It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Global warming is just a way for people to make money and control people. If you think about it, it doesn't make any sense at all. The earth naturaly changes tempature. The earth used to be a big ball of ice. However, it has been slowly warming over a long period of time. So, what caused the "glabl warming" then????? It certainly wasn't us. The earth is still slowly warming and probably will continue to since it has been going through this stage for so long.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
What are you all talking about, of course it's mans fault that mars is warming up. look at the amount of crap we put on the surface!

Just kidding of course.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
thank you every body for your posts i am a bit calmer now and not feeling so sarcastic

i think this huge subject that we have not even scrached the surface of

with so many things that could contrabute to global warming it is totaly rubbish

to blame it on c02 thing like the planets should be reserched totaly and our own weather going back thru the centurys but there is just so much that could be causing it i dont know if we will ever find out totaly

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
all those alien "Greys" with their gas guzzling UFO polluting mars with there CO2 make me sick. o wait, UFOs are not real and man made global warming is a hoax. case closed.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by digby888

with so many things that could contrabute to global warming it is totaly rubbish

Let me ask you something - do you think maybe it's possible that the scientists have indeed "scratched the surface" of this subject, and in fact the problem is that YOU are simply the one who hasn't scratched the surface of the science?

I am so tired of reading all these posts claiming how arrogant it is of all the scientists to think they know everything when it is actually completely arrogant of all of you to think you know everything about the scientists.

Because the fact is the scientists have been investigating all the different possibilities: I mean where did you get the information for this thread from - did you go to Mars yourself with a thermometer?

So obviously they are aware of these things now aren't they?

But if you had bothered to do your homework, instead of just jumping to conclusions based on some headline - you might've done a bit of googling and found that NO, not "all" the planets are warming up - and the few that are have their own explanations that have nothing to do with what's happening here.

The same goes for all the other mundane explanations people arrogantly think they've come up with on their own in spite of all the science. Everyday this board is filled with the same old useless comments about "oh I think it's a natural cycle", or "oh why hasn't anyone considered the Sun?"

Do you seriously think they haven't????

If you guys would just do some damn research for once instead of coming on this board every day to congratulate each other on how much smarter you are than all those arrogant scientists you might see that they have. They have studied it over and over again.

And over and over again they keep finding overwhelming evidence pointing to the conclusion that NO it's not because of the Sun, and NO it's not just part of some natural cycle.

All of these things are of course factored in to the bigger picture - but far and away all the best models, observations, theories we have continue to show that YES we are the ones causing the majority of the warming and YES if we don't seriously start to pull our heads out of our asses this is going to get a helluva lot worse.

(and PS - by "do some research" I mean read the actual science - not all the lying "skeptical" blogs put out by oil companies and neocons to deliberately skew the science and make you all confused and full of doubt about a subject that is blatantly happening right in front of your face)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
all those alien "Greys" with their gas guzzling UFO polluting mars with there CO2 make me sick. o wait, UFOs are not real and man made global warming is a hoax. case closed.

Clever joke, never heard that one before... O wait I have:

Case closed my butt.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

Let me ask you something - do you think maybe it's possible that the scientists have indeed "scratched the surface" of this subject, and in fact the problem is that YOU are simply the one who hasn't scratched the surface of the science?

I am so tired of reading all these posts claiming how arrogant it is of all the scientists to think they know everything when it is actually completely arrogant of all of you to think you know everything about the scientists.

Because the fact is the scientists have been investigating all the different possibilities: I mean where did you get the information for this thread from - did you go to Mars yourself with a thermometer?

But if you had bothered to do your homework, instead of just jumping to conclusions based on some headline - you might've done a bit of googling and found that NO, not "all" the planets are warming up - and the few that are have their own explanations that have nothing to do with what's happening here.

The same goes for all the other mundane explanations people arrogantly think they've come up with on their own in spite of all the science. Everyday this board is filled with the same old useless comments about "oh I think it's a natural cycle", or "oh why hasn't anyone considered the Sun?"

If you guys would just do some damn research for once instead of coming on this board every day to congratulate each other on how much smarter you are than all those arrogant scientists you might see that they have. They have studied it over and over again.

And over and over again they keep finding overwhelming evidence pointing to the conclusion that NO it's not because of the Sun, and NO it's not just part of some natural cycle.

All of these things are of course factored in to the bigger picture - but far and away all the best models, observations, theories we have continue to show that YES we are the ones causing the majority of the warming and YES if we don't seriously start to pull our heads out of our asses this is going to get a helluva lot worse.

(and PS - by "do some research" I mean read the actual science - not all the lying "skeptical" blogs put out by oil companies and neocons to deliberately skew the science and make you all confused and full of doubt about a subject that is blatantly happening right in front of your face)
so if this is the case and these great scientists know everything about it why o why dont they all agree
that its c02 that is doing it

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Temperature changes due to long term (multi centenial) changes in Mars' orbit has no bearing on relatively short term (decadal) changes in climate on Earth. Besides, if it's 'the sun wot done it' then Mars (and Earth) should be cooling as the sun is in a period of reduced activity. Ooops.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

]so if this is the case and these great scientists know everything about it why o why dont they all agree

Because it's not just CO2 that's doing it
There are numerous other human activities that are causing warming. And there are also natural factors leading to warming/cooling which complicate the issue.

I suggest reading the science not the tabloid press/tabloid blogs

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

]so if this is the case and these great scientists know everything about it why o why dont they all agree

Because it's not just CO2 that's doing it
There are numerous other human activities that are causing warming. And there are also natural factors leading to warming/cooling which complicate the issue.

I suggest reading the science not the tabloid press/tabloid blogs

This is exactly it. The complexity with which reality works is far beyond our ability to fully understand. Especially when it comes to things like meteorology and other atmospheric sciences. There is no single "formula" for what the atmosphere "should" be like, because not only does that change over time, but it changes over geographical distances.

The hubris with which humanity approaches things scientific in nature is baffling to me. Believing you have it all figured out is laughable. But to actually begin tinkering is the work of insanity.

Certainly CO2 has some effect, as does methane. Certainly man creates lots of both. Certainly man keeps cutting down forests, preventing the conversion of the abundant CO2 (this is often overlooked in the tax credit scheme, strangely enough). But this is only 1 aspect out of dozens that impact the Earths temperature (which, as history shows, is anything but hospitable and stable, despite the recent meteorological paradise we have been in over the last 75 years).

But, like i said, the mercury in the fish will kill me long, long before the CO2 will. Why do we not fix THAT first? How about the pharmaceuticals? Is it really normal to have our 10 year olds growing beards and boobs?

There is so much more. But none of that has a tax scheme associated with it.

Taxes bring the opposite of liberty. And liberty has already been waning. We have to put a stop to it somewhere.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

so if this is the case and these great scientists know everything about it why o why dont they all agree

Well, apart from the fact that there are also factors at work as Essan just pointed out - if you're asking why don't they all agree that humans are the main cause of the current warming - the answer is:

They do agree.

Obviously there are going to be some rogue opinions like that of the Russian scientist in the National Geographic article, but the idea that there is no overall scientific consensus on manmade global warming is a total lie.

I mean go back and read the article you posted and look at page 2 to see what other scientists say about the Russian's theories:

"His views are completely at odds with the mainstream scientific opinion," said Colin Wilson, a planetary physicist at England's Oxford University.

Amato Evan, a climate scientist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, added that "the idea just isn't supported by the theory or by the observations."

So yeah, you're always going to have some people that disagree with the consensus opinion, no matter how well-founded that opinion is. I'll give you another great example:

Roy Spencer is a legitimate PhD who is one of the most well known global warming skeptics out there. He has the academic credentials and the experience to back himself up, so I guess that makes him a qualified scientist. But does that mean his opinion automatically outranks all the other qualified scientists who disagree with him? If that's the case then I guess evolution is a hoax too - because Dr. Spencer also has serious doubts about that.

So you see what I mean? You can't get tripped up by cherry-picked details when it comes to this issue - because there are people out there who are purposely manipulating your opinion by focusing on those distorted little details, when the bigger picture and the whole story says the science at this point is overwhelmingly conclusive.

This report from last year found that 97% of active publishing climate scientists agree with man-made global warming. Here you can read a laundry list of all the national academies, scientific organizations, famous scientists, etc who have backed this claim up.

So yeah - take your pick: go with the 97 out of 100 established scientists who say it's real, or go with the other 3% who say it's a hoax, don't believe in evolution, and have a notorious tendency to collect their paychecks from companies like ExxonMobil.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

I think Aliens are cooperating to it... they want to exile Us from earth so they can parasite and invade our planet... if I am right everyone who thinks I am stupid owes me a sorry... we'll see that. I was abducted before. They told me their plans... trust me...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

But, like i said, the mercury in the fish will kill me long, long before the CO2 will. Why do we not fix THAT first? How about the pharmaceuticals? Is it really normal to have our 10 year olds growing beards and boobs?

And the burning of rainforests kills far more people than CO2 ever will .... yet also produces more CO2 than all the cars ever built.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Wait....wasn't there already a news special that told everyone that global warming was a hoax for certain scientists to gain more money??? I saw it on the news.
So why are we still fighting over it? I heard some guy that released documents in which there were tests done to some kind of plant or vegetable and showed that it was the cause of the atmosphere heating up, because it realesed too much CO2? Global warming is a hoax, no reason fighting over it now.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Seriously you're going to blame the sun? Global warming is caused by trapped green-house gases in the atmosphere. The more that get trapped, the warmer it gets. The scientific consensus is thus.

Speaking of other planets, it's not unlikely life did inhabit and destroy these planets before life took place here on Earth. But more likely, it is completely possible for a planet without an atmosphere to show a significant heating trend increase within a 400 year period. When you look at global warming, you don't look at concise moments, you look at overall-averages. Where over a few periods, the average heat temperature has risen. This also means, that there may include periods where it is very cold. However, the overall-average shows that the actual temperature is increasing exponentially.

Global warming is real. And those who debunk it, are the ones spreading propaganda. Not the other way around. What I'm reading here is a bunch of people playing right into their hands.

They get ya to believe their stuff ain't killing the planet so you keep buying it. Eventually people will get sick and die, those who don't will share a genetic mutation to evolve the human race further. It's what's been happening all along, except this time it's accelerated by human interaction. Thus, the average I speak about is showing a significant increase rather than it's usual.

If it wasn't for the sun we'd be dead. Don't be silly.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by signoregregorio
Seriously you're going to blame the sun? Global warming is caused by trapped green-house gases in the atmosphere. The more that get trapped, the warmer it gets. The scientific consensus is thus.

Speaking of other planets, it's not unlikely life did inhabit and destroy these planets before life took place here on Earth. But more likely, it is completely possible for a planet without an atmosphere to show a significant heating trend increase within a 400 year period. When you look at global warming, you don't look at concise moments, you look at overall-averages. Where over a few periods, the average heat temperature has risen. This also means, that there may include periods where it is very cold. However, the overall-average shows that the actual temperature is increasing exponentially.

Global warming is real. And those who debunk it, are the ones spreading propaganda. Not the other way around. What I'm reading here is a bunch of people playing right into their hands.

They get ya to believe their stuff ain't killing the planet so you keep buying it. Eventually people will get sick and die, those who don't will share a genetic mutation to evolve the human race further. It's what's been happening all along, except this time it's accelerated by human interaction. Thus, the average I speak about is showing a significant increase rather than it's usual.

If it wasn't for the sun we'd be dead. Don't be silly.

This really ignores the point: while Greenhouse Gas emissions may not help, they are not the culprit.

Read the information. Don't be silly.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared

Exactly!!!!

At least some one with some idea of what they're talking about, it was driving me insane reading this (I guess I could have stopped).

It makes these posters very incredulous when they delve into a subject they know nothing about and then claim of the possibilities, when scientific consensus says otherwise. On the subject of UFOs the jury is still out, ghosts, telepathy, ancient astronauts all still open for debate. Global warming? It's been made a theory. 90-99% accurate. The scientific community all agrees. Not one scientist, not three, not four, not a dozen, not a hundred, not a thousand. But pretty much all of them. There will always be those who challenge popular science, but in most cases they fail to deflate a theory that's stood the rigors of the scientific method.

It's just the nature of the beast.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

What information ?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by signoregregorio
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

What information ?

The OP.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
What cracks me up is that scientist have been saying for years that all the planets were heating up, not just earth. You guys even discussed it here! www.abovetopsecret.com... We will have answers very soon and you're not going to like it.......

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join