It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing announces plans for "Super" Super Hornet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Boeing seems intent in keeping the pressure on LockMart and the F_35. With issues of weight and cost plauging the JSF, the company seems to be making an appeal to those with doubts about the new system.

THe "Super" Super Hornet would have

20% higher thrust
an external bomb bay that would reduce RCS by removing external hardpoints
conformational fuel tanks
IRST

After unveiling a package of radar cross-section improvements for the F-15 last year named Silent Eagle, Boeing displayed a package of new enhancements offered as options on new sales of the Super Hornet.
www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Its hard to beat a design that has stood the test of time and emerged victorious on the battle field. The Hornet and Eagle are two of the most devastating all purpose jets ever to be constructed. With little effort they can be fitted for nearly any mission. Im all for new airframe designs but if you cant create a new aircraft with as much potential devistation per dollar ration as the Hornets and Eagles, I see no reason to do anything BUT improve the Hornets and Eagles.

Nice find

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A couple of pictures, and I have to add that this idea has massive potential especially combined with waiting for the next generation of Boeing stealth fighters.

Forget the F-35 (which is now having to have a jammer pod under wing to be effective in contested airspace), go Super Bug 4.75++ and then get a better airframe from the same Boeing stable.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astr0
A couple of pictures, and I have to add that this idea has massive potential especially combined with waiting for the next generation of Boeing stealth fighters.

Forget the F-35 (which is now having to have a jammer pod under wing to be effective in contested airspace), go Super Bug 4.75++ and then get a better airframe from the same Boeing stable.

Hornet's by mandate, Tomcat's by choice! It will be weird seeing the Bug carrying a weapons pod. How many stores can be held within it?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
All that weight!?!......all that drag!!!

And people LIKE this proposal?

But then people think the Super Bug is a good airframe now so, I guess why not?

new topics

top topics

join