It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Caught in America's legal black hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Exclusive: Caught in America's legal black hole

www.independent.co.uk

This week one of the 176 will stand trial in what is being regarded as a test of America's new willingness to confront the brutal legacy of George Bush's war on terror.

The case against Omar Khadr, a Canadian citizen and the youngest of the inmates, is emblematic of Guantanamo Bay's injustices. He is the first child to be tried for war crimes since the Nuremburg prosecutions against the Nazis after the Second World War.

Omar Khadr was captured by US forces in Afghanistan in July 2002 when he was just 15, and after interrogation in Afghanistan flown to the US naval base. He was later
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I just wanted to share this article with all of you here at ATS. By sharing this article with friends and family I hope more people will become aware of the injustices going on in Guantanamo Bay Cuba.

The outrages go far beyond the torture done to the kidnapping victims...ahhmm... excuse me....detainees, during the Bush administration. These prisoners are being charged with "war crimes" for killing U.S. soldiers who were invading Afghanistan. Yet to this day Bush and Cheney are still free men after allowing thousands of prisoners to be tortured.

Under international law, a child captured in combat should be treated as a victim rather than a combatant. The US military has accused him of killing a US soldier with a hand grenade and spying on the US

Omar Khadar has been incarcerated since his capture in 2002, at the age of 15. According to this law he should be treated as a victim, not a terrorist. This will be the first time a child has been charged with "war crimes" since the Nuremburg trials after WWII.

I hope people realize what the U.S. is doing and all of the laws they are breaking by keeping these prisoners without charging them or bringing them to trial for years.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The US has a long history of torturing people.

Let us take a look at one component.

www.scccampusnews.com...

According to a study by the U.S. Department of Justice, of the 2.2 million Americans that are currently incarcerated, 21.2 percent of them are non-violent drug offenders.

466,400 people are in prison for supposed crimes.

A crime at one time in this country was defined where their had to be someone victimized. If there is no victim, there was no crime.

Constitutionally speaking, the US has 466,400 people in prison for non crimes. I guess that would be called cruel and unusual punishment to me.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Better change the article name before the NAACP take issue with the term "legal black hole"...

This is not a one liner.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It is disgusting that a child soldier can be prosecuted for a crime, especially where there is absolutely no proof he committed the crime.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Interesting that an opinion piece is not in the Opinion category? That always sets off my alarm bells.

Also interesting it makes some of the most dangerous psychopaths on Earth sound like innocent victims. Only the most dangerous still reside there and the others were released long ago, only for some of them to go right back to Terrorist activities.

You notice he gave little description of the place. He can't. The Red Cross found no issues and the prisoners there are in better living conditions than the Soldiers are. To many have visited for that lie to float any longer. I've spoken face to face with a Soldier who was stationed there and I'm sorry, but I believe him, not this ideological fool pretending to be a Reporter and ever more disturbingly pretending to be honest.

The people left there are monsters who would kill you, your children or any other Westerner without a moments hesitation or remorse. Defending them is so vile it labels all their apologists as either insane or so brainwashed into a wild ideology they are themselves a danger to society.

Why is a UK publication schilling for extremists from an American Political Party? Liars and confidence persons at that. On top of that pretending opinion is news reporting? How sad.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Is it me or is it only Americans are crucified to torturing of individuals? Torturing is not right, in most circumstances, but the U.S. isn't the only country that wrongly tortures people. Torture done by the states is fairly mild compared to that of other nations. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyrannyispeace

What does a bunch of worthless Tweakers have to do with this topic. Are you so immersed in drugs you can't read anything without relating to it without resorting to a defense for drugs.

top topics

join