapidly growing Muslim population in the Volunteer State.

As the Muslim population grows and their communities spread throughout the state, religious leaders say their places of worship must do the same, spurring the construction of mosques and the massive Islamic centers that host them in several Tennessee cities, including Murfreesboro, Memphis and Antioch.

But the physic
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Surprise. Not the mosque in NYC. This one's in Tennessee.

Massive! Concerns. No, nationwide concern!!! Rally!!! Go forth and opinionate! Not surprised FoxNews* is the first of the MSM outlets taking this one viral nationwide...are you? Because of their "conservative" and "patriotic" values, I'm sure? I wouldn't pay too much credence that they are covering the facts here accurately or fairly.* Whether you do is up to you.

We created the diaspora now we're going to bitch about it. That's the American way
We hold no responsibility and we're shocked at the consequences?

Nutty country.

To balance this out...

Let the Mosques Be Built! You Have Nothing to Fear

and see this...

[rul=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread601087/pg1]Study: Build mosques to prevent Islamic radicalism[/url]

Manipulation, trends. patterns,division, fear. I have nothing more to say.

*My own opinion most recently based on the last online "news" article from Fox I checked, based on the WikiLeaks, Bradley Manning story, which was full of factual errors, I've become convinced that the people writing (or rewriting from Reuters or AP) for Fox are incompentant, underorders, overworked, overstessed, or any and all combinations thereof. What they are not is objective journalists or professionals with ethics.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/9/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Hmm...they are concerned that the massive islamic centers may block off some traffic to the massive christian centers?

Suck it up Tenn, freedom of religion...deal with it...there is no state religion...let them put one up.

I am waiting for the massive agnostic center to go up personally...but I think a starbucks is close enough.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
lol at the many many MANY HUUUGGGEEEE Christian worship centers throughout the country. I'd actually be happy to finally see some Mosques around, it only makes sense to share the land of freedom of religion with the other religions.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
well in the uk this has already happened with lots of mosques and other places of worship being constructed in cities and towns..i dont see a problem with it until somebody at said mosque starts spouting islamic extremism and our government does nothing about it

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

yes and the problems and dangers with that are huge, the problems,criminality , terror suspects ect and the islam protests against uk soldiers is the main reason that the EDL is growing and is protesting the problems these islamic colonic centres are creating and having on the UK society.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBloodRed

I guess what the "concern" factor here is is the unknown, whatever that may be to or about a particular organization or person.

We have some REALLY big centers here in GA...I may get out and photograph some and post them lol.

Sometimes I hear people say things like they look like fortresses in some upcoming war, that all that's missing is the fences and moats round them. And I can see where they might think that. Then I wonder where the HELL all that money comes from. (I guess the tax exempt status goes a long way in helping that? I'm assuming these Muslim centers are tax exempt too?)

Money that some say might better be used for charity, to feed and cloth kids, which what ironically many (but maybe not the same???) conservative Christians are opposed to having the government do. There are some very confusing mixed messages being sent that when looked at from the outside can be...well...confusing.

Taking care of your own, charity, money, perspectives, agendas. Everyone has em.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I levae for Nashville on the 30th for a couple of months (work related). I will be sure to let you know what I see.

Very interesting the responses.

America (as we knew it-is done).

Thanks for posting this.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by anon72]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkLuitzen

i agree, many people i know are involved with the edl, but i dont see the actual mosques being a problem when used correcetly by the majority, it is the minority of these people who are extremist hate mongers and the fact that the powers that be practically do nothing to stop these people creates anger among british citizens

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
We Americans are so intolerant.

We should learn from our loving and tolerant Taliban brethren.

Did anyone hear about this Afghani woman?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

She can't demonstrate against any mosques, anywhere.... forever.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

There are several places across the US that are also protesting mosques. New York, Wisconsin, California, Connecticut..... There was also a mosque closed in Germany. Just because Foxnews decided to highlight this protest does not mean it is the only one happening.

I thought the view on ATS was that the MSM was just a bunch of manipulating, money hungry idiots. I have no doubt that this story was highlighted now just to keep the "outrage" at the mosque being built in New York near ground zero. IMO, this is just another way to undermine the solidarity of the common American (no matter their religion/background/nationality) by spread fear & hate.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Surprisingly.. I kind of somewhat agree with the OP
This is a concern, but not one that you can do anything about.

However.... there should be alot of neighbourly monitoring of the noise coming from the mosque. They like to put their chants really really really really loud to an intolerant level sometimes.

This is especially a problem in the UK.

This should not at all be a problem in the U.S., they should also show zero leniency for this disturbing of the peace.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yes, it's horrible, and the Taliban and even Afghanistan discussion is a very complex one. The Taliban is now the tool the current Afghan "mafia" government and the U.S. are using to unite the tribes. Good luck trying to figure it all out. But to that end there's more on Afghan women and their plight in general (versus airspoon's specific case)and how we actually bombed them back into a darker age here.. Complex.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
If you are an American and you hold the Constitution near and dear to you heart, I seem to remember a little something about religious freedom for all.

That means everybody.

If you don't want freedom of religion for the followers of Islam , You hate what this country was founded for and you hate the Constitution.

I am a Christian and I have NO FEAR of a follower of Islam.

I am a Tennesseean, I have NO FEAR of a Mosque built in my state.

I live in Nashville, I have NO FEAR of a Islamic Center built in my city.

I am a white male, US Army veteran, and I welcome these refugees to my city,and my state. All of the refugees I have met over the last couple of decades have made good citizens of Tennessee.

Have No FEAR, these are good folks.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

If we keep an eye on radicalization and take steps to avoid it rather than encourage it (yes, encourage it by alienating and attacking), as the study linked in the OP suggests and further allow law enforcement to do their job, there is little actual danger or cause for alarm. I mean hell, they know what the atmosphere is like, and they don't need a mosque or center to meet in.

The choice is ours.

Either we create tension, strife, resentment, distrust and even hatred or we try to understand and live peacefully together.

If we choose the first path where does it end? Do we deport all the Muslims? Even the Americans? Deny Americans freedoms we all enjoy and value? What do we WANT to happen here?

If we take the second path, things might just work out better. Less damaging to all of us.

Are there potential problems both ways? Sure. But you work to avoid those, not to create more problems.

France learned that lesson after the riots there and is taking some wise steps to avoid radicalization in just the ways the study suggest.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

I so agree (I guess that's obvious) that while the other MSM may follow, FoxNews does seem to be in the forefront pushing this agenda. It seems contrary to what they claim to stand for one the one hand but exactly in step with what they claim to stand for on the other. But how they or their followers ratioinalize this in their minds is not my worry. Just goes to show that they are simply opportunists.

One of the reasons I decided to post this when I saw it is that many of the "arguments" surrounding the opposition of the NYC Islamic center counter with "but it's just this mosque is blah" and then they will deny this is a growing trend in general.

Whether they're using this argument to deflect or are really unaware that this is a trend and is happening all over doesn't much matter to me. I just thought awareness should be shed.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If this goes the way it has in the UK each family will have between six and twelve kids each and out breed the local population over a decade or two. Areas that were once nice family orientated places that you aspired to live in will be turned into ghettos. And once they have swamped that area they will spread like locusts in the same way they have here until once white orientated towns and cities have a Muslim majority.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Human rights is a serious issue in Islamic states. According to Leo Igwe, head of the Nigerian Skeptics Society, Islam is inherently opposed to human dignity, justice and equality. Human rights violations in Nigeria started after Islam was introduced in the country. Human rights violations in Islamic regimes include torture, maiming, murder, oppression of women, minors and financially backward people. Freedom of religion has no place in Sharia.[2] After the Islamic Revolution in 1979, the new Iranian regime showed hostility to human rights. Non-Muslims, who were opposed to the new regime, were often persecuted.[3] Ann Elizabeth Mayer, legal expert at the Wharton School, describing the character of Islamic regimes writes:[4]

“ They accord priority to rationalizing governmental repression, protecting and promoting social cohesion, and perpetuating traditional hierarchies in society, which means discriminatory treatment of women and non-Muslims.

Criticisms of Islam
From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

September 11, 2001 attacks killed many people. In sura 8:12, Qur'an tells to "cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve".[1]Islam has been criticized not only by non-Muslims, but also by Muslim intellectuals, academics and activists.

www.conservapedia.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Maybe some countries should have thought about this before they bombed and attempted to colonize other countries thus causing diaspora?

Also, I find your bigoted and exagrerated generalizations insulting on many levels. But that's just me.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

I've heard that same line of thinking about blacks and Hispanics too. I guess it applies to anyone except the white population eh?

I bet you wouldn't be ranting and raving if it was a southern baptist church going up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join