It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-gay homophobes - what country would you choose?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I just wonder, the homophobes who demonize homosexuality in Western society, what country that is currently homophobic would they choose to live in?
Zimbabwe, or Iran?
Please be specific about the laws concerning sexual identity, and what type of society you would like.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by halfoldman]

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
to answer your question first- i choose America.

secondly- why is it that if someone is not gay they are automatically phobic?

there are as many legitimate reasons to NOT be gay as there are TO be

i guess tolerance is a one-way street?

and what if it isn't their sexuality which i find as perverse as 'sanctified narcissism"?

what country did you choose?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Not homophobic, but if I was I'd go for the USA as well, San Francisco perhaps, maybe try to educate myself... if not then somewhere deep in the bible-belt, perhaps with the Phelps family.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

Not homophobic, but if I was I'd go for the USA as well, San Francisco perhaps, maybe try to educate myself... if not then somewhere deep in the bible-belt, perhaps with the Phelps family.

i live north of san francisco and i'll tell you it's played out. everyone is either RAVINGLY gay or- i hate to agree with the OP, but...- overtly homo-hating. if you were gay and wanted to be 'happy' (ahem) youd want to move to a small town with a high gay population- like Bisbee Arizona. yuo'd get a lot more attention.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Could I ask that only people interested in the topic reply?
The mods will decide in any case whether the topic stays, goes, or is moved.
Professional topic/thread-killers - please don't tell me it's been done, or use those sub-troll posts to intimidate me.
All on-topic posts are welcome.

I would argue that Enlightenment thinking actually came from the Christian religion, and we owe our Western human rights to Christianity.
If this is not so, then why do we not find post-Enlightenment personal, gender, religious, or gay rights in Muslim countries (for example)?
However, there is a sentiment in Christianity to become prescriptive and fundamentalist.
Exactly what does it prescribe?
Should gays be stoned?
In that case, what is its difference from radical Islam?

Fundamentalists are telling us at once that our sociey is better and more free, but really it should also go back to pre-revolution France.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

From what I see on ATS, I'd still stick to the US if I had a problem with gays.

Line 2

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
edit wrong thread

[edit on 8-8-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Apologies- my second post I wrote before replies, so it is not a addressed to people who replied.
Thank you, for great replies so far.

To rephrase clearly: Is there a difference between Western homophobia (sexism), and Oriental (sexism) Homopbobia?

Well, if women's rights aren't secure...?

Or am I being neo-colonialist?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Homophobes often ask: If being gay is legal, then what next?
(As if gay rights means sex with animals and chidren next.)
But I ask the more restricitve way: if they ban homosexuality, what will they ban next?
Maybe they'll ban all adult choice?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

From what I see on ATS, I'd still stick to the US if I had a problem with gays.

Line 2

Are you saying here that US homophobia is somehow more "humane" homophobia?
Are there degrees of sexism, racism and homophobia?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

There is no such thing as homophobia! It is a made up term by two gay men who wrote a book and included the word in their book. Even they have been quoted as being surprised as to how this term they made up has taken off.
There is ABSOLUTELY no medical basis for it.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Are you saying here that US homophobia is somehow more "humane" homophobia?
Are there degrees of sexism, racism and homophobia?

I'm just amazed how so many here can diagnose a phobia as much as they tend to use the phrase. I really dislike a friend’s lifestyle of infidelity so I must have a phobia of it, and as you can see it sounds odd when used like I did. In the case with gays it seems to represent the position that anyone who disagrees with their lifestyle is either insane or has a phobia since any normal person would not have any issues…powerful propaganda

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What is noticeable:
- "Gay rights" are perceived as "Western", and as an immoral import.
- Gay people are attacked as "symbols" of Western degenerate "freedom".
- Homophobia is political, and a former non-issue is now an issue.

That is the case in Zimbabwe.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I am not homophobic nor am I anti-gay!

But I am personally tired of homosexuals and their quest for special treatment!

I am tired of homosexuals wearing their sexual orientation on the outside of their clothes!

Its always; Hi my name is John, and I am homosexual!

Why do I care? Why do I need to know that?

I never present myself with: Hi my names is Anders, and I am a heterosexual!

Now this is not stereotyping, I have only ever met 1 homosexual that didn't present himself in such a way! I learned about his homosexuality later on!

Where am I going with this rant?

Don't know, but it was nice to get it out in the open.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rick1

Could you reference the book, sounds interesting

I'd say homophobia does exist.
Firstly lets define it?

But what is western homophobia compared to other (non-Western)homophobia?
Is there anybody who would really like all homsosexual people removed from society?

It seems to me a whole bunch of people are finding out for the first that they Can be Homophobic - and what a convenient excuse to run a shabby country!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I have a question OP, why are you so worked up about it?

It seems to me that people who use the word "homophobes" are pretty "phobic" about scary, one minded homophobes.

I'd even go as far to say that I've heard pro-gay people be JUST as offensive and mean when talking about homophobes.

With you not understanding why they can think that way and getting mad, you don't realize that people don't understand why you think the way you do too.

Like a previous poster said, I guess it's a one way street?

I think homophobes, and people who are phobic about homophobes, are a VERY small percentage of the population, and get kicks by trolling each other and trying to split America apart even further.

Get over yourself, just because MAYBE 10% of Americans hate gays, doesn't mean that you should go around and try to stir up hate for them.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

You can't solve hate with hate.

And to answer your question, I'm not a homophobe, so I can't answer the question.

However I think many would say America.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Jeanius]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Zimbabwe and Iran are some of the worst countries when it comes to human rights! And you are worrying about them being homophobic?

Personally I think its egoistical to be a homosexual.
While I believe that from nature, we all all semi-bisexual! And most have had a homosexual experience as a kid! It is not sustainable for a community to have people who are dedicated homosexuals, for the simple reason; that they do not produce offspring. And we all know, that we need 2.1 kid per family to be able to sustain ourselves in the future!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Alright, homophobia is the focused hatred toward homosexual people.
It is rarely seen as a symptom on its own, but usually accompanies other phobias. A phobia against women and femininity is usually concurrent with it.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

"Are you saying here that US homophobia is somehow more "humane" homophobia?"

I suppose thatit could be a known quantity and there is a great deal of understanding of the anti agy nuance and culture. For example there are countries where hetero sexual men hold hands (ughh).

"Are there degrees of sexism, racism and homophobia?" well of course they are most of us adults over the age of forty are still deprogramming ourselves from our upbrinings.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

"Are you saying here that US homophobia is somehow more "humane" homophobia?"

I suppose thatit could be a known quantity and there is a great deal of understanding of the anti agy nuance and culture. For example there are countries where hetero sexual men hold hands (ughh).

"Are there degrees of sexism, racism and homophobia?" well of course they are most of us adults over the age of forty are still deprogramming ourselves from our upbrinings.

Why are countries where men hold hands "ughh"?
In countries like the US men play contact sports like football and others, rugby?

Here, only the context differs: men touching, and kissing (soccer) from a homosexual act?
Homophobia also means a fear or revulsion of the same sex.
So some men don't like other men touching them.
But in many cultures, in some contexts - that phobia or revulsion is lifted, and even encouraged as fiercely "heterosexual".
So homophobia is political and cultural.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join