It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gasoline From Air? Plant Enzyme Used To Power Cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

THE GIST
• An agricultural enzyme can convert carbon monoxide into propane.
• The organism that produces the enzyme is usually found in the soil around the roots of nitrogen-fixing plants.
• The enzyme could eventually turn carbon dioxide into gasoline.

An enzyme found in the roots of soybeans could be the key to cars that run on air.
Vanadium nitrogenase, an enzyme that normally produces ammonia from nitrogen gas, can also convert carbon monoxide (CO), a common industrial byproduct, into propane, the blue-flamed gas found on stoves across America.
While scientists caution the research is still at an early stage, they say that this study could eventually lead to new, environmentally friendly ways to produce fuel -- and eventually gasoline -- from thin air.

Mother Nature provides again! I thought this was pretty cool and unique, and offers another potential alternative to the exclusiveness of oil for vehicles.

After isolating the plant enzyme(vanadium nitrogenase), the scientist removed the nitrogen and oxygen enzyme and filled the remaining space with CO. The vn enzyme then began to turn the CO into chains of carbon, 2-3 atoms in length. A 3 carbon chain is what propane consists of.

This new technique could be used to create new synthetic fuels. The scientists think they can modify the enzyme to produce gasoline, wow!
Cars could be powered by their own exhaust.

This enzyme has been known for sometime(20 years) and they have successfully isolated the genes which made it workable with genetic engineers and synthetic biologists.
This sounds promising to me and I hope we here more about it.
news.discovery.com...
www.disinfo.com...

spec

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
propane is just 3 co2 molecules stuck toghter?
if so then there may be a dozen ways to creat it.
humm on the other hand water is just h2o and its not so easy to seperate it so maybe i am wrong
you know taht gives me an idea we all know iron will combine with oxygen to creat rust.
But what if we took Pure h2o without any free oxygen in it will the iron now cause the oxygen to split from the hydrogen leaving the hydrogen now free??
if so we have a solution to creating hydrogen accutly many as many things will have the same effect .

[edit on 8-8-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F! I'd applaud if I could... [Hint!
]

Seriously good stuff! Amazing! WoW even!

Personal Disclosure: So freaking happy right now... you have just given me an extremely valuable amount of information in regards to this enzyme and propane etc. THANK YOU!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Gasoline From Air?

monoxide (CO), a common industrial byproduct

monoxide = air ?

a bit misleading.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Thanks for the reply xxcabier! Not sure how to answer your questions but
I am glad to see these advances encourage additional thinking. This is another reason I love ats, a good idea gets examined, built upon, and scrutinized.
I hope you elaborate further in your direction on this.

spec

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Gracias OmegaLogos! I was pretty amazed as well, and I am glad some get inspired by this stuff, so that the idea can be built on.

spec

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Just want to hope that they don't play around with the genes of this enzyme too much, we don't want mutated enzymes gobbling up all the Earths nitrogen and replacing it with propane!

If it can be done safely and perfected this could be a fantastic way to generate fuel and meet energy needs, and it feeds on noxious gasses, so good for the environment too.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Hello icepack, no argument here, perhaps they should have worded it differently, like "gas" perhaps? Tis still good news to me and restores confidence in our abilities and drive towards better energy development.

spec

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

"Mutated enzymes," sounds like material for a good sci-fi flick!

I too am excited and I look forward to the development of this discovery.
Thanks for the reply,
spec

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
find anything that has large amount of electrons and interesting chemistry you be able to turn one into another.

new topics

top topics

join