It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developing: Seoul says North Korea has seized South Korean fishing boat.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Developing: Seoul says North Korea has seized South Korean fishing boat in waters off the eastern coast.

www.foxnews.com

Breaking News and still developing.

update: S. Korean Boat Seized In Tension With North

Seoul says the North has taken one of their fishing boats in waters off the divided peninsula's eastern coast for an alleged violation of North Korea's exclusive economic zone.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/8/2010 by mythatsabigprobe]

[edit on 8/8/2010 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Seoul says North Korea has seized South Korean fishing boat in waters off the eastern coast

Nothing to add here until more news comes out of Seoul.

I believe the South Korean naval exercises are ongoing this weekend so that could put a real twist in this story if the military responds to North Korea.

Check the MSM websites for more info as the story develops...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Heard this today. I would not worry. If a war didn't start over a cruiser sinking, how would it start over a fishing boat?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I agree that this would normally be nothing, but South Korea is looking very weak in it's response to the cruiser sinking and might be forced to respond to this, just to save face. They could also just be waiting for an incident like this as a casus belli for war.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

They have plenty of justification of war by this time. But war will not happen because it is not viable and there is nothing to gain from it. N Korea has no resources, no gain, and plenty of pain after a war from China. You don't have to compete in a dick waving contest if someone challenges you to one. You can just chose to not care. Unless they actually attack or something, it's simply not worth it.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

SEOUL — A South Korean fishing vessel with seven people aboard is being held by North Korea after sailing into the North's exclusive economic waters off the east coast, the South Korean coast guard said on Sunday.

Simmering tensions between the two Koreas have risen a notch in recent days with the staging of military drills by the South off the west coast, infuriating Pyongyang which threatened "physical retaliation" for the exercise.

China's Xinhua news agency said the boat carried a crew of four South Koreans and three Chinese, which may have a bearing on North Korea's response to the latest territorial spat.

China is North Korea's only major ally and host of six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

MSNBC

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Why does South Korea need to save face? I would think saving lives is much more to a desired attitude than saving face.

Foolish pride is a killer.

My tinfoil hat is off to the South Korean leaders for not taking the bully's bait and retaliating.

Bravo.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think that the US and SK are in the middle of naval exercises or finished up by now. I know that I'm preaching to the choir here but I would have to believe that these exercises are either an attempt to provoke NK into some sort of an attack, which just happens to be our (US) favorite mode of entry into conflict, or this is a cover for...all together now...a false flag operation. It seems to me that a decision has been made to take NK down a few pegs and initiate some sort of regime change at the very least. Between this Korean business and the rhetoric surrounding Iran this is beginning to look like the start of something big. There are only a few holdouts standing in the way of a world neatly wrapped up and controlled by the banksters and their henchmen and wouldn't you know it, Iran and N Korea are the largest and most visible of holdouts. Lest we forget, they were already named by our previous president as part of an "axis of evil" (some of the younger members here might want to look that phrase up if you have any doubts about the way our government wants us to feel in regards to Iran and NK) They are also the only members of said axis that we have have not yet invaded.

STH

Before the flame, this is all hyperbole with a big IF.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by stopthathurts]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Since three Chinese were on the boat, China will seek their release and all will be fine. NK taking a ship that sailed into their waters is really not a big deal. When NK has the nads to shoot at a U.S. warship then its game on. FYI, South Korean ROK Marines are some of the toughest SOBs you would ever meet, NK is stupid for wanting to test their resolve.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I wonder how long the world is going to put up with this fat midget of a dictator before they take him out....

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
No worry, as I mention in my other post, US and SK will absorb this as "small incident", and this proves my point, NK ALWAYS finding ways to go physical and SK will absorb any incident.

On serious side - I wonder when will the SK fishermans will ever set foot on SK again ? That should be the discussion, and yeah, the American Gomez prisoner too, sympathy with him.

Everyone should thank the South Korean people for their patience .... and of course, the Wonder Girls.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by RainCloud]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Boy oh boy does NK want to start a war.
Hopefully they won't get it.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I hope the latter was sarcasm.
second line :p

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If it were me I would have ran they would have had of blown me out of the water.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

I hope the latter was sarcasm.
second line :p

No, I don't want another war in South Korea, it would drain even more out of the U.S which is already being drained by Afghanistan and Iraq.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

The United States is already at a point of no return. What is the point not using all the weapons the country has created out all the military funds?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The United States is already at a point of no return. What is the point not using all the weapons the country has created out all the military funds?

Saving people in South and North Korea from dying? Stopping a potential world war 3 scenario?
I didn't know people need a reason NOT to use military weapons.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Well WW3 is on it's way whether you like it or not! It's not only North Korea that the U.S. want's to attack. It is Iran and many other nations.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Well WW3 is on it's way whether you like it or not! It's not only North Korea that the U.S. want's to attack. It is Iran and many other nations.

Oh ok, so let's speed it up and get more deaths faster?
God, the armchair general war mongering on ATS is getting worse than I thought.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

When you look at war you see death. When I look at war I see it as a matter of life and death.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join