It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic inflation, black holes, and the universe...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is something I've been thinking about for a while. It may be totally off the wall, but the idea nevertheless makes me wonder and to me at least, makes a great deal of sense.

It is believed cosmic inflation (the expansion of the universe at ever increasing speeds) is caused by dark-energy which we know very little about.

Black holes are inescapable regions of space, caused by the core collapse of supermassive stars. They have been shown to merge with other black holes. It is believed all galaxies have a supermassive black hole at their center, and that galaxy mergers happen in the sense that the supermassive black hole in the center of one will merge with the supermassive black hole in the center of the other galaxy.

At this time, it is believed the universe will continue to expand until all the matter in the universe is extremely isolated. Again, this hinges upon the notion of dark energy counter-acting against the force of gravity, causing the universe to continually expand.

The idea I've been toying with is, what if the dark energy in the universe effectively "runs out?" Think of it like an average star running out of its source of energy, hydrogen fuel which then triggers instability.

If in trillions upon trillions of years this supposed dark energy is used up, wouldn't all the black holes and galaxies slowly begin to merge together? Over an enormous amount of time, what if everything coalesces together into a singularity? What does this sound like? The big bang, and beginning of our universe.

What if eventually, all matter compacts into another singularity, triggering another "big bang" or theorized "white hole" and re-creates the universe all over again, somehow creating dark energy once more and triggering another chapter in our universe?

I know this is somewhat convoluted, and I certainly didn't explain it all that eloquently, but this is something I've been toying with making sense of in my mind, and I'm just sharing my thoughts with everyone here.

Also, I'm not sure if this exists in any form as theory; if it has, I don't recall reading it would love to hear about it.

If this is totally off the wall, feel free to tell me.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaosinEngaged

Sorry if you haven't heard but most of this has been suggested before.

There are only a few differences between what you say and what has been suggested.It doesn't involve the dark energy because of the other point I am gonna get to.

Well it goes on to say that the big bang singularity was an actual singularity containing all the mass in the universe.

This singularity exploded because of an imbalance of gravity and the other 3 forces.

AS you may probably do know gravity is said to be a depression in spacetime. This depression is caused by mass.

Now as you said black holes can merge.

It goes on to say that the dark energy is just the explosive wave after the bang that caused the universe.

Now since black holes merge it then says all the black holes contain all the mass, and energy, in the universe.

You may know that a black hole also takes in spacetime itself.

Because of this a black hole containing all the mass in the universe would instantly explode because of the infinite curvature of spacetime it would have.

i.e. It would create an imbalance of gravity and start the process all over again.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaosinEngaged

What if eventually, all matter compacts into another singularity, triggering another "big bang" or theorized "white hole" and re-creates the universe all over again, somehow creating dark energy once more and triggering another chapter in our universe?

This is referred to as "The Big Crunch"

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 8-8-2010 by DerbyCityLights]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Ahh, alright thanks.

Yeah I haven't read about that before. I was more or less just applying different concepts together in my mind, and that's what I came up with.

Thanks for posting that, though.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Sounds like The Oscillating Universe Theory which seems plausible but according to the Big Bang theory space-time didn't exist before the big bang, therefore there couldn't of been a previously collapsed universe to create the singularity needed to create the big bang.

The multiverse theory could get around the origin of the big bang but then we'd have to explain their origins too.

S+F for an interesting read

top topics

join