It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth may be in line of fire for strong solar ejection Sunday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Earth may be in line of fire for strong solar ejection Sunday

www.datelinezero.com

Here in Michigan, we were all treated to the first big Northern Lights show of the active solar season earlier this week. This is because Earth was smacked by solar energy. And more could well be hitting our planet today!

We are just entering the “solar max,” which could see solar activity peak in 2012.
Active sunspot region 1093 of the Sun is now rotating toward Earth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.space.com
www.newscientist.com
cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It'll be interesting (and maybe scary) to see what happens during this latest solar max. We haven't been so dependent on satellites and other tech as we are now.

But I also think it's interesting to learn how we have been very impacted by solar activity all this time. (Climate and weather patterns most notably.)

www.datelinezero.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Then this probably explains why one of my laptops got fried and why my second laptop keeps switching itself off, and why iv had this mad headache for most the day.... hmmm??

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well im not sure if il see the northern
lights here in London but il be outside with
my cameras just incase!

Just a thought, was those huge orb/ufo objects
thats was pictured by Soho orbitting the sun ever
debunked? what if they are a natural occurance just
before a solar event, like huge balls of energy or
something like that??

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
That blog post is wrong. About a lot of things. The current solar cycle is predicted to peak in 2013, not 2012, and it is predicted to be less active than average.

The last solar maximum occurred in 2001. We had plenty of satellites and "other tech" then.

Yes, a severe geomagnetic storm would be a bad thing but there is no particular reason to expect one. On the other hand, there is no reason not to but it could happen next week, next year, or not for 100 years.

It is unlikely that the minor CME which occurred yesterday will have any effect. It was not aimed directly at Earth and it was a low level event, not a "strong ejection".

[edit on 8/8/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I live in a enchanted place,where we seem to be so insignificant to other places that life seems to be but a warm breeze.I love the northern lights, but as of late they scurry by, way overhead hidden in the mist of the clouds. I like that there is no need to water.Some days can feel quite cool.Many times I need to bathe in our sun's rays to take the chill from the northerly breeze. Tonight might be my chance to jump into the car and head for darker cover of our night to gaze upon one of our wonders of this diverse eco we call home.
Our fascination with the northern lights has been a journey for me ...Until recently my best guess was that somehow the sun's reflection off the ice sheets high in the Arctic may have been the cause.
Then like maybe,Tesla, I found our Electric Universe ...I find this thing we call truth to be way too complicated without some basic facts ...Needles to say I have found more grounds for believing what I do today from this site we call ATS . Thanks for the info. peace

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
That blog post is wrong. About a lot of things. The current solar cycle is predicted to peak in 2013, not 2012, and it is predicted to be less active than average.

The last solar maximum occurred in 2001. We had plenty of satellites and "other tech" then.

I dunno ... I think we are far more dependent on things like GPS than we were even 9 years ago. For example, here in Michigan (and elsewhere) the Coast Guard has been selling off light houses. Reason being, GPS is is a standard tool now, and it didn't used to be.

2013? While they weren't sure, and debating dates from 2011 to 2015, you could be right about that. But still, the solar max has begun, right? And should be running strong right through 2012.

And according to NASA, this next solar max is said to be a big one. From an article at NASA: " If correct, the years ahead could produce a burst of solar activity second only to the historic Solar Max of 1958. "

Or did they alter that prediction of intensity since then?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

Your right about people being too reliant on
gps... my 2 sister inlaws and my own brother won't
drive anywhere without their sat nav being switched on.

Those things annoy me!!! as we always end up taking
the longest route or they send us round in circles lol!!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

As I said, a severe geomagnetic storm would be bad. I didn't mean to imply that we are less dependent on the systems which could be affected, just that we survived the last solar maximum without a lot of trouble. But GPS satellites are pretty well protected (through shielding and redundancy). While there could be temporary accuracy problems during a strong geomagnetic storm (due to increased ionization), the system would not go down.

Yes, the 2006 prediction was changed considerably in 2009.

The panel has decided that the next solar cycle will be below average in intensity, with a maximum sunspot number of 90. Given the predicted date of solar minimum and the predicted maximum intensity, solar maximum is now expected to occur in May, 2013.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It's been in the line of fire for 4.5 billion years.

Why should I worry?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by justjoemusic
... and why iv had this mad headache for most the day.... hmmm??

Ya know, I've been having headaches too. Solar energy scrambling our heads? lol

reply to post by Phage

Oh, thanks for posting that, Phage.

And it's good to know that the GPS system shouldn't go down. When I read about those lighthouses being put up for sale, I had an image in my head of all the GPS going down and all these ships running aground all over the great lakes. Yikes!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

my solution, Giant condom
that way when it does eject the earth will be protected

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man

my solution, Giant condom
that way when it does eject the earth will be protected

That's great
"ejection" ... not "ejaculation."

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Working in the satellite industry, for a major international satellite provider as a satellite engineer, let me assure you that during large solar storms, our satellites are protected.

There are shunts in the solar arrays that will divert any excess energy away from the main body of the spacecraft. All cables, electronics, batteries, thrusters, etc are shielded against EMP and CME's.

We did have a "major" solar event a couple months ago, and a few of our satellites took the brunt of it, and we came thru it just fine. The only noticeable affect we saw was some garbled telemetry, due to the ionization in the atmosphere.

There was one satellite that failed due to this storm, and the exact cause is still being investigated. It caused the satellite to become a "zombiesat" on orbit, as its communications payload remained on, but the "brains" of the spacecraft were no longer functioning..even the telemetry was empty.

That being said, with this last major solar event, which was the result of a huge CME, out of the 100's of satellites currently on orbit, we lost only 1, with no other anomalies reported by any other satellite operators.

For more information please read the following:

My employer

Zombiesat - Discovery News Article

Zombiesat - Galaxy 15 - Intelsat operated Satellite

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Well, here in London on Sunday night I was out, the clouds broke up and the skies became clear and there was no northern lights so maybe it never happened or was not strong enough for us guys in London to see....

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There have been no major events so far in this Solar Cycle. The C3.6 is only about the middle of the spectrum, so let's call it an average event, not a major one. The next level of flare is M, and the one above that is X, and we have those at EVERY Solar Max. We approach Solar Max like the typical Bell Curve, and we are at the beginning of that curve, not the peak. I'm not saying there won't be a "kill shot", but why get excited now when things are very normal for a Solar Cycle? I guess that's what happens on ATS...

[edit on 8/10/2010 by deadred]

[edit on 8/10/2010 by deadred]

top topics

join