It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odierno: Troops staying in Iraq to prevent foreign interference‎

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by David_Reale

He did pull some troops from Iraq, but then he sent them to Afghanistan.
so it was considered a near miss

like that old prison joke about how on chistmas day the warden told the prisoners that they would be getting a change of underwear..
the first in a whole year...

so finally the day arrives and the prisoners where all lined up in the yard waiting for the big event and the warden comes out and makes the big announcement...

prisoner1 you change with prisoner 2
prisoner 2 you change with prisoner 3
prisoner 3....

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Yeah, it's pretty sick. But then again, I guess that's politics for you.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Oh geez. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

This world is nuts. And so are half the people. They are sooo scared Iran is moving in. And they will. Massive muck up, but who didn't see this coming. We're never leaving there.

yep classic doublespeak

Of course not. We didn't build the world's largest "embassy" just to turn it over to a bunch of towel-heads! Regardless that we built it in the land of towel-heads ...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by David_Reale
I wonder what happened to Obama's promise to pull the troops out of Iraq. Oh, well, the election's over, no point in keeping your promises.

Good point. In the foreign-policy debate with McCain, he said clearly he would take troops out of Iraq and move them to Afghanistan.

That means they have to come out of Iraq. If he doesn't he is breaking that campaign promise.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pthena
. . .I'm not one who condemns suicides to hell. I can imagine scenarios in which it is more honorable than following destructive orders which are self destructive any way. Emotional wreckage doesn't lead to creative solutions of "getting out". Sometimes only one way seems possible. It would be good for people to offer better alternatives.
(edited by me)
Isn't there some good stories about troops going "native"?
I realize "Apocalypse Now" is loosely based on "The Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad, which I own a copy of, but isn't there some sort of story, like a tribe of Afghanistan was descended from Alexander's troops who stayed? (read "Flashman" by George MacDonald Fraser)
How about if the troops in country who are contemplating suicide get together and run over to the Taliban and declare their desire to convert and live there? Most likely you would see the "Apocalypse Now" scenario work out where an air raid destroys every living thing in a two mile radius so no word gets out that such a thing ever happened.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by jmdewey60]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60
Just prior to the beginning of US bombing of Kabul, I found a movie at my local video rental,
The Beast

is a 1988 Columbia Pictures war film directed by Kevin Reynolds and based on a William Mastrosimone play entitled Nanawatai. The plot concerns a Soviet T-62 tank lost during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

The tank commander sets the driver up as a booby-trap for the mujahideen. The driver ends up helping take out the tank.

I do wonder what those two Navy personnel were up to when they left the base without orders or telling any one what they were up to. They were found dead. I probably should just leave it at "wonder" because of the stigma attached.

see also

Anabasis by Xenophon
Xenophon accompanied the Ten Thousand, a large army of Greek mercenaries hired by Cyrus the Younger, who intended to seize the throne of Persia from his brother, Artaxerxes II. Though Cyrus' mixed army fought to a tactical victory at Cunaxa in Babylon (401 BC), Cyrus himself was killed in the battle, rendering the actions of the Greeks irrelevant and the expedition a failure.

Stranded deep in enemy territory, the Spartan general Clearchus and the other Greek senior officers were subsequently killed or captured by treachery on the part of the Persian satrap Tissaphernes. Xenophon, one of three remaining leaders elected by the soldiers, played an instrumental role in encouraging the Greek army of 10,000 to march north across foodless deserts and snow-filled mountain passes towards the Black Sea and the comparative security of its Greek shoreline cities. Now abandoned in northern Mesopotamia, without supplies other than what they could obtain by force or diplomacy, the 10,000 had to fight their way northwards through Corduene and Armenia, making ad hoc decisions about their leadership, tactics, provender and destiny, while the King's army and hostile natives constantly barred their way and attacked their flanks.

Not all wars are the same. There were times when population pressures led to crossing borders and breaking down walls. Peace treaties actually led to the assimilation into the invaded peoples of the invaders.

Fiercely held and cherished ethnic identities tend to keep people separate from each other in perpetuity. I just heard last night on the radio that Mongolia is adopting Nazi symbols and mannerisms as a defense against Han Chinese assimilation. I'm at a loss as to whether a judgment call is appropriate or not.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join