It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 and the power of prayer.........

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i'm wondering what your opinion is about this.
the idea being, that many believe in the power of prayer? right?
so, if enough people on this planet actually look forward to, and sincerely believe that something will happen, can it actually be created out of nothingness?
and, the opposite, if enough people 'pray' against something happening, can we stop it?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What is it that the "people" are looking forward to about 2012? Some say it`s all about doom and gloom alone, others say it`s all about spiritual awakening.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by FiatLux]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

good question, and i really don't know the answer.
i'm just getting into this subject.
been doing a few google searches and have been weeding through info like this site.
alot of it, to be honest, goes right over my head.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
lol ok since u obviously believe in the bible tell me what it says.. nobody knows when the end of days are
nobody....

therefore with most ppl expexcting end of days in 2012 it cannot be on that date

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Prayer is the most powerfullest thing.

L & L.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienslayer

how do you come to this conclusion? assuming it was directed at me.
actually, i believe the bible is the greatest story book ever.
some truth, some not so truth.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Legitimate prayer experiments have already been conducted in the past in attempt to reach the truth of the matter.

Subjects used in the experiments were multitudes of true believers in their faith. The conclusion of the experiments of course proved that prayer doesn't work.

Prayer is simply just a person talking to themselves, but if doing so makes a person feel all warm and fuzzy inside and that they feel that their prayer is really a productive act, than let the person be happy with their delusion I guess.

Fact is that prayer ACHIEVES NOTHING. In addition, my own experience of being a true dedicated christian for a few decades proves the same result as these tests.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by SunIsSon]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SunIsSon

don't take this personally, but at time i wish links were provided for statements like this.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

No problem. I spent quite a bit of time reading about them a year or two ago, but never saved the links. Just Google prayer experiments and you'll find the several different experiments that were conducted.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I decided to take a quick look for you. There was a Harvard prayer experiment conducted and a quick link about it is below. I am sure this should get you started. There are many more.

www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Harvard_prayer_experiment

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think that the power of our minds/our spirits can influence the outcomes of what takes place in society, especially when you have a group of like minded inividuals fucosing on the same thing. Although there are I believe anyway certain events that are beyond our control no matter how hard we pray about a matter.

Although as Abraham showed us it is possible to make deals with God, as he pleaded for the lives of the cities of Soddom and Gamorra. I think I spelled those cities wrong.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

hey thanx for the search term, quite interesting.

harvard prayer experiment

The Harvard Prayer Experiment The study: With support from the Templeton Foundation, cardiologist Herbert Benson and his colleagues randomly assigned 1802 cardiac bypass patients to one of three conditions: * those told they may or may not be prayed for (and who weren't) * those told they may or may not be prayed for (and who were) * those told they would be prayed for (and who were) David's 1997 statement (PDF) suggesting "Why People of Faith Can Predict Null Effects in the Harvard Prayer Experiment" Templeton Foundation synopsis: "The Largest Study of Third-Party Remote Intercessory Prayer Suggests Prayer Not Effective in Reducing Complications Following Heart Surgery" American Heart Journal synopsis of the study and its results

scientific research on prayer

Did prayer lower blood pressure? The August 31, 1998 issue of Jet Magazine questioned whether prayer could lower blood pressure in high blood pressure sufferers, Again the obvious conclusion was reached. The magazine reported of a study conducted by Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. This study had over 4,000 participants over the age of 65. The study found that those who pray and attend religious services on a weekly basis, especially those between the ages of 65 and 74, had lower blood pressure than their counterparts who did not pray or attend religious services. They found that the more religious the person, particularly those who prayed or studied the Bible weekly, the lower the blood pressure. According to the study these people were forty percent less likely to have high diastolic pressure or diastolic hypertension than these were who did not attend religious services, pray, or study the Bible. Dr. David B. Larson, president of the National Institute for Health Care Research in Rockville, MD, who co-authored the study, also says that prayer can lower high blood pressure. "The at-risk population of people with illnesses, such as the elderly seem to be helped if they have faith and religious commitment." Dr. Larson states: "Faith brings a calming state which helps decrease nervousness and anxiety with coping with day to day stress."

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

The legitimate scientific studies showed NO results from prayer in the experiments. Try to stay away from biased religious sites as they are always twisting the truths.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
When I pray,it is for "Thy will be done",not "my will be done". If the world is coming to an end,so be it!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

just a sampling of my search so far.

i always, did i say always, insist on looking into both sides of the street.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Transmission Meditation may be of interest to you...

transmissionmeditation.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Ah that old chestnut.

Control of the collapsing wave function. Think of the power! I try this every time I play texas hold 'em.

If I think and believe hard enough will I get the cards I want? Excluding cards already dealt the next card is neither dead nor alive until I observe it and if I pray hard enough it'll be a rocket! Every decision every action every collapsing wave function creates new universes where prayed for outcomes both exist and do not exist. The trick is to navigate your way into the universe where your desired outcome is the observed outcome. If Maverick can do it in the film so can I!

Or should I be praying for world peace?

[edit on 8/8/10 by inkslug]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I have to disagree with you there. different prayer experiments with regard to speed of recovery from surgery have shown both a positive and negative correlation. But this is a long way from demonstrating a causal link.

It is not correct to make the statement that prayer achieves nothing, because even if prayer was shown to only have a placebo effect it would still be a real and beneficial effect, and there are many studies linking positively with people's faith and prayer in areas such as surgical recovery, cancer remission rates, recovery from paralysis, recovery from depression and other emotional conditions.

I for one am jealous of those with faith who pray. Their immune systems have an advantage over mine.

[edit on 8/8/10 by inkslug]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by inkslug

first off, my thoughts here are on numerous thoughts, many people at the same time, etc..
what you can and can't do by yourself is a different story.
i've learned to handle my depression through meditation,
that is a singular person.
maybe if many concetrated on someone who couldn't do it themselves it would work.
i also believe our minds are capable of far more than most of us use them for.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
One beneficial study of prayer was also a large eyesore for the religious. It had to do with prayer and conception. The results were published in a journal on human reproduction. The results were positive.

The problem was that the experiment was a hoax. It was never done. To the shame of the journal they spent years avoiding a retraction. The authors of the article were mum for the most part. One went to prison for an unrelated fraud.

The problem here is not that a scam was committed, but more that it appeared that the idea of prayer being beneficial was being supported.

The only studies I know of that show prayer to be beneficial are ones in which the person prays for their own benefit. Even then the benefit is no larger than the placebo effect. When prayer is used to benefit others no effect is seen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join