It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 Food Supply related events.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It was asked in another thread about stats on recent food related events and I thought I would put some links together. Higher prices seem evident but will we see more than that? Affects on 3rd world countries, many already have shortages? Affects on developed countries during tough economic times? How can we eat well for less expense? Will people cook more instead of restraunts or processed foods? Affects on small farms, higher feed costs for livestock? Would like to hear your thoughts and links to other recent food related events.

Asian rice damage.
www.businessweek.com...

Argentina crops damaged.
www.businessweek.com...

Austrailia locust infestation.
www.neatorama.com...

Austrailia crop sabotage.
www.news.com.au...

Boliva drought damages crops, kills cattle.
www.presstv.ir...

Bolivia cold front (update states 6 million fish, other aquatic life loses).
www.boliviabella.com...

Canadian prairies unable to plant 20% wheat crops due to floods.
money.canoe.ca...

Chile crop damage from recent cold spell in South America.
"and reported that a record frost had wrecked avocado, orange and lemon crops. The paper says exports of these fruits are now expected to fall by up to 40 percent"
www.aolnews.com...

EU wheat prices rise already.
www.reuters.com...

Manila crop damage includes rice, corn, fruit and vegies.
newsinfo.inquirer.net...

USA corn shortages
Commodity professionals were caught off guard Wednesday by a U.S. Department of Agriculture report showing 1 million fewer acres of corn planted this year than earlier projected, and almost 300 million fewer bushels of corn in storage.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

USA GoM oils spill kills fish and more.
www.google.ca...:1&tbo=u&ei=htheTPn7KpL6swOjw8mqCw&sa=X&oi=vi deo_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CCgQqwQwAQ

USA Mystery crop damage.
www.freshplaza.com...

Russia bans wheat exports.
news.yahoo.com...

Russia fires affect global supplies.
www.upi.com...

Russia drought may cause sugar prices to rise.
www.bloomberg.com...

"The world faces an inflationary time bomb as shortages of food threaten to push prices to fresh all-time highs.
A variety of freakish weather conditions across the world has sent the price of staples including wheat, pork, rice, orange juice, coffee, cocoa and tea to fresh highs in recent weeks."
www.independent.co.uk...

10 pages ATS links about the topic:

[edit on 8-8-2010 by quest4info]

[edit on 8-8-2010 by quest

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I've been waiting patiently for this thread to be put up. You wouldn't believe me even if I told you for a while now it was you and your thread on this subject I've been expecting for other 4 weeks now. It's fun having psi abilities and sensing the goodness in one's soul.

Good on you, for this forward step and bringing light and awareness to all. I will continue to read on member's comment's here on ATS

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

Thank you for your comments and I appreciate that you used awareness, I see a pattern of price increases for some food items and would like to see how people might be affected and can it promote change. I have compiled some bad news about food issues in my first post, but there is some good news in all this also. Some places have good crops also, and I will try to post as I find more.

Brazil record sugar crop.
www.washingtonpost.com...

USA wheat crops larger than expected.
brownfieldagnews.com...

USA record corn and soybeans(contrary to the USDA report earlier).
www.bloomberg.com...

Can we benefit from this by less globalization, and more local greenhouse and garden programs? A town that I live near started community gardens, residents can rent a large section for the year and grow many things from strawberries, corn, tomatoes and squash. This progam seems to draw retired people, people on assistance progam participate, and people who just want organic grown vegetables. Will we see more of this?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by quest4info
reply to post by DClairvoyant

Thank you for your comments and I appreciate that you used awareness, I see a pattern of price increases for some food items and would like to see how people might be affected and can it promote change. I have compiled some bad news about food issues in my first post, but there is some good news in all this also. Some places have good crops also, and I will try to post as I find more.

Brazil record sugar crop.
www.washingtonpost.com...

USA wheat crops larger than expected.
brownfieldagnews.com...

USA record corn and soybeans(contrary to the USDA report earlier).
www.bloomberg.com...

Can we benefit from this by less globalization, and more local greenhouse and garden programs? A town that I live near started community gardens, residents can rent a large section for the year and grow many things from strawberries, corn, tomatoes and squash. This progam seems to draw retired people, people on assistance progam participate, and people who just want organic grown vegetables. Will we see more of this?

Thankyou. Where I have highlighted the above quote, is it at all possible to grow Hemp farm's in those garden's?

Here is my link to further your understanding at the point I'm getting at.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yes, I would agree that hemp has tremendous benefits, and would work well in those garden plots. And to stay on the food topic, the seeds are highly nutitional.

www.nahanniriverherbs.com...

Some ways the wife and I are trying to lower food cost is using bulk stores. Quinoa, dried beans, dried fruits, whole oats, whole wheat($10 for 50lb bag), for the price of 1 can of soup at the market you could make a pot at home. Granola bars are easy to make at home and very cost effective and nutritional. Items like seeds and herbs have healing properties, can be grow realitively easy at home, yet we buy bottles of vitamins and medications.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
*Russia's worst drought in at least half a century and China's worst flooding in more than a decade are boosting some food prices. Russia's national weather center said the drought threatens sowing plans for winter grains. Wheat jumped to a 22-month high in trading in Chicago Monday, following a 38 percent jump in July that was the biggest since 1973. U.S. farmers may benefit from the higher prices.

Analysts said flooding in China may cut production of rice, cotton and pork in the world's largest producer and may hamper government efforts to keep inflation under control."

voices.washingtonpost.com...

Sorry but its really tough coming across much about record crops. I really wanna hear peoples thoughts on this issue, not worried? concerned somewhat? never thought about it? Did you invest in wheat 2 months ago(seems to be at a high)?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

3rd Seal Judgment. "A measure of wheat for a penny" (Revelation 6:6) describes the direness of the circumstances. A penny represented a day's wages for one man-- enough for one meal of wheat bread, or three meals of barley. Nothing is left for anyone else-- the people described by the New World Order as "unnecessary eaters". Vast multitudes will die.

www.whatsaiththescripture.com...

There's my contribution on the subject.

Nothing in the news along these lines surprises me anymore.

And even if not for the Bible,the signs are all around us that things are going to get a whole lot worse.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by quest4info
*Russia's worst drought in at least half a century and China's worst flooding in more than a decade are boosting some food prices. Russia's national weather center said the drought threatens sowing plans for winter grains. Wheat jumped to a 22-month high in trading in Chicago Monday, following a 38 percent jump in July that was the biggest since 1973. U.S. farmers may benefit from the higher prices.

Analysts said flooding in China may cut production of rice, cotton and pork in the world's largest producer and may hamper government efforts to keep inflation under control."

voices.washingtonpost.com...

Sorry but its really tough coming across much about record crops. I really wanna hear peoples thoughts on this issue, not worried? concerned somewhat? never thought about it? Did you invest in wheat 2 months ago(seems to be at a high)?

All my neighbouring farmer's have invested in wheat and have landed on a good profit for 2010 as last year was for the pollen season and this year acres and acres of wheat, can't be bad

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
"EPA to Crack Down on Farm Dust"

www.blacklistednews.com...

Here's another story to add to your list!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well I needed can pumpkin for my dogs gut. The store did not have any. They said the supplier lost its crops. This is FRYS a major chain. So no pumpkin.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have been waiting a long time for DCclairvoyant to respond to the OP's thread

Has anyone seen the infomercials that Obama has been putting out there
about where to find your closest food bank?
Kinda been wunderin about that,.. hmmm

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It's here.

From Michael Ruppert's CollapseNet

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Wow,.. that is kinda hard to swallow,.
I mean really? prices will skyrocket next week or so..
over the last two years of watching the topics on this site,
nothing has turned out to be as big as the thread said it was
gonna be.
Been hearing of this food shortage for some time but nothing
seems to be changing.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Been hearing of this food shortage for some time but nothing
seems to be changing.

Really

Because there have been food shortages, and food riots all around the world over the last several years.. prices have ALREADY gone up double digits over the same time period, AND the packages have gotten slightly smaller, and what they put in is slightly less!! Have you honestly not noticed any of this?

I certainly did. Peak food is like peak oil, it doesn't mean that there's none left, it means that supply can't adequately meet demand, so the price soars. We've had just small tastes of this, in both oil and food. The real crisis's are on the way.

Don't give up on this one so easily. It's still coming, and once peak EVERYTHING starts to hit, it'll be pure chaos.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Yes I have noticed a slight increase in our food bill each week
of course we do buy for Two eating machines, my wife and I,
Our bill over the last year has gone up by about $3500.
Guess we will see how bad it gets

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I have nothing to base this on except omens but I think we have longer than a week. I think we have a couple of months until food prices "skyrocket".

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I said something here out of context and have deleted the comment.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I see food inflation every month in the analysis i do for my retail grocery chain. Prices are suppressed via competition with Walmart, but product costs have been rising and we've been eating it. Major cost increase will burst this price cap as all retailers raise their prices at the same time.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I was so impressed with mr short video about food cost, that I went to Sams club and dropped $200 on bulk stuff.
Rice, flour, sugar, canned goods, and Coffee.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join