It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking Predicts the End of Humanity, Again

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There is a new theory that strikes against the hairs of Einsteins relativity theory.
A guy called Harava came up with it and it really does make some sense.

Here you can read about it : Link. ( ATS thread by Aquarius1 )

I was introduced to it just an hour ago. On a Dutch site.

In his theory he claims time and space are two separate things which will mean that time would not be effected, traveling at light speed.

When we are going to travel around in intergalactic space, at speeds that we can not reach right now, it will be pleasant to visit your family once you return... Well... Instead of your great grand children.

@ Silicone Synapse.

The sun will not be stable for ever...
And the Earth is hardly stable now.

Don't worry about the sun. We will have at least a billion years before it might get to hot below our feet.
To say the earth is hardly stable is quite hilarious. As the instability tends to be quite normal and stabilizability is only a concept of our imagination. We simply don't live long enough to assume that our time is how it's supposed to be all the time.

The Doctor that is responsible for the disappearance of small pox makes an even bolder claim. He says the human race will be extinct within a hundred years.

Frank Fenner sees no hope for humans ( Original article from the Australian. )

Dr. Hawking claims we will go the way of the Dodo if we don't colonize space. I agree.

More species are extinct then that there are walking the earth right now. It is a natural unavoidable certainty that we will either go extinct or evolve beyond our human self.

We live on a planet where we have become arrogant and say, we own the place, we control it... Well, IMHO we are idiots. This planet is about 12.000 KM from one side to the other in a straight line through the middle. Our Atmosphere ends about 80 km from the ground up. ( Correct me if I'm wrong.) Yet... we are only able to survive by ourselves, without the use of technology, a mere 8 km from the ground up. Even then... 8 km will kill you just like that.

How big would be the chance to find a part of space, that resembles that very small layer of biosphere for our bodies to be able to survive. An estimate ?

Space will end the human species even faster, as our history teaches us that evolution will speed up when the the environment changes. Ok. We will be humanoid for a while...

@ Ganjoa

What I don't understand is the concept that the human race needs saving.
Natural selection will determine whether or not the species survives.
Eventually, this planet will recover from the ravages and excesses the human race has subjected it to thus far.
Insistence is futile.

I agree insistence is futile. Yet mankind is capable to influence the outcome.

@ Justwokeup

To anyone who answered yes to extinction, please remove yourself from the gene pool in a quiet eco friendly way...all gone...ok.

I think I'll stay... Maybe I can invest my genes for good of the human race and spread my positive and loving characteristics.
The way we all act right now, I don't feel we deserve the the priviledge to wreck another planet.

Anyway...

It seems we are currently with more people on the planet at the same time then all of the people that lived on the earth in the past before we got to this point.

The population has been reduced to an estimate of only 2000 individuals around 70.000 years ago. A nasty virus outbreak could have wiped us of the planet.
But we survived with nothing. We did not burn fossil fuels, and we did not need everything we consume into nothingness. We only need water and food. Both will thrive when mankind has been diminished to only a few. We are everywhere we can live on the planet and there will bound to be survivors from any possible event.

We will not go extinct that easy, because we have the intelligence to create ways to make the best from a worst case scenario.

Well... as long as we will experience an event anytime soon, before there are to many species extinct.

Yes...

Currently we are in the middle of a mass extinction event. Humans are directly and indirectly responsible for the extinction of countless of species.

We have assimilated the habitat of countless of species but only a few adjust. We have emptied the seas and they are predicted to be empty withing 50 years. ( Scientists conclusions )
We have poisoned, killed, destroyed and so on and the numbers have already changed in statistics.

Lets hope it is not to late when we will finally wake up and adjust OUR ways...

There only has to be one key species for the food chain to collapse. I've read it is not going well with phytoplankton. To loose the very foundation of the food chain can't be good.

Plankton however thrives and even lives long and dies from old age since we fished the fish that eat it to a point the balance is off.

The billions of plankton corpses sinks to the bottom where bacteria start digesting them, releasing massive amounts of Co 2 in the oceans. Co 2 that replace oxygen leaving huge parts of the seas without oxygen... Death zones where nothing survives except for jellyfish.

Hmm... I wonder if jellyfish taste any good.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
We are thinking on colonizing other planets, but all planets we've been to (a total of one planets) are cold-dead.... literally. We only just came to be on this beautiful planet and lol we already want to leave? Instead of looking at ourselves and what we have here on earth we look up to the sky. Young earthlings always staring at the sky, missing the point of our existence on earth, the point of life.

I myself think there are lots of humans on lots of other planets already, for whatever reason. With time that will become common knowledge. But that's just my intuition.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Do we deserve to colonise another planet when we haven't even learnt to live on this one?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Board spaceships? Pfft.

Poor Stephen. He still hasn't grokked the mind of God. The solution is not technological prowess but psychic prowess. There is no need for a spaceship when we can use the power of our minds to teleport to other planets.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Student X

or solve the problems we created here before going to another planet to repeat the same mistakes.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Student X
There is no need for a spaceship when we can use the power of our minds to teleport to other planets.

Brilliant. How far behind is science really when they can't grasp the concept of mind?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Indeed.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
They'd better start coming up with some quantum leaps in technology. Even at light speed, which is way way beyond our capabilities, we still couldn't get to anywhere worth being.

Besides, if we went extinct, who would care? Actually, since there would be no suffering..........

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

but if we spend money on rockets, space ships, and space stations...how will we pay all those lazy ass people in this country on welfare?

They DESERVE that money...dontcha know?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

but we are already on mars?? how about under my bed steven??

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

i hear ya--what the big deal--i say lets all go extinct, or at least the ones that really want to. that my vote.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Really, if humanity is in danger and we need something to prevent the end of humanity then we already have it. It's called by many names, and the branch of science which studies it is called parapsychology.

Oh but Stephen Hawking wouldn't know anything about that, because it's a taboo science and Hawking is a respectable mainstream scientist who won't touch certain subjects with a ten-foot pole. Better to let debunkers handle it, eh Stephen?

If we really want to survive we will see to it that silly things like academic taboo and fear and professional pride don't stop us from reaching our psychic potential. We could potentially use psi to solve all our global problems. The mind-over-matter ability of a psychic humanity would eliminate the need to abandon our planet. We could clean it up with a mere thought.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Student X]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Already a post on this hours before you put it up. Try checking in future as it would stop double posts. Not hard to do

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
You know I was thinking,Stephen Hawking, is a few thousand years late on the humanity must leave the planet thingy,

That was already prophesied.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

It also amazes me when I watch Hawkings, and how his greatest question is how and why did the Universe come into existence? i feel so bad for him because the answers are all in one book. I dont think he learned about that one umongst all his other high flutent, theretical science classes in college. Why we exist is not a therory to those who have faith it is a fact read in the book of genesis, but only the wise will understand.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Look at it this way...one day our sun will die. Its going to happen. It will expand and possibly consume the earth or at least toast it. Even if we are lucky and no major asteroids or gamma rays blast us, the sun will go eventually. If we haven't found another place or means to survive then we will be extinct and no amount of "green" technology will save this planet.

We should really be looking into inflatable mini planets that could orbit our star and others. Speed isn't a problem since we have a good amount of time (hopefully) until something truly cosmic obliterates the solar system.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
how is he not dead yet? someone really needs to do something about him.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazabel51
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

i hear ya--what the big deal--i say lets all go extinct, or at least the ones that really want to. that my vote.

I guess my point is, as others have already said, our extinction is not within our control. There is a reason that physics has us pretty well tied up in a box to deal with our issues. That reason is a Creator who knows best what we need. If we would just face the real issues then the rest would fall into place.

Trying to run from our problems is pointless. Hawking is wasting what little time he has left IMO.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EFGuy

Stephen Hawking, brilliant astrophysicist and nefarious alien doomsday prophet, is again atop his soapbox preaching the end of humanity should we not board spaceships and colonize the solar system and beyond.

Originally posted by EFGuy

Here's Mr. Hawkins own words

"The human race shouldn't have all its eggs in one basket, or on one planet. Let's hope we can avoid dropping the basket until we have spread the load," he said in an interview with BigThink:

gizmodo.com...

I am really very surprised by this because not so long ago the same Stephen Hawkings, that no doubt brilliant astrophysicist, said the following about the Aliens out there.

Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking.

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on, we only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet.

I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet.

Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”

www.timesonline.co.uk...

And now he wants us Humans, and let’s face, we are no doubt a very warlike species who also did conquer and colonize other Humans due its entire history, who also do at the same time nothing else than raiding its own “nest” named Earth from all its resources in the name of unlimited greed to step in our massive spaceships as fast as possible and leave this place in order to save our species, due spreading ourselves all over the solar system and beyond.

I find that really remarkable.

In fact, if it really would go that way, his first claim would become no doubt proven right.

Just my two euro-cents.

[edit on 10/8/10 by spacevisitor]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

I remember him making that comment. Only a few months ago.

Does it really make a difference ?

He is of the opinion that we as a species will not be able to survive on earth.
Any chance of survival , is according to him, in outer space. I assume he thinks that the possibility of contact to a species that will exterminate us is still a better option then stay on earth and go the way of the Dodo anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join