It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Commandments of the Native Americans

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Very thought-provoking commandments. We should all try to live by them, and be better off for it.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Beautiful - but I would like to say this.

Native Americans were bloodthirsty and killing each others' tribes while reciting this.

So they were just as hypocritical as everyone else.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Wise, yes. Peaceful, yes. Better than the Christian Commandments, only by about a thousand fold.

But Native American? I doubt it. If anyone can dig up any sources attributing these commandments to historical Native American beliefs, please do so.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
i don't understand why I have to rise and retire with the sun. I am a creature of the night.

2nd line

We really only need one commandment

LOVE ONE ANOTHER

if we do so, we can't pollute the earth.
All commandments arise out of this.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by hadriana]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Native Americans were bloodthirsty and killing each others' tribes while reciting this.

While I am sure there were some ,there were many tribes that lived in peace .

OP thank you for this post,and to the others , thanks for adding .
Both of my grand parents were native . Malecite,
and Mi'kmaq .A tidbit ...There seems to be no record of the natives ever ceding land to the crown in Atlantic Canada .....peace to all

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
reply to post by catwhoknows

While I am sure there were some ,there were many tribes that lived in peace .

OP thank you for this post,and to the others , thanks for adding .
Both of my grand parents were native . Malecite,
and Mi'kmaq .A tidbit ...There seems to be no record of the natives ever ceding land to the crown in Atlantic Canada .....peace to all

Who doesn't do this?
Honestly who the hell does not do this?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I've visited the Black Hills for many years and have some Lakota friends.
I've read literature from other tribes since I was a kid, but don't remember
ever seeing the "Ten Commandments" thing till I saw it on a poster in a
new-age book store. I think some marketing jerkoff invented it.

I do remember seeing a plaque in a reservation school many years ago.
The saying was attributed to a Lakota elder. It said:
"You will become what you do. Then, when that has happened, you will do what you've become. It is that simple."

I love the Lakota culture. Crazy Horse was the coolest s.o.b. that ever lived.
He would ride full gallop into the soldiers' rifle salvos and was never hit by a single bullet. He was protected.
We're talking BIG medicine.
That's where the sissy Kevin Costner got the idea for his scene in 'Dances With Wolves', where he rode past the confederates firing line.
Sacrilige!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Thats realy cool I have a attraction to Native American culture. Although I think I am completly European.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. As I get older, I grow closer to my Native American heritage. Even if it is not truly Native American, it does touch the sentiment of many of the tribes, especially the Souix.
May the Great Spirit watch over us, and lead us back to the right path.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
There is a bit of a myth that native Americans lived in complete harmony with nature, it's simply not true. They did many of the things we do today(but on a larger scale) they moved to an area rich in the resources they needed, used up those resources and then packed up their things and moved on...very rarely did they return to that same area.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Why am I forced to stay up in the day time?

#9 said to rise and retire with the sun.

What the hell?

How does that have anything to do with morality or ethics?

Most of them sound fine but this one I just cannot accept.

I am a night owl.

I guess that means I am evil ? No sorry.
I am a Good Guy. Who enjoys being up all night long....

Really how the hell can anyone justify #9???

How else can you stargaze?

And didn't natives do many of their ceremonies after nightfall? Ohhh busted.

I bet this was written by a non-native.

It's ridiculous how many non-natives claim to be native American and write things like this, you would be surprised.

I seriously doubt this was written by a Native. Just my opinion.

Good but if you dont like this post then leave

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Do you have any idea of how many different tribes, nations and cultures there were before the europeans came to the Americas? Some were relatively democratic, some were autocratic with a defined aristocratic hierarchy. To ascribe this to all of them is naive. Wherever there were large populations of them they impacted the earth as much as an equivalent number of euros or asians.

1. The Earth is our Mother; Care for her.
2. Honor all your relations.
3. Open your heart and soul to the Great Spirit.
4. All life is sacred; treat all beings with respect.
5. Take from the Earth what is needed and nothing more.
6. Do what needs to be done for the good of all.
7. Give constant thanks to the Great Spirit for each new day.
8. Speak the truth; but only of the good in others.
9. Follow the rhythms of nature; rise and retire with the sun.
10. Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks.

Cherokee Prayer Blessing

May the Warm Winds of Heaven

Blow softly upon your house.

May the Great Spirit

Bless all who enter there.

May your Mocassins

Make happy tracks

in many snows,

and may the Rainbow

Always touch your shoulder.

I thought those were much better commandments for living a wholesome and pure life. I truly believe that if anyone knows the true answers that we all seek it would be the Natives, whether they be the Maori the Aborigines or the Native Americans(Indians).

They have a connection to our world and what lies beyond our physical realm that we occupy.

I also thought this would be very interesting to watch as well.

I hope you enjoy.

[edit on 8/8/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Thank you for this thread.

13 years ago I went to Arizona for vacation with my friend. We booked a trip up to Sedona we were staying in Scottsdale. We stopped at an Indian Reservation for lunch.

I was amazed at the land our government gave these people to live on, it looked so "harsh" but yet beautiful in its own way.

I thought the white man sure did wrong here.

On the way back from Sedona we stopped at a shopping area where we could run in and grab a drink and sandwich if we liked. Coming out of the store a cop car came in and he went to a group of younger men and women and started like you wouldn't believe at these people telling them to get back in their truck now and to get back on the Reservation.

We watched as they got in the truck and left.

Being from the East Coast we were curious what was going on and we excused ourselves to this Officer and said we were from the East Coast and wondered why they weren't allowed at the shopping center.

What he told us was shocking to us really......he said:

They had gone into a liquor store which they know they are not allowed to, the store owner called and reported them he came to chase them back to the Reservation. He told us they are not allowed to come into town and buy liquor because they do not know how to handle it and start shooting their guns.

I was surprised to say the least that this type of thing went on in this day and age and it was the first time I really realized their are "real Indians" and they are treated this way.

I never thought or knew such things like this were in the now time so to say.... I will be the first to admit I am not the brightest.

I did some reading when I came back home. I like these people and I liked the way they value this Planet.

If I lived in that area (which I do not) I would get to know them and when TSHTF and it will I would go to them and ask for refuge.

I have much respect for them.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by observe50]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

ever wonder why the saying " early bird catches the worm " ?? i think it meant to tell u to rest and rise when the sun rises, i used to be a night owl too..but sometimes it takes the toll on you..i think much better at night..but as age catches up..this saying hits me as being " rest well and rise early"

just my thoughts

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
There is a bit of a myth that native Americans lived in complete harmony with nature, it's simply not true. They did many of the things we do today(but on a larger scale) they moved to an area rich in the resources they needed, used up those resources and then packed up their things and moved on...very rarely did they return to that same area.

in one small way you have a point, in another much bigger way, this is rediculous. sorry, mean no offense.
but don't you see a difference in pollution, from then to now>
name one thing the native americans left behind that was not biodegradable.
then i'll list harmful synthetic chemicals we leave behind.
name an area the natives clearcut all the trees.
name me a tribe that clearcut entire buffalo herds.
how about an area they fished out, or polluted to the point of killing and poisoning fish?
i could go on forever.
and yes tribes fought one another, for land, for resources, yet can't all see the difference in fighting techniques?
if the troopers carried bows and arrows the natives might have had a much better chance.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
My wife is full-blooded Navajo, and practices Navajo Way. The religion is beautiful and all about harmony. Sometimes I actually cry when reading books about it or some of the ceremonies.

Below is the prayer "As I Walk In Beauty".

As I Walk with Beauty
As I walk, as I walk
The universe is walking with me
In beauty it walks before me
In beauty it walks behind me
In beauty it walks below me
In beauty it walks above me
Beauty is on every side
As I walk, I walk with Beauty.

To achieve "beauty" you must achive balance in your life by devoting your time in the following way.
-25% - Spiritual
-25% - Work
-25% - Family
-25% - Community

I'd greatly encourage those wandering the spirtual wasteland to check out Navajo Way.

PS - I have always loved the quote attributed to Chief Seattle "You do not inherit the land from your ancestors, you borrow it from your children".

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by observe50

i spend at least 1 month out of the year on the navajo and hopi rez's.
i have friends, have been welcomed into the turtle clan.
what you speak of here is true. many navajo struggle with addiction, in places like gallop, the drunk navajo passed out in the street is a common occurance. i love these people, so don't get me wrong here.
diabetes is higher per capita than almost any group of people.
obesity runs rampant in many tribes.
these next words are not mine, but were told to me by elder nakai.
we are responsible for our own people, yet few crave the traditional, healthy ways.
for many years our warrior class sacrificed their lives to protect the tribe.
the whites gladly took theri lives.
once the strong were taken it will still be many generations before the warrior class will return.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Chief Dan Evehema's Message to Mankind I am very glad to have this time to send a message to you. We are celebrating a time in our history which is both filled with joy and sadness. I am very glad that our Hindu brothers have given us this opportunity to share these feelings with you because we know many of you are having the same troubles. We Hopi believe that the human race has passed through three different worlds and life ways since the beginning. At the end of each prior world, human life has been purified or punished by the Great Spirit "Massauu" due mainly to corruption, greed and turning away from the Great Spirit's teachings. The last great destruction was the flood which destroyed all but a few faithful ones who asked and received a permission from the Great Spirit to live with Him in this new land. The Great Spirit said, "It is up to you, if you are willing to live my poor, humble and simple life way. It is hard but if you agree to live according to my teachings and instructions, if you never lose faith in the life I shall give you, you may come and live with me." The Hopi and all who were saved from the great flood made a sacred covenant with the Great Spirit at that time. We Hopi made an oath that we will never turn away from Him. For us the Creators laws never change or break down. To the Hopi the Great Spirit is all powerful. He appeared to the first people as a man and talked with them in the beginning of this creation world. He taught us how to live, to worship, where to go and what food to carry, gave us seeds to plant and harvest. He gave us a set of sacred stone tablets into which He breathed all teachings in order to safeguard his land and life. In these stone tablets were made, instructions and prophecies and warnings. This was done with the help of a Spider woman and Her two grandsons. They were wise and powerful helpers of the Great Spirit. Before the Great Spirit went into hiding, He and Spider woman put before the leaders of the different groups of people many colors and sized of corn for them to choose their food in this world. The Hopi was the last to pick and then choose their food in this world. The Hopi then choose the smallest ear of corn. Then Massauu said, "You have shown me you are wise and humble for this reason you will be called Hopi (people of peace) and I will place in your authority all land and life to guard, protect and hold trust for Me until I return to you in later days for I am the First and the Last." This why when a Hopi is ordained into the higher religious order, the earth and all living things are placed upon his hands. He becomes a parent to all life on earth. He is entitled to advise and correct his children in whatever peaceful way he can. So we can never give up knowing that our message of peace will reach our children. Then it is together with the other spiritual leaders the destiny of our future children is placed. We are instructed to hold this world in balance within the land and the many universes with special prayers and ritual which continue to this day.

the rest of his message is in here.
cheif dan

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Excellent post just plain awesome thank you for posting this.My grandfather was Cherokee and my grandmother was Navajo so this post was really interesting to me.Thank you

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Rubbertramp now that's a name.

If you see Elder Nakai again just give him these words he shall understand .... "I am here."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join