It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Madeleine McCann: Will Police Pounce On Tanner Opportunity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Something I hadn't heard about but which might be quite important in the case of the missing Madeleine McCann:

joana-morais.blogspot.com...

Today, a UK media journalist, ITV'S Keir Simmons was able to confirm with Mr. Pagarete, Robert Murat's lawyer, that he has filed a legal complaint against Jane Tanner. . . . for calumnious denunciation, . . .

Apparently Jane Tanner could face up to two years in prison for wrongly fingering Robert Murat as the man she saw carrying a young child on the night that Madeleine McCann disappeared.

The page linked above also contains excerpts from the Portugese penal code containing the relevant statutes.

Chances of conviction under this statute strike me as being pretty good. When Jane Tanner put the finger on Murat, she undoubtedly was unaware of the minefield she was walking into with the Portugese legal system. Dithering and muddling through in the time honoured way, as in the UK, suddenly seems, in Portugal, to have become a course of action fraught, not with boundless possibilities of convenient side exits through which to escape, but with real peril of immanent danger if one were to put a foot wrong.

www.mccannfiles.com...

The basis of that claim is unambiguous. Goncalo Amaral made it clear that he was unwilling to turn the full might of the investigation onto Murat unless there was evidence suggesting that he might be the famous but elusive "bundleman". Having obtained a search warrant for Robert Murat's home, in his own words:

"Before the search, we want to assure ourselves that Jane Tanner recognises him as the individual she saw on the night of the disappearance.

She unambiguously did.

Maybe that is why "bundle man", seen by Tanner or "kid carrying man" seen by the Smith family, have not come forward to say, "Aw, that was just me and my kid."

Nobody in Portugal has witnessed much of anything, especially in Prahia da Luz. Maybe the common wisdom in Portugal is to stay well clear of the police, no matter what your story might be, foul or fair.

The possiblity that Tanner may be in jeopardy is an interesting one though.

I wonder if the Portugese authorities have considered approaching Murat to see if he would cooperate with them in an offer to Tanner; an offer to drop these charges in exchange for the real lowdown on Gerry McCann's movements on 3 May, 2007.

In the film Madeleine Was Here, made by the McCanns, Jane Tanner references some table chatter on the evening featuring questions as to where Gerry was during a portion of the evening. Kate is reported by Jane to have said that he was just watching football on the television. That certainly is interesting.

This might be the opportunity the police need to crack the solidarity of the "Tapas 9" and get a more accurate picture of people's movements that fateful evening.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by ipsedixit]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
i think the parents know what happened to her. my pet theory is she died at the hands of her mother (accidentally) and the father has stepped in to cover it up. i just get this weird feeling when i see them and the father seems pretty calm and calculated. another thing that bothers me about this case is if it hadn't of been a professional middle class couple I'm sure some sort of neglect charges would of been brought against them.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Star and Flag for keeping this British Mystery Story alive

Funny thing is, I thought about the McCann case only the other day -- for the first time in months

If Tanner does jail time, I doubt it would forward things. The Spanish would be bending over backwards to ensure she was treated with kid-gloves, or the UK red-tops would make a feast of it and she'd emerge the victim, don't you suspect ?

As to what happened in Luz -- well, we should also ask, ' What happened to the evidence of foul-play right there in the McCann's apartment, as signalled by the corpse and blood dogs, Eddie and Keela ?

Sniffer dogs are used routinely by the UK police these days - to locate drugs, to find criminals, etc. They are part of the evidence tendered by police when a suspect or criminal is on trial for a variety of crimes. No lawyer cries ' Objection ! ' when members of law-enforcement outline the steps used to bring the criminal to trial. It's accepted by judges and jury that sniffer-dog Julie pointed to or exposed drugs in an apartment or car, thus justifying arrest of the suspect

So what happened to the the same 'evidence' located by Eddie and Keela, i.e., the minute blood spatters on the walls and behind the couch and the larger amounts found under floor tiles and of particular interest -- in the trunk of the car used by the McCanns, etc. ?

Eddie and Keela are reknowned world-wide and their unique talents are still keenly sought by law-enforcement world-wide - by the US, for instance. So why - despite the fact the UK police continue to rely on Eddie and Keela and other sniffer-dogs - was the evidence unearthed by these dogs pushed to the back ? When, these days, do we see the UK media OR investigators into the ongoing McCann case, putting the evidence of these dogs to the front ?

We don't. The case is damn near forgotten, apart from the occasional photo-opportunity provided the McCanns

Meanwhile, millions around the globe who followed this case intently, are left with a conundrum: Eddie and Keela unearthed what ordinarily would have been more than sufficient to place the McCanns and their associates in court

Instead, they've been elevated to 'celebrity' status. Just another of Gordon Brown's accomplishments

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

The UK police have been completely quiet about this case at least as far as expressing opinions is concerned. And rightly so, since they are a highly professional law enforcement agency.

Goncalo Amaral has let it be known that there are no major disagreements between the Portugese and British police forces concerning this case.

It is very telling that Martin Grime, the dog handler who trained Eddie and Keela, is no longer with the British police. I think he must be very appalled at the results of political interference in this case. He now works privately with his two super-dogs.

Unless Madeleine McCann's body is found, I think this case is finished, barring some sort of split among the Tapas 9, hence the title of the thread. There are too many high profile people who have lent their prestige to the cause of Kate and Gerry.

To me, one of the most damning facts of the case which raises serious suspicions about Kate and Gerry, even more disturbing in its way than the sniffer dog evidence, has been the continuing lack of any effort whatsoever, by them, to make use of the sighting by the Smith family of someone, who looked a lot like Gerry seen carrying a child who looked like Madeleine, in the streets of Prahia da Luz the night of Madeleine's disappearance.

The Smith's daughter, Aoife, is the one member of their party who got a look at the face of the man carrying the child, yet there has been no effort, that I am aware of, to get her to do an E-fit drawing.

As an artist, I have actually done one drawing for a victim in a criminal case, based on answers she gave to questions I asked her about her assailant. I know that a good artist, asking the right questions, can elicit information from a witness that might decisively rule Gerry out as the person who was seen that night, or might increase the possibility that he was in fact the one seen by the Smiths.

In the case of my own drawing I actually got a call from the police because the drawing was so like one that their own artist had put together that they thought that the victim in the case had perhaps told me something that she had not told the police. It can be done if the artist knows what to ask the witness.

That this sighting has not been fully exploited by the McCanns is very, very disturbing.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by ipsedixit]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Here is a link to the "Latest News" page at www.mccannfiles.com.

www.mccannfiles.com...

In a segment not too far down the page, entitled,

M/S Tanner takes the stage, 10 August 2010,

there is a verbatim transcript of Jane Tanner's retelling, to the Leicestershire Police, the story of her trip in the back of a truck, accompanying Portugese Police, in an effort to identify "Bundleman", the fellow she had reported seeing, carrying a child, the night Madeleine McCann disappeared.

The purpose of the surveillance vehicle was to allow Tanner to get close to Robert Murat, without him seeing her. Readers will be "delighted" to find in the tale a classic example of Portugese Police methodology. I won't tell the story here.

In their questioning of Jane Tanner, though, the Leicestershire Police department, never crowd Ms. Tanner with so much as a pertinent question and she never admits to having ID'd Murat to the Portugese.

But the worst is in the next section,

Reasons to be cheerful?, 10 August 2010

where we learn that the identification of Murat would be inadmissable in Portugese courts anyway, which means that the PJ might actually bear more legal responsibility for Murat's troubles than Tanner does.

Bottom line. It is unlikely at this point that any veils will be lifted by Jane Tanner on the numerous mysteries of May 3, 2007.

Something else to think about, from the Australian media in 2001:

www.abc.net.au...

MARK COLVIN: Overseas, a government that has gone in exactly the opposite direction, in Portugal where they've decriminalised all drug use including marijuana, coc aine, ecstasy and heroin and all their derivatives.

It has left a legal mish-mash in Europe where a border could mean the difference between imprisonment and a caution. Most members of the EU are broadly following the Netherlands and taking a more tolerant approach, but in Britain marijuana users face a five year prison sentence . . .

Portugal might be a very attractive legal environment for people who enjoy experimenting with drugs of all sorts, including that favorite of the young professional set, coc aine. People from the UK, which is apparently lagging behind the EU in liberalizing drug laws, might consider a trip to the Algarve a special treat.

No-one has accused any of the Tapas 9 of being users of drugs which are illegal in the UK. I am not doing so and I want to make that categorically clear.

Cocaine is a drug known to be a stimulant and to accompany occasional unpredictable, sometimes violent behaviour, depending on the individual using it. It has been hypothesized by Goncalo Amaral that Madeleine may have been killed, accidentally, by one of her parents.

A blue kit bag went missing from Apt.5A the day Madeleine disappeared.

Am I reaching outrageously here or is there ground for a reasonable person to wonder if the missing kit bag, the lack of recreational drug prohibitions in Portugal and the disappearance of Madeleine McCann might all be connected in some unhappy way?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by ipsedixit]

top topics

join