It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong Solar Flare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

STRONG SOLAR FLARE

www.spaceweather.com

At 1825 UT on August 7th, magnetic fields around sunspot 1093 erupted, producing a strong M1-class solar flare. Several amateur astronomers caught the active region in mid-eruption. The blast hurled a CME into space. The cloud is not heading directly toward Earth, but it might deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetic field two or three days hence. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.lmsal.com
hubpages.com
www.swpc.noaa.gov
earthquake.usgs.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Solar Activity and Earthquakes
solar activity the real reason
Increasing solar activity could wreak havoc (Warning from NASA)
About Possible Influence of Solar Activity Upon Seismic and Volcanic Activities.

Mod Edit - All Caps Title.

[edit on Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:37:02 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The Sun is awaking ! Activitity is increasing ! And it's looking if it hasn't "got out of the right side of the bed" Increased Solar geomagnetic activity forces on our planet are also increasing. Would it be an assumption this will result in increased seismic activity within our planet. We should expect some exciting years ahead... Stay tuned...

www.spaceweather.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
yes it would be an assumption.

its not directed at us and it isn't a big flare. Maybe next time.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Thank you ! yes not this time... Well just a slight affect / graze... But yes all should be aware of the posing threat of one actually hitting the bullseye (Earth) Humans live a fragile existance on the crust of this beautiful rock in space...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Oh come on - its an M - might mess up a satellite or 2
No?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Gotta love the all caps sensationalist headline.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I wish for this activity in the winter. They keep saying high latitude viewers to watch for auroras, yet they forget it's too light at night up here. I'm not even very high up, 53rd parallel, but at 2 or 3 in the morning when you would expect darkness, it's really quite light out.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Its very simular to someone pointing a revolver to "your" head one of the chambers has a bullet in it. Sooner or later someone gets hurt... The Sun will fire that shot possibly this Solar season over the next few years. EMF blackout is serious and will change our electronic dependent society...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

The cloud is not heading directly toward Earth

How exactly does this warrant Breaking News status ?

No conspiracy, no imment danger, no nothing just a possibility of a glancing blow on the Earth

And someone already posted it in the appropriate section

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Considering how close this comes on the heels of the last one and the increase from C to M class, this is disturbing news.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

My apologies and my apologies to ATS Im new to this and still getting thu it. It was and is an important issue. And no intent was made to do the wrong thing...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjsmi2

Its very simular to someone pointing a revolver to "your" head one of the chambers has a bullet in it. Sooner or later someone gets hurt... The Sun will fire that shot possibly this Solar season over the next few years. EMF blackout is serious and will change our electronic dependent society...

I do not want to high jack this thread but what if or should I say when the day comes that the Earth gets hit so hard that everything more sophisticated than a flashlight gets zapped. No phones, no power, no cars, no nothing. It would be like electricity was uninvented. How would things go? How long would it that to get things back up and running? Now remember you first have to make the tools needed to make the tools needed to make the parts needed. It would reset everything back 200 years.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967

Originally posted by bjsmi2

I do not want to high jack this thread but what if or should I say when the day comes that the Earth gets hit so hard that everything more sophisticated than a flashlight gets zapped. No phones, no power, no cars, no nothing. It would be like electricity was uninvented. How would things go? How long would it that to get things back up and running? Now remember you first have to make the tools needed to make the tools needed to make the parts needed. It would reset everything back 200 years.

Who's to say it would?
There's a good chance it could be the disaster that totally destroys civilization as we know it.
Just like at what happened after katrina, a mad max scenario is completely possible.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bjsmi2

and sorry ATS i did put this under wrong heading....

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Geomagnetic storms affect long electrical conductors; powerlines, telephone lines, pipelines. Cars and personal electronics are not affected. Of course, if the power goes out you won't be able to pump gas or charge your iPod.

No doubt a severe storm would be trouble. This will not be one.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I had always thought that if the car was running there would be danger of frying the CPU. Cool to know it shouldn't.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bjsmi2

I for one very much appreciate the news submission. The sun is coming out the deepest slumber we've ever witnessed and now we have two CME's within a weeks time. The first a C or minor eruption aimed directly at earth and now a week later an M or medium sized eruption thankfully not point directly at us.

At this rate an escalation to X or major class with a direct hit over the next few years seems very plausible. If we got one as big or bigger then the one that hit in the 1850's then we may very well be back to 1850, only without the tools of the age.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Now remember you first have to make the tools needed to make the tools needed to make the parts needed. It would reset everything back 200 years.

A good idea is to have an old and simple car or motorcycle, get spares for all the electrical parts essential to running the engine and keep them in a make shift faraday cage - this is dead simple to do, something ideal would be maybe a metal ammo box from the army surplus store, in the trunk of your car bolt it down or run an earth strap from the box to the frame of the vehicle... You could also do the same in your house, you just have to earth the metal container out some how - anything electrical inside should survive just fine.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
this is number 2? what is the old and true saying "3rd time is the charm" S&F BTW, all ways like to know of this type event.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
www.spacew.com...

I just found this on line. The power companies take the topic of GMS very serious. It is only a mater of time before we are hit big time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join