It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question regarding "The Matrix"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ok, before I go on;

Mods, if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move to an appropriate forum.

Now, with that out of the way I can throw my question(s) to you all.

On my way into work this evening I was sitting in traffic and was recalling some posts I have read here on ATS claiming that "The Matrix" is in fact real. That got me thinking even more about the subject.

If the matrix is a real thing, then it is just a computer program, right? How does a computer program make things tangible? For instance trees, walls...anything really. If the matrix is simulating these things, how are they tangible things that I can touch and feel. If it just computer programming, then I should be able to put my hand right through the trunk of a tree...right? Perhaps I am flawed in my thinking and I do not believe the matrix is anything but a recent trilogy of sci-fi movies but it was something i was pondering while sitting in traffic today.

Forgive my laziness for not providing any previous posts where it is claimed by some that the matrix is real...but I just got to work and wanted to get this down before a 911 call comes in and I have to leave suddenly.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Nate

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

The present fastest computer presently rivals the human brain. The processing power of the computer will exponentially be greater (in say five years), than the human brain. Think of a civilization 1000 years more advanced than we are...how bout 10,000 years...how about a million years? We can't even conceive of their technology. Are we in a Computer program? Is this the SIMMMS 21? I am starting to seriously think so, or better yet intuit so. Namaste

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
You have a misconstrued view of the Matrix.

The actual Matrix movie written and created by the Wachowski brothers stemmed from their love of eastern philosophy, buddhism, gnosticism, and especially Advaita Vedanta (end of the vedas)

These are thousands year old teachings.

Basically the Matrix is created by your own thought. A piece of consciousness is trapped within the thoughts you make.

Really there is no you ...you are part of the matrix, as is your personality, likes, dislikes, biases, gender, etc. No you, no me, no them, no us .......

This is why monks and certain Individuals go into caves for decades ..they drop all labels, mind stuff and break free from the matrix ...but breaking free means that you are no more ...personality no more, individuality no more, ....the cost to find the absolute truth is yourself.

The mind itself with its thoughts, concepts, ideas ...is the projector that projects the Matrix.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The way I understand it is if the matrix theory were true, then nothing is actually there, it is all code but it is programmed in a way so that objects appear to have density. For example in a computer game if you were to walk in to a wall you would stop going forward because the wall is programmed as a barrier.
The things we feel, like drinking a hot cup of coffee, are just code processed in our brain.. I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.. Maybe other members can elaborate on this a bit better.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Absolutely love your sig. I might need to get that on a bumper sticker.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
If the Matrix is real, things are tangible because your brain tells you it is. Like phantom pain in a missing limb, hypocondriacts developing actual smptoms of a illness they don't have, or false pregencies. This is also how placebos work, we believe the pill will work so it does. Our brains are very powerful, but we only use about 10% of it consciously. Neo's only limitation is his mind, if he can't believe he can do something he cant.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Cypher: "I know this steak does not exist. I know that when I put it into my mouth the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After 9 years? I realize ignorance is bliss."

The Matrix

Enough said!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
In my dreams every night,
I am amongst solid objects, I can smell things, feel things, interact with things, taste things,
everything that I do when Im 'awake',
there is no difference,
except i can do a few extra things, like fly/float/breathe under water, etc. lol

So how do we establish what is real?

By being able to touch, feel, smell, interact with our surroundings?
I do that everynight my body lays to rest.
Is it real?
It must be.
I can smell, taste, feel, see, move things.... right?

Im not really addressing anything that has to do with the matrix i guess..
or am i? lol
I dunno,

but,
If a computer/or a brain.. is programmed for something,
that is what it is going to experience/do.. regardless of whether it is "real" or not...

hmm, it makes sense in my head...
sorry im not getting it out... lol

also, Im not one to say "the matrix IS real" or "it is NOT"..
I dont really completely disregard it,
but i also dont take it as "the Truth!". lol
There's prolly allot of truth to it though, in certain ways..

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady

Absolutely love your sig. I might need to get that on a bumper sticker.

Sarcasm is so hard to detect when written on a message board. Not sure if you were or not, but that is where I pulled it from...a bumper sticker.

Thanks for the input guys (and gals...maybe) it was just some passing thoughts I had while sitting in traffic today. I really did not go any further into it because I got angry at the traffic and the out of state vacationers clogging my route to work...how I wished I had red lights and a siren then. LoL

Allow me to ponder these responses for a little bit and I will come back with some further thoughts.

-Nate

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Here is a thread that may help you begin to understand more about the physical plane in which you live within and the spiritual plane in which you may not see. These are 2 threads started by ATS member Unleashed68. It will help you to get the ball rolling when considering the matrix/prison planet/dungeoun/SOUL TRAP called Earth.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.belowtopsecret.com...

These are two of many this writer has created (check them and others out they got some good interesting reads)
and I figure they will again atleast help you understand the physical and spiritual connections to the matrix/prison planet/dungeoun/SOUL TRAP you are trying to understand...

There is another thread I cannot remember which 1, where the op even describes our bodies as environment suits /jail suits/ worm suits trapped in a nicely designed dungeoun designed to drain negative energy from human souls for 4th dimension beings also related to the snakes below. Where the snakes controll elite activities above ground from below (the possible source for the HOLOGRHAM 3D WE ARE IN) And many of these writtings seem to make sense with a openminded view of things. Good luck (awakening).

I attract to these types of threads because I personally view humanity trapped currently under the rulership of SATAN. And Satan trapped/captured the eternal human essence/concious whenever he tampered with EVE and ADAM, forcing humanity to be rulled over by a SNAKE/SERPENT/DRAGON since we didnt listen to GOD say avoid the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE. Accepting this that humanity is being rulled and minipulated by the fallen angel Satan then realistically it is not a far off thought to think that Satan is currently minipulating human concious to its own wants and needs. As we are perfect creations CREATED BY THE SAME ETERNAL CREATOR THAT CREATED ETERNAL ANGELS, SO WHY NOT EXCEPT OUR ETERNAL POTENTIALS AS WELL WE WERE JUST NEW AND SATAN TRICKED US EARLY. Encapsulating your eternal living soul inside a inperfect body/suit
built for a inperfect kingdom designed to cause negative emotion distribution HELL feeling of why would GOD treat us on Earth this way w/o acknowledging GOD tried to prevent us from being captured when making it clear avoid that TREE OF KNOWLEDGE WE HAD THE TREE OF LIFE IN OUR GRASP.

Hopes this hepls as well see you around

[edit on 8/8/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
You are forgetting one important clue. Anything created is flawed. A simulated reality would show flaws. Uploads, downloads, glitches, boundaries, power outages. Something like that would not be able to self-sustain.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
One more for you...

Neo: Right now we are inside a computer?
Morpheus: Is it so hard to believe? Your clothes are different [...] your hair has changed. Your appearance now is what we call "residual self image". It is the mental projection of your digital self.
Neo: This isn't real?
Morpheus: What is real? How do you define real? If you are talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, taste and see, then real is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

-The Matrix

I really couldn't make it any more simple than that.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

lol, I don't really think that is 'logic'.
Seems you are forgetting many important "clues" as you say.

You live in a flawless world do you?
Everything you listed can be found in this world.
Depending on who you talk to.

And, "not be able to self sustain"?
For real?
You are assuming that you know everything about everything based on your simple understanding of 'reality' here.

I guess it wouldnt be the matrix if everyone understood... lol

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
One more for you...

Neo: Right now we are inside a computer?
Morpheus: Is it so hard to believe? Your clothes are different [...] your hair has changed. Your appearance now is what we call "residual self image". It is the mental projection of your digital self.
Neo: This isn't real?
Morpheus: What is real? How do you define real? If you are talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, taste and see, then real is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

-The Matrix

I really couldn't make it any more simple than that.

Hell yeah man,
basically what I was trying to say about my dreams.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
One word & one line: Perception

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

oh it is logic. its mine not yours. you dont like it? tough. there is a fine line between doubt and denial. I can entertain the idea of a simulated reality all day long, and often I did, as a child. Doubt keeps you moving forward, denial stops you dead in your tracks. I guess if I want to suspend all belief I can imagine that I am a brain in a vat. yes LOL indeed......

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

LOL,
clearly you missed where I said in my first post that I dont buy into this being "the matrix". lol

Denial?
Right.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

You personally responded to my post. and so i responded back. did you expect anything less? i care not what your beliefs are. I merely stated why i believe mine.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azrael Falls
If the Matrix is real, things are tangible because your brain tells you it is. Like phantom pain in a missing limb, hypocondriacts developing actual smptoms of a illness they don't have, or false pregencies. This is also how placebos work, we believe the pill will work so it does. Our brains are very powerful, but we only use about 10% of it consciously. Neo's only limitation is his mind, if he can't believe he can do something he cant.

Oh PLEASE - that whole 10% of the brain thing is absolute nonsense.

If you're gonna defend this theory, at least use some facts.

faculty.washington.edu...

Where Did the 10% Myth Begin?

ein The 10% statement may have been started with a misquote of Albert Einstein or the misinterpretation of the work of Pierre Flourens in the 1800s. It may have been William James who wrote in 1908: "We are making use of only a small part of our possible mental and physical resources" (from The Energies of Men, p. 12). surgeon Perhaps it was the work of Karl Lashley in the 1920s and 1930s that started it. Lashley removed large areas of the cerebral cortex in rats and found that these animals could still relearn specific tasks. We now know that destruction of even small areas of the human brain can have devastating effects on behavior. That is one reason why neurosurgeons must carefully map the brain before removing brain tissue during operations for epilepsy or brain tumors: they want to make sure that essential areas of the brain are not damaged.

And this whole MATRIX nonsense, is mistranslation and pseudo-science. I'm sorry but to say that our parents and children are nothing but the figments of our projected imagination is nonsense. This whole reality is an illusion is churned out on ATS by pseudo-religious and faux-spiritualists too often.

Prove me wrong by running headfirst into a tree with your eyes closed and believing it won't hurt you... Go !

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
You guys know what "metaphors" are? lol
Not everything is to be taken so literal,
no need to get bent over such pettiness.

I tend to think of "the matrix" as a big metaphor.
Thats pretty much it.
lol, Why everyone take everything so literal.
boxed much?

what?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join