It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Request help identifying aircraft in video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the right place, but ats is the first place I thought of for help since there are a ton of aviation buffs here. I was just wondering if anyone could help me identify the aircraft in this video I took. It's 1080p if you want it to be. I'm guessing a lot of you guys wouldn't have any trouble identifying it. I just know nothing about aircraft as far as IDing them. The things I was googling to try to figure it out on my own would probably make you guys laugh, like "sliding canopy shark teeth propeller"

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Go try search...

P51 Mustang

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
or Douglas SBD Dauntless

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by daptb
or Douglas SBD Dauntless

en.wikipedia.org...

That's what I was thinking too, but it looked smoother than the old WW2 era Dauntless's.

I did think it was a P51 Mustang at the beginning, but once it was got closer to the camera, it definitely wasn't, unless it is some crazy variant.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by shmuu

Dear shmuu

It was not a P51 mustang but was most likely the following : from en.wikipedia.org...

Curtiss P-40 fighter aircraft of the Flying Tigers, with their iconic shark face and the 12-point sun of the Chinese Air Force.

Interesting though it had D day markings

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Yeah I noticed one of the voices on the video mentioning something about flying tigers. I didn't even finish the video the first time, kind of guessed at it when I saw it on the runway.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Go try search...

P51 Mustang

Alright, I did that. The canopy's totally different and the cowlings or whatever you call the holes below the propeller are way smaller than the aircraft in the video....and the horizontal stabilizer isn't back far enough...and mine doesn't have those things on the side of the engine....and it's a different aircraft. Thanks for your help though. You're a lot closer than I was able to get on my pwn.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The guy behind the camera (who needs to look up the definition of irony lol) says 'That's a flying Tiger Right there'...

So maybe a Curtiss P40?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
P51 Mustang

Are you sure ???

It's not an SBD either

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea1fda035aa5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea1fda035aa5.jpg[/atsimg]

AT-6 variant? edit... Some sort of T-6 texan? the ones I'm seeing have a much more streamlined bubble type canopy though.

[edit on 8/8/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Edit: Err....leaving the below here for...posterity, I guess, but gerktron01 has since demonstrated his vast knowledge of aviation history by pointing out that it is actually a T-34, not a P-40.

Original:
You guys rock! I think you're right. P40 looks right. Well, there look like there are a few differences, but that might just be because this one wasn't made in 1940.
Thanks for all your help!

Oh, and since that one was probably pretty easy for you guys, if anyone's bored and came in here for a challenge, you can guess at this one (don't need it IDed; I already know what it is).

The front gear is on the left edge of the photo, to help orient you.

Edit: Yeah, you guys got it. It's an F-18 Super Hornet, on approach to land on USS Abraham Lincoln. It's shot from the fantail, which by the way is a wonderful place to be during flight ops...as long as no one comes in short
Here's some video, if you're interested.
3 F-18 Super Hornets landing (from below): www.youtube.com...
E-2C Hawkeye landing (from below): www.youtube.com...

[edit on 8-8-2010 by shmuu]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by shmuu

Looks a lot like an F-18 Hornet

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Nope the canopies don't match neither do body shape, could be reconnaisance ? Don't think it's a warbird from WW2 as I'm pretty clued up on those, might be post WW2 ? and it's not a P40 either as the cowlings are different.

Shmuu if you're playing a "ID the aircraft" game there's already a game going and your second pic looks like the intake of an F14

[edit on 8/8/10 by Discotech]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

That second image is not an F-14, the F-14 has the intakes right on the leading edge, that is an F-18, don't know enough to say weather it's a super Hornet or not, but it's a Hornet, the intakes are quite noticeably under that sort of leading edge where the fuselage does that jutting out thing before joining the wing (the real hard core aircraft nerds are laughing at my description now I can feel it
- oh well I know what I mean).

edit: yep it's the Super Hornet, just seen the intakes of the F-18 and they are quite different, much rounder, the rectangular intake make it an F-18A super hornet (or one of the Hornets that came after the re design).

[edit on 8/8/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What we have here is a T-34 Mentor. Converted to turboprop (as seen with the crazy climb rate right after take off). Also this is a tricycle style landing gear, not tail dragger.

T-34 Mentor Wiki

[edit on 8-8-2010 by gerktron01]

[edit on 8-8-2010 by gerktron01]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
p-40 variant with no oil cooler
and no turbo

[edit on 8-8-2010 by GBP/JPY]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by gerktron01
What we have here is a T-34 Mentor. Probably converted to turboprop.

Ha! You're totally right! That's a perfect match. The P40 was just really close. Wow, I've never even heard of a Mentor before. Now how do I give someone a gold star sticker on here...

Edit: I knew I came to the right place. Thanks again, everyone! Oh, and I think Discotech has gone a step further and found the exact aircraft in the post below this.

You guys are amazing.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gerktron01

It is and I think I've managed to find the exact plane that was in the video

www.primeportal.net...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gerktron01
What we have here is a T-34 Mentor. Converted to turboprop (as seen with the crazy climb rate right after take off).

I agree. After searching for similar planes to T-6, I was going to say it was a T-34c! You beat me to it, so I'm adding my vote for T-34 and friends.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
reply to post by gerktron01

It is and I think I've managed to find the exact plane that was in the video

www.primeportal.net...

Hmmm...the paint job on the tail looks different but that could be changed. Very similar though.

new topics

top topics

join