It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's heatwave worst in 1000 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Russia's heatwave worst in 1000 years

www.sbs.com.au

The head of weather forecaster Rosgidromet said that nothing similar had been observed in the millennium history of the Russian state, which dates back to the acceptance of Christianity by ancient Russia in the late 10th century.

"From the moment of the foundation of our country, we can say, in the last period of 1,000 years, no similar heatwave has been observed neither by ourselves nor by our ancestors," said Alexander Frolov on Monday.

"This is a completely unique phenomenon. There are no observations of this in the archives," he told a televised news conference.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
We often here about latest events being the worst in 100 years ,well the Russkies have topped it with the worst in 1000 years .
I cant help but think that the fires may be adding to the temp .
This is going to cause a lot of grief for Russia with food shortages ,smoke pollution and as Mr. Frolov says" This is a completely unique phenomenon.There are no observations of this in the archives"

www.sbs.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
They didn't track and measure things the same way we do today 1000 years ago, so I'd question the hyperbole. That being said...yes, it's hot! It's hot all over it seems? Fires do add a degree or two from what I remember from the fires down here, but not nearly as much as one would think...other than in the immediate area.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Moscow deaths double amid smog to 700 people a day

www.google.com...

MOSCOW — Deaths in Moscow have doubled to an average of 700 people a day as the Russian capital is engulfed by poisonous smog from wildfires and a sweltering heat wave, a top health official said Monday.

Average 700 people a day dying of smog related problems. That is horrific. Russian people are really suffering and I do hope this ends soon, what are the weather fronts showing I wonder.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by BANANAMONTANA]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BANANAMONTANA

And this is the figure we hear about but i suspect it is a lot higher especially if you take into account outlying areas and homeless people ,i read somewhere that the figures we here about are toned down by the KGB, i am trying to find that report.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Great point Lucidity. IMO, this has been a big problem for the Global Warming proponents.

Empirical data on surface-area temperature only goes back some 108 years. There is NO way anyone can say with ANY certainty that Russia's heat is the worst for the past 1000 yrs.

IMO, this article is fear-mongering to promote a special interest and give credibility to Global Warming. That said, I'm not saying our planet isn't experiencing a heating cycle - it obviously is - but that can ONLY be compared to 108 yrs of data - because that's all we have.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
DID THEY HAVE THERMOMETERS MORE THAN two hundred years ago?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
There may not be accurate records of weather and climate going back a thousand years but there would almost certainly be records of fires and crop damage on this scale and unusual weather patterns were noted down. Those things were recorded even in the first millenium, you can see such records in the ancient chronicles kept by the monasteries in the 6th, 7th, 8th centuries alongside notes about comets and solar eclipses and the like. Being that record keeping was that much more developed in the second millenium, I would hazard a guess that they can be reasonably sure of what they are saying even in the absence of accurate temperature recordings.

J

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by BANANAMONTANA

And this is the figure we hear about but i suspect it is a lot higher especially if you take into account outlying areas and homeless people ,i read somewhere that the figures we here about are toned down by the KGB, i am trying to find that report.

I would suspect it is quite a bit higher as well.

Many Russians own Dachas as well for farming and summer homes these are outside city limits. I can not comprehend the lack of coverage of this huge disaster. Lets hope it ends soon. =[

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by skjalddis

I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I lived in San Diego for some 10 years... Was evacuated twice because of wildfires.. I have some knowledge in this area.

This number 1 reason California fires get so out of control so quickly is in part due to the environment. But in much larger part due to human development of these areas. What happens is the natural fire burning process in these climates in hindered. So the typical and natural process of burning off brush and fire fuel in much smaller fires does not happen. Then the right combination of ingredients lead to a HUGE fire that is not controllable - mainly uncontrollable due to such a large area of material that hasn't been allowed to burn naturally.

So no, fires are not a reliable way to indicate this is all due to Global Warming. I would agree that these fires are not typical. But I believe they are not typical and so widespread because of human development combined with higher than normal temperatures (and probably, just guessing, really low humidity). Throw that in with flora that has not been cleared adding a large amount of material to quickly spread a fire and there ya go!

[edit on 9-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

New revelations suggest Moscow's record heatwave and heavy smoke from forest fires may be far deadlier than Russia has admitted so far.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
First off, who this past fall said they were going to make it not snow in Moscow?
Just a little question to peak the interest of the weather modification crowd.

Now, as another poster mentioned, the suppression of fire is NOT natural. When you attempt to suppress the fires over years and decades, the fuel continues to grow. As for Cali, they are a bunch of idiots, they do not allow anyone in most areas to NOT take out the dead trees or even the fallen trees. Idiots.

Also ANOTHER thing to consider. In Cali they had caught a few firefighters setting the fires to get work a few years back, which brings me to another possibility.

Purposeful fires being set. What happened to the group that caused that train crash, when was it, about a year ago? Also, I remember a drought when I was about 15 that was almost US wide. If fires would have started that year, the US would have had the same situation. That was about 20 years ago. Do not remember exactly when.

What I find kind of coincidental this year, we have the largest oil spill in history, now we have the largest fires in my memory and I think in at least 100 years.

Just some thoughts to get the brainstorm going. As for Global Warming, I think that little star 8 light minutes away has MAYBE just a LITTLE to do with it?

new topics

join