It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Offensive? On Purpose? Good or Bad thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This thread is a response to Intrepids thread "Offensive is a good thing?

Nothing wrong with his thread, but it is specifically about a group of T-shirts being marketed as "offensive." I want to delve deeper, and offer myself up as a test case.

I often wear things that could be considered offensive by some, so after participating in intrepids thread, I had to evaluate my motivations. Do I wear them with the intention of offending others? Do I wear them to draw attention to myself? Do I wear them to warn others off of me and maintain my personal space?

After some soul searching, I decided it was all of the above.

1. I decided that I do intend to offend those who would be offended. Let me explain. I hope to not offend anybody. I hope that the message is received and understood. But for those sensitive nancies that would find themselves offended.....good. I am happy to have pushed their buttons, and they shouldn't be so sensitive.

2. I like my personal space. I like people walking around me, and I like people to use good manners and try not to offend me. So, if I dress in a manner that says I may be grouchy, unstable, or aggressive, it gives me some space.

3. Do I want attention from strangers? I am not sure on that one, but I don't think so. I do like meeting like minded people though, and sometimes a t-shirt or a patch on my vest is a good ice-breaker, and I meet a person that I might like. So, I suppose wearing my opinion on my sleeve (literally), I get to meet people of similar opinions and avoid people of opposite opinions.

Here are some pics of my biker vest and a couple of t-shirts. For those that don't know what soggy biscuits is, go ask a navy man or some poor guy from an all male military school. As for the Vote or Get Sodomized shirt. It wasn't my idea, but it has gotten quite popular in my town. My best friend came up with it in 2004, and there were 3 original shirts. Now there are probably 30. I have made the local news twice by wearing my shirt to the polls and a Tea Party.

Feel free to ask any questions, or psychoanalyze me or yourself and share here!!

I didn't notice the anatomically correct naked people on my Alaskan shirt for a year! My 4 year old pointed them out to me just this week!!

[edit on 7-8-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
1. I decided that I do intend to offend those who would be offended.

Followed immediately by:

2. ...I like people to use good manners and try not to offend me.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to elaborate, but let me just say...Wow!

[edit on 7-8-2010 by WTFover]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

1. I decided that I do intend to offend those who would be offended.

Followed immediately by:

2. ...I like people to use good manners and try not to offend me.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to elaborate, but let me just say...Wow!

Well, I did offer myself up as a test case.

Nice catch. I guess offend wasn't the right word in the second part. Maybe it was, and you caught my Freudian slip. I don't know.

The example in my head is from my days at FSU. If I walk through head, high, no smile, and I look ahead without making eye contact, the sea of people splits and I never have to alter my gate or direction. If I make eye contact and smile and such, then the sea of people practically tramples me and I find myself walking twice as far to avoid the more aggresssive crowd. In that example, a doorag, and aggressive walk with no friendly smile meant getting directly to class, and not having to dance around anybody!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Feel free to ask any questions, or psychoanalyze me or yourself and share here!!

Not really a analysis, but I would say that wearing something with the expectation that it will offend others is an outward indication that you do not respect them and you want them to not respect you as well.

Does a shirt that says "Vote or get sodomized" add positivity or negativity to the world? Do we really need more negativity?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

That shirt seemed more appropriate and pertinent and true than the stupid P. Diddy "Vote or Die" campaign at the time.

In fact, if you do not vote, you will not die from it, but if you do not vote, the government will certainly get to give you a poke you know where!! (Even if you do vote, you might get screwed, but at least you did your due diligence to prevent it!)

So, that shirt may be offensive to some, but at least it is accurate, whereas the nationwide, well accepted, and much hyped vote or die campaign didn't even make sense?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
From personal experience I can tell you that my therapist, at least, back in the day, said that items of clothing not unlike the ones pictured represented a "predisposition towards disregarding societal norms"... A phrase I have never forgotten for some reason. He further said that acting antisocially was actually a defense mechanism to avoid emotional pain which others might cause.

Twenty years down the road I honestly can't say if the dude was right or not. I think the defense mechanism aspect had some truth - I still, to this day, refer to my leather as "armor". But I also, based upon myself, think that there is something of a challenge presented as well. A kind of test to see if other people judge a book by its cover. Anyone who'd disregard me because I have a black leather jacket and wear jeans and T's isn't somebody I want to know anyway.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

All I have to say, is if you are wearing some of those around your 4 year old, I find that offensive, especially if you drop him off at daycare wearing a shirt that mentions sododmy. Do you take the child out in public wearing that? I can see how people would give you space if you do.

I should certainly say, I'd give you a double take if I saw you wearing that, with a 4 year old in tow.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I agree with you and your therapist. I am by no means a true "biker." I would hate for a true biker gang to mistake me as such and give me a reality check! But, for the common person I will encounter, the biker vest and doorag gives me a little room. They don't know the difference, and they won't risk bugging me too much. (Plus, I do ride a bike everyday. Good gas mileage, no payment.)

I also like the challenge aspect. I get a quick read on people by seeing their reaction to me. It is very easy to separate the predators from the prey. Some people either don't notice, don't care, or are entirely unimpressed, while others give me a wide berth.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

reply to post by adjensen

That shirt seemed more appropriate and pertinent and true than the stupid P. Diddy "Vote or Die" campaign at the time.

In fact, if you do not vote, you will not die from it, but if you do not vote, the government will certainly get to give you a poke you know where!! (Even if you do vote, you might get screwed, but at least you did your due diligence to prevent it!)

So, that shirt may be offensive to some, but at least it is accurate, whereas the nationwide, well accepted, and much hyped vote or die campaign didn't even make sense?

I'm not much for politics, so I wasn't aware of a "Vote or die" campaign, and I agree that's pretty dumb as well. But it doesn't change the negativity of your shirt, and if, like me, people don't understand what you're parodying, you either have to explain it to the few who ask (at which point, it isn't effective) or recognize that most people will miss the point, and just think that you're creepy.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Personally I don't like shirts that say things on them - they make me feel like an advertising billboard. I stick to nice colors and keep em guessing. Its your choice tho, no problem. BTW I love Dixie too!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

All I have to say, is if you are wearing some of those around your 4 year old, I find that offensive, especially if you drop him off at daycare wearing a shirt that mentions sododmy. Do you take the child out in public wearing that? I can see how people would give you space if you do.

I should certainly say, I'd give you a double take if I saw you wearing that, with a 4 year old in tow.

LOL! My 4 year old was a 3 year old and he was on my shoulders while I wore that shirt and made the paper!

My kids don't go to daycare though. They have a stay at home mommy, but he is starting VPK this fall.

For the record, 4 year olds don't typically read, and most adults don't even know what sodomy actually is.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

LOL! My 4 year old was a 3 year old and he was on my shoulders while I wore that shirt and made the paper!

Interesting. What was the picture / article about, and were there any commentaries to the shirt?

For the record, 4 year olds don't typically read, and most adults don't even know what sodomy actually is.

Well, that is true, that 3 and 4 year olds don't typically read, but people who see you with the child do. As for adults not knowing what sodomy is? I think you are fooling yourself a bit with that reply!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Personally I don't like shirts that say things on them - they make me feel like an advertising billboard. I stick to nice colors and keep em guessing. Its your choice tho, no problem. BTW I love Dixie too!

I don't usually wear t-shirts with brand stuff either. THese were custom made for me and some buddies. I usually wear a white or black tee. (Actually, I usually wear a suit for my job!)

As far as Dixie. I am often amazed that black folks comment and like the flag, while white folks ask me if I get racist flack for it? Don't know what that means about people, but it was an odd thing that I noticed.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Neither good nor bad. Do whatever makes you happy or serves your purpose as long as it doesn't physically hurt someone. Some people aren't going to like it, but tough.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Interesting. What was the picture / article about, and were there any commentaries to the shirt?

It was just a photo accompanied by a story about the Tea Party event at the capital on 9/12 last year. No commentary. At the event, I had many people ask to take photos of me or with me, but I didn't realize the news had snapped one until someone called me the next day.

As for adults knowing exactly what sodomy is...sadly, I have had many people ask me, or make wrong guesses. In general, people just know that it is kinky and bad, and it goes along with Gomorrah. They don't know the specific act that it describes.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Well I think that by acknowledging who can and cannot read your shirt.

(For the record, 4 year olds don't typically read, and most adults don't even know what sodomy actually is.)

Should narrow down who you might be getting the attention of in the first place (or who's attention your trying to get).I usually find myself wanting to read peoples shirts because I feel like they are sort of talking to people without saying a word. Like a bumper sticker.

I may just be a rebellion thing, but IMO its an attention thing.

Peace to you...

new topics

top topics

join