It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran sanctions cripple ageing military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
is it just me or does this sound like proppaganda what i mean is this sort of news trying to tell us when we do go to war with iran it will be easy because all there weapons are
from the stonage the only thing is the same bbc news site just last week was telling us that iran has just bought anti aircraft defences wel heres the story

Notionally, Iran has about the biggest armed forces in the Middle East, with more than half-a-million people in uniform, but decades of US-led arms embargoes have had a huge impact on the strength of its conventional armed forces.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
it's propaganda

I've seen youtube videos and pics right here
on ATS of Iranian hardware and missiles.
Their stock pile would make Hitler proud !!!

go to youtube and type in Iran military
and just look at the videos urself

I guess some networks think some folks
dont fact check or know any better

[edit on 8-8-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
here's another one showing Iran's fighter jets

it will not be a walk in the park
as BBC predicts.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Wow thanks for the reply i did not think they would be to usless or they would of attacked them by now. i always new the beeb has pretty strong goverment ties
i think this must be them getting all us sheep ready for whats to come and the shame of it is most people will believe it

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

"I guess some networks think some folks
dont fact check or know any better"

Where would they get a crazy idea like that?

BBC have been doing Iran down over the past few months now. Little digs here and there. My opinion is that these are not coming thick and fast enough to suggest they are prepping the public for something. But it's like leaving little suggestions about the place that are subtle enough to worm there way in. Planting the seeds so to speak.

Thanks for the vids Boondock.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I agree. I still think though the USA won't be the ones striking first.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
just out of curiosity what are the majority of there fighters (dont know what words to use) class? are there tanks mostly old soviet designs or do they produce a home grown version of there own tanks? not trying to dobut any one im just genuinely curious because from what ive seen most soviet era technology hasent been that effective(the only example i can think of is how the bmp's fuel tanks surround the crew compartment and i may be wrong) but what are the majority of there fighting vehicles and what not?

this is what i could dig up but i dont know of its authenticity www.defencetalk.com...

guess they do produce there own tanks thats kinda chill

[edit on 10-8-2010 by KilrathiLG]

en.wikipedia.org...

wikipedia seems to say they either use mostly outdated us and russian desgins or there own home grown versions just trying to add to the discussion

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

now i know its Wikipedia but does any one else find it surprising that they use the Uzi? a Jewish weapon kinda surprises me if there as angry at Israel as they claim its really an interesting list though
kyber(sp) dosent look half bad but it seems like they ship them to the PLA and dont even give it to there troops but that would problay change

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
www.examiner.com...

its from the examiner but it cites jane's defense weekly so that seems far more credible

so breifly summerize article irans missle forces are up there and decent but it says that most of there stuff is in fact aged and out of date

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

While we're on the subject of the ability of Iran's military forces. I introduce their late-Soviet Era military technology to the long [snip] of the US Air Force...

Link if it doesn't embed right.

While it's nice to see a ME country that's at least "trying" be act like the big boys but no matter how powerful they say their weaponry is, it won't matter in the least if they don't have the weapons systems and personnel training to boot.

And those videos you posted look as though Iran's no different than rednecks with their shooting into the air and "Dukes of Hazard" style driving. I hope those aren't official government training videos. Plus in the second video half way through it shows the military might of the Israeli forces which contained clips showing actual weapons systems and not just firing shells into the air.

Now to end this with another preview for the Iranians if they get to witness the awesome power of a grossly huge defense budget.

[edit on 8/11/2010 by mistafaz]

[edit on 8/11/2010 by mistafaz]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I think america wants minimal troops to be lost in the upcoming war, hence the sanctions and destabilization efforts.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

ya hit the proverbial nail right on the head there all of our sanctions and whatnot are just designed to minimize troop losses in the event of war well said!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

The Shahin is a copy of the U.S. Hawk missile(1960's technology), at least externally. But the Iranians have replaced the outdated dish homing radar on the Hawk with a modern phase array homing radar on the Shahin. That's a huge improvement.
A little off-topic, Iran is known to have a zero-power heavy-water nuclear reactor supplied by China(either during 1980's or 1990's) for research purpose/training nuclear engineers. A zero-power heavy-water nuclear reactor can be operated to produce weapons-grade plutonium. Don't be shock if Iran have weapons-grade plutonium stash away without telling anybody.

new topics

top topics

join