It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. hands over control of Iraq combat operations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi commandos showed off skills they learned from U.S. military forces, who Saturday formally handed over control of combat operations to Iraqi security forces.

The top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. Raymond Odierno, was on hand to watch the final American combat team, the 4th Brigade of the 2nd Infantry Division, tender responsibilities to the 6th Iraqi Army Division.

www.cnn.com...

This sounds a lot better than it actually is. What I mean by this, is that the MSM will try to spin this as an end to the Iraq war. In reality by Sept. 1 2010 there will only be 14,000 less U.S. troops in Iraq. There will still be 50,000 U.S. troops in Iraq for an undetermined amount of time.

I'm sure we will start to see more and more corruption on the part of the Iraqi security forces after this handover. The war in Iraq will still continue to rage and people will still continue to die.

I wish all but a few elite groups of coalition troops were removed from Iraq and Afghanistan.

With that said, I think it is time for me to go to bed. So all of you out there in ATS land, I wish you a great night and good dreams.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
How many years late?

That's all I have to say.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
It took the US military this long to train Iraqi troops...
I'd like to see any other country do what the US led NATO forces did in 8 years.

Stoning woman is ILLEGAL in Iraq now.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I'd like to see any other country do what the US led NATO forces did in 8 years.

well u have to realize that quite a large number of
recruits to these Iraqi Army Brigades were just there
to receive training in US Combat Techniques, then
they deserted the Iraqi Army and re-joined insurgent
forces. So it takes quite a long while to create a standing
Army if they keep dropping out to join the opposition.

As far as the stoning goes .....
it may come back in style
under Iraqi rule. Dont count chickens

edit for spelling

[edit on 8-8-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

[edit on 7-8-2010 by CanadianDream420]

ZZZ what?

Is that sarcasm, or are you serious?

Didn't Iraq already have troops? Didn't Iraq already have laws? Order? Saddam who was a revolutionized puppet?

Do you even know why Iraq was occupied?

It was to make Saddam an example to other Arab puppets who could have followed in the same path as him and cut the Strings of the puppet master (US).

Did you know, ever since Saddam cut the strings, Iraq has been stable, and the US continued trying to make it unstable and implemented sanctions?

Heck at the time when Saddam was killing innocent Kurds and Shiits, the US was the puppet master? The US protected its puppet from any condemnation.

Heck when Saddam used Western Bio/Chemical weapons against innocent Iranians, the Puppet master stopped the condemnation of Iraq again.

I'm hoping I understood what you said.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned, I think the Iraqi military is heck of a lot better off than it was years ago. It looks as though they have decent equipment and decent training. Here is the Iraqi Military as of 2010 and a video of the Iraqi Counter Terrorism Force in action.

They seem able and willing to take up the fight. Where I see the problem, is the gridlock by government in forming a coalition between the Sunni and Shia blocks. These politicians are imperiling the very well being of their nation for personal gain and power. As they sit on their hands and ignore each other; the insurgency is growing, terrorists are gaining strength, and political supporters are offing their opposition in the streets. In some cases there have been entire families eradicated over a political difference. Woman and children!

If the government has no willingness to form a government, the military is dead in the water. Any gains made are fruitless because they have no direction or coordination in the bigger scheme of things. The political stalemate is the major problem and the Saudis, Syrians, and the Iranians are waiting to get more involved in Iraqi affairs . They are exploiting the confusion and indecisiveness to their advantage. I want the Iraqis to take the wheel and govern as freely as possible. It seems the common Iraqi is willing, but the politicians seem to be on another page?

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
If the government has no willingness to form a government, the military is dead in the water.

no, there will just be a military coup
and there will be a dictator once again
and we're back to square one.
But now, they have a better Army and
equipment.

we've wasted 10 yrs and billions of dollars
and thousands of American lives.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Honor killings were illegal under Saddam too, though the punishment was fairly lenient (3 years in prison).

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by Jakes51
If the government has no willingness to form a government, the military is dead in the water.

no, there will just be a military coup
and there will be a dictator once again
and we're back to square one.
But now, they have a better Army and
equipment.

we've wasted 10 yrs and billions of dollars
and thousands of American lives.

You bring up a very good point about a potential coup happening if the politicians continue to govern in such a poor fashion. One has only so much patience. Hopefully, it is as bloodless as possible and the military leadership ensures new elections takes place at some time in the future in accordance to their constitution and in sight of international observers. However, in the power vacuum that is to take place with such an endeavor, a madman could also ascend to power in the confusion as Saddam Hussein did after the Coup of 1963.

The political environment is a mess over there and it does not look like they are willing to fall on their swords in forming a government. As they drag their feet, violence and terror continues to grow to what it was at the height of the insurgency.Furthermore, corruption is also thriving in the political disruption. Someone has got to bring order. So, a military coup could very well be a possibility? I hope you are wrong about wasting 10 years, thousands of American lives, and billions of dollars.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
U.S. troops have been involved in two incidents of combat this week alone. It looks like all of us on ATS were right once again. The U.S. will keep killing and keep getting killed. ALL troops should be brought back to the U.S. to fight our own problems and protect the homeland.

top topics

join