It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyes on the Skies Over Bushehr Nuclear Reactor

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

In afew short years you'll find Lithium will fast become the new alternative to "oil". There are many other natural resources we have - ever heard of desert sand? You better believe it.

Yes, and a 'few short years' ago, I'm sure they were saying the same thing, as they likely will also be saying in a 'few short years'. Energy sources that are under development are no substitute for proven ones, suggesting that they are is merely procrastination for real alternatives to fossil fuels. Over the decades we've all heard about how all our energy problems would be solved by new technology, nothing ever materializes. It's not that they're covered up, it's generally that the technology simply isn't as good as the media hype portrays it to be. I've only heard of batteries using Lithium, which is an energy storage, and also nuclear fusion utilizing Lithium, but that's decades away, so what you're suggest is irrelevant.

As for building nuclear facilities right on top of a major fault line is complete stupitity and no amount of engineering brillance could withstand a massive big jolt and the opening of cavaties they cause.

I don't know the specifics of this nuclear plant, neither do you. However all the nuclear powerplants that I know of are designed to withstand earthquakes. Plenty of nuclear reactors have shrugged off earthquakes even those that were above design, with fairly minimal damage (e.g. Kashiwazaki-Kariwa, Onagawa). It is naive and highly ignorant to suggest that Bushehr is anything different. That's not to say it's impossible for an accident, however minor, to occur, but at the same time, it's not an accident waiting to happen, because, guess what? Engineers are not stupid.

[edit on 21/8/2010 by C0bzz]

<< 4  5  6   >>

join